• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Please tell me I didn't f*ck up

SHwbyfan

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Oklahoma
Here's my gear.. NF 5-25 ATACR, Gen I in NF ultralight 6 screw med. rings torqued to spec. sitting on NF 20 MOA heavy duty base on top of a Mark V Weatherby

So I pulled a bone-head rookie move and I'm hoping I didn't mess anything up. I pulled my 30-378 outta the safe today to get ready for an antelope hunt in New Mexico coming up. I slapped the magnetospeed on it and squeezed off a round and it was 12" low, 3" right. Couldn't believe it so I squeezed off another one.... 12" low touching the first shot. I was at a complete loss and didn't know where to start. It's never been more than 1/4" off every other time I'd shot it.

So I took the magnetospeed off and squeezed off a couple more, both touching 11" low, 3" right. Well that eliminated that variable, even though I knew that wasn't the issue as I'd shot it with the MS before. So I re-zeroed and shot a 3 shot 1/2" group on the bullseye and then grabbed another gun I'd. Fought to shoot for a buddy..

Got to lookin at my gun when I got home and there was my problem. Halfway down the bell was touching the front of the base. Earlier this spring, which was the last time I had shot it, I felt like my scope was too far forward. So I moved it back where I felt like I needed it and didn't think realize it was sitting on the base when I torqued it down.

Did I screw this thing up having it torqued down in a bind like that?

pull the scope, if the bell isnt dented, chances are its fine.

sounds like the rifle was grouping well, so chances are the mechanics are fine......scopes are a lot more durable than people think they are

I wouldn't worry too much about it, NF scopes are tough and can take some pretty harsh treatment. If the guns shooting consistantly you should be good to go. You can always do a tracking test just to confirm and make you feel better as well!

I wouldn't worry too much. I would pop off the scope and grind down the front of that base so there would be no more contact. After that remount and test but I would bet you are fine and probably just have a little scratch in the scope to remind you of your mistake.

There's no dent, just a knick that's more like a scratch. I know NF are robust as hell, but they're still precision equipment and can get messed up. I thought about the tall test and will probly do one, I just got on here in a haste to see what everyone else thought. They could either put my mind at rest or worry the shit outta me.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The problem isn't the bell, it's "Did you bend the tube?" Move the scope back where it was or find new taller rings, mount the scope back up and see if it will re-zero and remain consistent.

The good news is it seems consistent, so even if you bent it a bit, it's still going to shoot in the same place once you get it re-zeroed..

I immediately moved it forward as soon as I saw what was going on. I also adjusted my zero back where it was. I'm gonna get to the range later today and test it out.

Naw, that skinny tube is probably bent for good. Will never hold zero again. You better take it off and send it to me so i can check it out for ya ! ;-)

I immediately moved it forward as soon as I saw what was going on. I also adjusted my zero back where it was. I'm gonna get to the range later today and test it out.

Well I made it to the range today after resetting the scope back to the original zero. It was spot on. Reached out to 650 which was 10.0 MOA, dialed and banged it over and over. What a relief, other than the scuff on the bottom of the bell.

Next time I'm gonna go ahead and make sure everything is clear before I torque it down and throw it in the safe.

Thanks for the help, guys!