• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please school me on short barrel .308's

komishe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2012
California , Wheeeeee!
My ADD has kicked in spurred by the fact that my buddy is turning out some pretty damn accurate barrels and I'm just about out of things to Cerakote. I have components that NEED to be built into a shorty .308:D

I've been browsing the stubby rifle thread and notice a lot have high twist rates and the majority are @ 18".

I was thinking of going 16"+brake or even using the brake to get it up to legal length.
I have a 1-11.25 twist barrel I could use.

Just looking for input from people who know, before I ruin a good barrel. I'd hate to use the wrong twist or completely neuter the round by going too short.

Not looking for a 1000y tack driver. I just want a handy brush/truck gun that would be useful to 500ish yards more or less. I would however like it to be accurate as possible with the 175SMK that I already have.

I'm sure it's been beat to death but the search function really seems to suck since the server change.

Thanks
-Komishe

Thanks Mike! That looks like it should keep me busy for a minute:D

I fucking love this site.

Did you guys try cutting it shorter than 18"? I wouldn't mind losing a little more speed for the sake of handiness.......

Last edited:
I have a POF P308 with Mike Rock 14.5" 1:10 barrel with pinned brake to make it legal non-sbr.

Mine is a tack driver. Shoots 100yds 0.69" all day with FGMM 175smk and 168gr AMAX with best group measuring 0.53" with factory ammo.

I recently started doing load development and best group is 0.43" with once fired Hornady Match brass, 42.5gr Varget with 175smk.

You should have zero accuracy issues with a 14.5" pinned barrel, especially shooting 500 and in. Guys are shooting the 14.5" out to 800 without issue.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike! That looks like it should keep me busy for a minute ;)

No worries and if you would like to speak just shoot me a pm with your number I would be happy to call :)

I have a POF P308 with Mike Rock 14.5" 1:10 barrel with pinned brake to make it legal non-sbr.

Mine is a tack driver. Shoots 100yds 0.69" all day with FGMM 175smk and 168gr AMAX with best group measuring 0.53' with factory ammo.

I recently started doing load development and best group is 0.43" with once fired Hornady Match brass, 42.5gr Varget with 175smk.

Nice shooting Padom...

Mike
Tac Ops

Wow thanks guys!

Thoughts on using the 1-11.25 for 168's and 175's? I see a 1-8 in the px that may be better suited or I could just order whatever's optimal.

I'm leaning toward the 14+" with a badger thruster pinned on.

I really recommend going no shorter then 16". It's demenishing returns once you get down to a certain level. A little 16" with Badger on it would look pretty sweet though. 1-10 will be fine, no need for a 8 twist unless you suppress it and want to shoot real heavy projectiles like 208 Amax's.

How's the Creed doing? I miss that thing :( but I hope its serving you well.

Last edited:
Nice shooting Padom...

Mike
Tac Ops

Thanks Mike. Really happy with this rifle. Will get a chance to stretch it out to 1000 the end of October which is why Im currently do some load development with 175smk and 178amax.

Also a good trigger will help tighten up your groups. My groups tightened up noticeably when I replaced the stock POF 4lb trigger with an SSA-E.

I A little 16" with Badger on it would look pretty sweet though. 1-10 will be fine, no need for a 8 twist unless you suppress it and want to shoot real heavy projectiles like 208 Amax's.
How's the Creed doing? I miss that thing :( but I hope its serving you well.

that's what I'm thinking!My AK is just fine for the deer I get so I'm gonna go short short.
We only get fake cans here:mad: so I guess there's not much use for the 1-8.......

She's well cared for but often neglected for the Scalpel Creed. I'll take it out tomorrow for you.
Hope your new build is filling the empty spot in yer heart.

that's what I'm thinking!My AK is just fine for the deer I get so I'm gonna go short short.
We only get fake cans here:mad: so I guess there's not much use for the 1-8.......

She's well cared for but often neglected for the Scalpel Creed. I'll take it out tomorrow for you.
Hope your new build is filling the empty spot in yer heart.

