• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please Review My Custom Build

btoor2413

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2012
Franklin, WI
Hi everyone I am fairly new to long range shooting and I want to start with a fine piece of equipment. I am about to order my rifle from Tactical Rifles down in FL. Can you guys please give me some advice on any changes that I should make, and if any of you have dealt with Tactical Rifles before how are they as a business? Here's what I have.

Tactical M40 Rifles - .308 Winchester
Receiver - Remington 700 action - blueprinted
Detachable Magazine
Barrel - 24" #7 heavy contour 10 twist
Trigger Pull - 2.75lbs
Bolt - Chimera precision ground spiral fluted match grade bolt with magnum extractor
Picatinny Rail - Mil-Standard 1913 rail - 20 MOA
Stock - Manners T4 stocl with 3 studs underneath
Muzzle - Recessed match grade crown

Thanks for all the help guys.

Re: Please Review My Custom Build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi everyone I am fairly new to long range shooting and I want to start with a fine piece of equipment. I am about to order my rifle from Tactical Rifles down in FL. Can you guys please give me some advice on any changes that I should make, and if any of you have dealt with Tactical Rifles before how are they as a business? Here's what I have.

Tactical M40 Rifles - .308 Winchester
Receiver - Remington 700 action - blueprinted
Detachable Magazine
Barrel - 24" #7 heavy contour 10 twist
Trigger Pull - 2.75lbs
Bolt - Chimera precision ground spiral fluted match grade bolt with magnum extractor
Picatinny Rail - Mil-Standard 1913 rail - 20 MOA
Stock - Manners T4 stocl with 3 studs underneath
Muzzle - Recessed match grade crown

Thanks for all the help guys. </div></div>
You're on the right track, not wanting to waste your money. Personally, I would just order a Remington 700 "5R Mil-Spec" and be done with it. It's a great out-of-the-box rifle that typically runs $1,100 or so.

However, lets look at the rifle you are thinking of ordering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Receiver - Remington 700 action - blueprinted </div></div>
- Is that a blued or stainless steel action? Which do you want and why? What finish comes on the action and barrel?

- What work (exactly) do they do when "blue printing" an action?
Does that work include:

1. True receiver lugs?
2. True receiver face?
3. True receiver threads?
4. True both sides of bolt lugs?
5. True bolt nose?
6. True the bolt face?
7. Install over-sized Recoil Lug?
8. Pin recoil lug to action?
9. TIG weld bolt handle to bolt?
10. Install tactical bolt knob?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Detachable Magazine</div></div>
- Who's bottom metal and what magazine? CDI? Surgeon? American Precision Arms? Badger Ordnance? Pacific Tool & Guage (PT&G)?
not all bottom metal and definately not all magazines are made equal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel - 24" #7 heavy contour 10 twist</div></div>
Who's barrel? Bubba's House of Uber-accurate barrels? Krieger, Bartlien, Rock, or Satern cut rifle barrel? A Benchmark, Hart, or Shilen button rifled barrel?
make sure you know what you're paying for up front. As with bottom metal and magazines, all barrels are not created equal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trigger Pull - 2.75lbs</div></div>
Factory Rem 700 trigger tuned? Jewel trigger, Rifle Basix, Timney, Huber, CG Jackson Xtreme trigger?
Same rule applies here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bolt - Chimera precision ground spiral fluted match grade bolt with magnum extractor</div></div>
Spiral fluted bolts look very cool, but other than that, why do you want it? What benefit, other than looks, does it add to the rifle. Yes, there are valid reasons for doing this but do you know what they are?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picatinny Rail - Mil-Standard 1913 rail - 20 MOA</div></div>
Who's rail? Aluminum or steel and WHY? Are you trying to save maximum weight and going with aluminum, or buying steel for the upmost in rigidity. Once again, not all rails are created equal. Badger Ordnance, Seekins, US Optics, Nightforce? Or are we talking EGW or some other bargain basement brand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: btoor2413</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stock - Manners T4 stocl with 3 studs underneath</div></div>
Manners makes EXCELLENT stocks. Does this come with the Manners Mini-chassis?

But most of all, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">how much are you paying for this bundle of joy?</span></span> How does that really compare to what you could get elsewhere? It's your money, but I've seen people spend top dollar on rifles only to walk away from the sport a few months later.

Tactical rifles makes some good sticks but seem very pricey.

I think Gap offers a better value. Also if you plan on upgrading to an aftermarket bolt than go ahead and get a custom action.

Price together the parts and then add 1200 for smithing.

Whats the price you were quoted?

I think you could probably do better with

GA Precision
SAC
LA Precision
Robert Gradous
Or a dozen other on this site.Alsop think about putting 2 flush cups on the left side. Rifles this heavy carry better on the side.

Most of the crap we do to our guns is because we want too and not need too. a stock 5r 700 or model 10 savage will do just as good as a $3000 rig. Blueprinting is only needed in a rifle that has accuracy issues. See how it shoots first. To say anything about your build is "wrong" would be wrong since it is your build and you know what you want.

I'd opt for a lighter contour barrel personally, otherwise it's a great build.

I agree. I think remington varmint contour is the heaviest I will be going in the future. I think a %3 contour is probably the best all around most versitile contour.

I can't really comment on the build that you have listed, but I will say that I'm pretty new to precision shooting also.

I bought a lightly used Remington 700 Varmint that had the stock replaced/bedded. I actually traded for it, but it probably ran me about $700 total, and shoots better than I do.

If these pricey custom jobs weren't worth the money, people wouldn't buy them. With that said, you're probably not going to be taking advantage of the quality for your first thousand or so rounds. Personally, I'd rather wear out a stock/cheap barrel learning to shoot than an expensive one.
Once I get to the point that the cheap rifle I have now is holding me back, then I'll look into a custom build.
Just my $.02 though.

Out of curiosity, have you considered how the cost of a trued reciever stacks up against buying something that is the "bottom end" of the more specialized manufacturers?