• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing please recommend some .223 deer hunting ammo

logic factory

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
connecticut
i ordered a barrel several months back for my rifle. as deer season is drawing closer and i have still not received my barrel i need to form a contingency plan. so here we are. upon my quick search it seems like barnes tsx get some good reviews. the barrel is a 1 in 9 twist. there is a good chance i will only be taking head and neck shots so at that point i would like some more accurate rounds even if they are ballistic tips.

what are some more accurate .223 over the counter rounds?

what are some recommended .223 hunting rounds that one could send into the engine room and stand a good chance of dropping oil pressure and kicking a rod or 4?

Re: please recommend some .223 deer hunting ammo

Barnes TSX is a poor performing bullet in every caliber I've used it. I never got one to expand, little hole in, little hole out. You'd be better off just using an FMJ atleast they sometimes fragment a little or deform some.

The federal fusion is a great bullet though, it would probably be my first stop for a factory 223 deer load.

If you head shoot them anything from the 223 will work. I really like the vmax for that, 40-60gr all work well. I'd suggest the 60 since you have a 1:9 plus it has a little more ass. I've never neck shot a deer with a vmax though so I couldn't tell you how they work for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
thank you for the link. a couple people speak positively about their experience with 62 barnes.

how much better did the fusions group for you than barnes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. </div></div>
thank you for sharing your experience. can you share anything specific about the barnes you did not like? i.e. where was you shot placement and what was the result? you mention a pass through, how far did you have to track the animals?

how well did the fusions group for you?

i think i will keep searching for an accurate round in the 55-68gr range. i will then consider trying a couple of the front runners to see what the rifle likes best.

I put them in the shoulders, and vitals. Never did expand. The shoulder shot deer went down but the ones shot behind the shoulders in the vitals all ran off. I wouldn't judge bullet performance by how far they run though. I've had deer shot with poor performing bullets go down and deer with a great performing bullet and good shot run a ways. A wild animal with adrenaline and determination can be pretty unpredictable. One of the deer I shot in 2010 I shot behind the shoulder through the vitals because he was on the move. The energy from the bullet was so great that it blew its chest cavity wide open and there was nothing left of the heart or lungs. That deer ran 200 yards leaving a 12" wide blood trail except for the last 10 yards because there wasn't any left.

I haven't shot the fusions in a 223 but a few 308's they were sub MOA, typically right around 3/4 which is minute of deer further than most people have any business shooting one.

If you're going to do headshots I would seriously look into the vmax's. The only downside is if a nice buck comes along you're going to have to pass on it.

Amax also works great and you can stabilize it if you have a 1:9 twist or faster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
thank you for addressing my questions and providing more information for me to interpret.

it seems like i am okay compromising expansion right now to have accuracy. i like the idea of getting some extra fps just to help that much more with my drop out to 200. if my other barrel shows up to late ill take what ever accuracy i can get but i would like to be ~3/4 moa. there are factory barrels that have done this but i also understand they are more exception than rule.

i will search for additional information pertaining to accuracy of the vmaxs when compared to other bullets we are discussing.

68 gr Hornady match HP - sucks. Takes 4 or 5 chest shots to drop a doe deer.

77 gr Sierra Match King HP - sucks, but not quite as bad. Kills deer but not quickly.

55 gr Hornady red tip factory loads - works ok. Not a deep penetrator, but on a broadside shot it will destroy the lungs and get your deer for you.

Probably the TBBC bullet would do a better job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
understood.
thank you for sharing your knowledge.
i will continue to think about this topic as it may become a reality in the next couple months.
thank you all for the feedback thus far.

I've killed 2 blacktails with a 60gr TBBC out of a 22-250, a muley with a 62gr tsx out of a Swift, and a whole bunch of crop damage whitetails with 75 gr AMAX's out of a 22-243. Almost all were chest shots. the barnes and Bear Claws left golfball sized exits. The AMAX's golfball to tennisball size exits. Shots ranged from 20 yards to just short of 450. Most didn't make it more than 20 feet(including the Barnes). A few of the AMAX's ran 50 to 100yards, even with nothing but soup in the chest cavity. I've also had great success with headshots using 69gr SMK's out of a .223(40 yards and closer, however)

I gave some Federal 64 grain TRU (Tactical Rifle Urban) to some friends. They killed several hogs and whitetail with it. All 1 shot kills to the vitals.

Federal Premium 60 gr. Nosler Partition. It works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've killed 2 blacktails with a 60gr TBBC out of a 22-250, a muley with a 62gr tsx out of a Swift, and a whole bunch of crop damage whitetails with 75 gr AMAX's out of a 22-243. Almost all were chest shots. the barnes and Bear Claws left golfball sized exits. The AMAX's golfball to tennisball size exits. Shots ranged from 20 yards to just short of 450. Most didn't make it more than 20 feet(including the Barnes). A few of the AMAX's ran 50 to 100yards, even with nothing but soup in the chest cavity. I've also had great success with headshots using 69gr SMK's out of a .223(40 yards and closer, however) </div></div>
even though you are launching them at much quicker velocities i would be very happy with similar results for all of the bullets you mention; amax, barnes and smks. i will have to verify the amax are offered in a lighter grain bullet as it is to much bullet for my 1 and 9 and the velocities i can push them.
thank you for sharing your in-the-field experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atirador</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
i will also consider these thank you. how well did they group for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter530</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
thank you for sharing. ill ask you the same question, how well did they group for you? also what range did you test them too on deer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
thanks for another vote of confidence on the barnes but the 75 amax are to much bullet for my rifle. i will see if a sub 70gr. pill is available and hope it preforms similarly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: virulentus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.</div></div>
a quick search pulled up a site that has the most ballistic info for a box of .223 i have seen yet. it sounds reasonable to think beyond the 200 yards i was originally. thank you for the suggestion.

I haven't even shot them. I have a large stash of it and gave a box to a friend to try out. He hasn't shot for groups, but said they put down deer and hogs pretty well.

75gr Amax out of my 20" Tac Rem 700 are 1 MOA or less. They open big holes in coyotes. Will be using them on deer this year.

Winchester Ranger 64 gr. not real accurate about 1 in. at 100 yds. but they put deer and hogs down quick and they are cheap

I have sold several youth 223 rifles to friends and customers for their kids. i have recommended winchester 55 soft point ammo. My friends have reported that the deer they've shot are DRT at distances of 100 yards and in. With kids shooting the shot placement wasn't always spot on and it still did the job.