The new build is, but that gun will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first precision rifle, don't forget if you ever get rid of it, call me first. I'll do whatever I can to scrape funds together to buy it back if you ever had to put it up forsale.

Let me know if you're ever ready. Just say the word man. I don't think I'll ever want to sell it unless you're buying bro.
I honestly don't use it enough to justify having it:eek: I may have shot the barrel out of the Scalpel so it might see some hard use soon. I'll clean the barrel and see if my fears are real......

Back on topic, I think I'll get a 32" straight taper 1:10 and make 2 barrels:D

Let me know if you're ever ready. Just say the word man. I don't think I'll ever want to sell it unless you're buying bro.
I honestly don't use it enough to justify having it:eek: I may have shot the barrel out of the Scalpel so it might see some hard use soon. I'll clean the barrel and see if my fears are real......

Back on topic, I think I'll get a 32" straight taper 1:10 and make 2 barrels:D

good idea about a 32 for 2 barrels...had not thought about that...Get a 33 if you can to make the Gunsmith happy that he's supplying you with two true 16" barrels vs a 15.97 from blade width...BATFE can by fussy about barrel length...

I'm assuming you are suggesting straight contour with no taper. My original impression was what a great idea that would be to get two shorty barrels from one. Factoring the added weight may impact it's overall "handiness", but then again I haven't handled many 16" bolt guns. 20" Rem Varmint about as short and heavy as I've been and it wasn't a light weight.

good idea about a 32 for 2 barrels...had not thought about that...Get a 33 if you can to make the Gunsmith happy that he's supplying you with two true 16" barrels vs a 15.97 from blade width...BATFE can by fussy about barrel length...

We be smiffin' in the garage.

What kinda fuck fuck rules should I be watching out for so I don't get charged with constructive intent or whatever that crap is? The idea is to make it around 14.5-15" and contour the thruster brake to match then pin n' weld 'er. Finished length will be 16 or 17.

I'm assuming you are suggesting straight contour with no taper. My original impression was what a great idea that would be to get two shorty barrels from one. Factoring the added weight may impact it's overall "handiness", but then again I haven't handled many 16" bolt guns. 20" Rem Varmint about as short and heavy as I've been and it wasn't a light weight.

Gonna give 'er a deep fluting;) Not too worried about the weight, just want it compact as possibe.

We be smiffin' in the garage.
What kinda fuck fuck rules should I be watching out for so I don't get charged with constructive intent or whatever that crap is? The idea is to make it around 14.5-15" and contour the thruster brake to match then pin n' weld 'er. Finished length will be 16 or 17.
Gonna give 'er a deep fluting;) Not too worried about the weight, just want it compact as possibe.

Do it that way and you are golden...

I have a bone stock DPMS recon GII 16" that I only have about 70 rounds through but it is consistantly shooting 3/4" groups with m118LR and with a 1-6 scope. I think with a better trigger and more mag. and once its broke in completely that will even shrink some. In addition I am waiting on a 12.5" POF that I can't wait to run some testing on out to 500 or so.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

This will help you determine if 1-11.25 is fast enough. I get around 2400fps from my 16" chrome lined LMT with 175's. It's a 1-10. Myself personally. I have a 1-8 Bartlein that I plan on cutting to 16" for my bolt. I chose a 1-8 because I want to have the ability to stabilize 240gr+ bullets subsonic. For supersonic rounds it may over-stabilize. I forget who had one around here but they said it will exaggerate any imperfections in the bullet itself. It's not a concern for me if it bug holes. If I can hit an IPSC at 800y with some sort of consistency I will be happy. Using my 16" LMT with 175's going 2400 I can really piss an IPSC off at 1K.

2570fps with 175 Matchburners over 46.2 2208 (2.935 COAL), 17" 11.25tw Bartlein.

I like the short barrel, but no matter what anyone says, I'd surely have appreciated some more velocity in the windy as feck f-tr match I shot the other day.