• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please tell me about SWFA

Fatelvis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2003
Mokena, IL
I'm liking these scopes and am thinking of buying one. A lot of good has been said about them, and they seem reasonably priced for their quality. Were they/are they associated with Tasco? Where are they made? Any more info on the glass quality, and manufactutring details would be appreciated! Thanks!

There's a lot on the SWFA SS line of scopes here, so a search will provide you a lot more info than I will here. I've owned a few myself and used them at work on Barrett M99s as well. Great scopes, very good glass even on the lower end ones, and along with Vortex they are the best bang for your buck on the market. They used to be Tasco, but SWFA bought the line from them and control all the production and distribution solely themselves. I think (don't quote me on this) that the lower end ones were/are made in the Philippines, and the FFP variable and HD scopes are made in Japan (this I know for sure).

They will warranty them for life, transferable as well. Just don't expect a manual with them. They are no frills but no bullshit either.

Thanks for the response.
Are they known for good tracking and long lasting mechanical innards? That is one thing that I am really concerned with. I do a lot of cranking on the turrets, and I don't want them wearing prematurely.

They track well, and when they do finally wear out you can probably get a replacement in under a week. I've never had one fail to track correctly, so crank away.

I have two of them. A SS 12x42 & the SS HD 1-6x24 FFP. Great quality and performance. I can't really come up with any real complaints about the two. Buy with confidence...

I have bought several scopes from SWFA and have to say the company is great to deal with in my book. They will take your old scope in trade so little by little I upgrade my scopes as my needs change and funds become available.

I am no expert but I shoot a lot, and I have used many different scopes. I recommend the SSHD's all of the damn time. For the price, there is no better scope. I think they would crush the competition with a nice Horus-type reticle. I'd say give it a try. If you don't like it, return it or sell it. I doubt that would happen...

I am no expert but I shoot a lot, and I have used many different scopes. I recommend the SSHD's all of the damn time. For the price, there is no better scope. I think they would crush the competition with a nice Horus-type reticle. I'd say give it a try. If you don't like it, return it or sell it. I doubt that would happen...

i am with FAlex on this one, myself and several shooting buddies own a total of 9 SWFA scopes, from the fixed 10x and 20X to 3-9 HD a 1-6 and 3 5-20, we never have issues or problems ever and we shoot at least once a month with caliber from 204 ruger to 338 edge, always repeatable even from one scope correction to another.

I keep an SWFA/Super Sniper 3-9 x 42 FFP Mil/Mil mounted on my 50BMG just to have glass on it so guys can screw around with it on at fairly short ranges. Once the B.E.A.S.T. gets delivered it will be in a QD mount and I'll slap it onto the 50 for serious shooting. I can tell you that spending it's life solely on a 50BMG rifle that scope has held up beautifully. It still tracks properly, maintains zero, and is by far the least expensive FFP scope of it's quality I've seen. They seem to have gotten a bit more expensive from a few years ago, but if you're not ready to spend the money on REALLY high end glass, I don't think you can go wrong with it. Even if you spend an additional 1k on optics I don't know that you'd be gaining 1k worth of improvement.

The SWFA 5-20 HD and the new 3-15 FFP are both very good for the money. The scope pretty much comes in a wrapped in a piece of tissue paper in a box, no manual, cloth, or anything else. I prefer Vortex to SWFA for their CS and military discount, but to each his own.

Great scope for teh money, only thing you have to do is tighten the turret allen screws, every single one of their scopes I bought (4) has had loose turret screws.