• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pleased with my AI AE Mk III

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
After lusting after one of these things for years I finally got one and I am extremely happy with it so far. Today I shot some loads that I had worked up for a 700p that I used to own and they worked very well in the AE. I am curious how well it will shoot once I work up a load for this rifle. I'm not that great at shooting groups (prone, bipod and bag) but this rifle shot well right out of the gate. I love .308s.
smile.gif

BIG thanks for all of you who had input in my previous threads, I think I made the right choice with a little guidance. Anyways, just wanted to share my first experience with an AI AE.

aiae.jpg

resampled20111203125052.jpg

resampled20111203124952.jpg

resampled20111203125124.jpg

Re: Pleased with my AI AE Mk III

You know, if for some reason you do not feel pleased with that rifle. Feel free to send it my way!
grin.gif

I have to absolutely agree with you. I am in a very similar situation. Recently bought an AE MK I used. I mounted and zeroed the scope last week and shot very similar groups with FGMM. It makes me very happy that I spent the coin on it. Now I have to get the damn barrel threaded, and i don't want to let it out of my hands.

That's a gorgeous rifle and looks to shoot the typical tiny groups that all AI's do. I'm curious about how you like the trigger and grip relationship? I was really set on getting one of these until I shot one. DOC1911 graciously let me run a few rounds thru his a while back. When I was comfortable on the grip my trigger finger was into the trigger guard to the second knuckle. It was really uncomfortable to bring it out to where the trigger was in the meat of the tip of my finger. I actually felt like I was pushing the trigger to the left while I was squeezing it. Of course, you adapt to what you're shooting and that rifle put the three rounds I shot in the same hole, but it was a completely different feel from my Remington/McMillan A5 that I'm used to. So different and uncomfortable in fact, that I decided against getting one.

E.T.A: I'm an idiot. I read LonewolfUSMC's post last and thought this was his rifle.

Apologies!!!

But I'd still like to know your thoughts...

That looks AWESOME! Congrats, I know you've been excited about it.

Thanks guys!

Oneshot, I'm quite biased. The first time I held an aics I loved it. I've had 4-5 of the aics over the years and they work for me. I have a mcmillan a5 on my match rifle and I'm less comfortable on it, never know where to put my thumb... On the upside, this ae will probably my match rifle for next year.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks AWESOME! Congrats, I know you've been excited about it. </div></div>

Thanks buddy! Yeah, I'm really happy with it and glad to be back into a .308. The. 260 ballistically is awesome but I couldn't deal with .005" difference in seating depth having a decent impact on accuracy. Too finicky for me as I want to cram a bullet into a case and have it shoot good with as little work as possible.
smile.gif

What's the barrel length?

Looking great. I have one of these in the works as well, glad I finally made the jump.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys!

Oneshot, I'm quite biased. The first time I held an aics I loved it. I've had 4-5 of the aics over the years and they work for me. I have a mcmillan a5 on my match rifle and I'm less comfortable on it, never know where to put my thumb... On the upside, this ae will probably my match rifle for next year.
smile.gif

</div></div>
Well there ya have it. I understand what you mean about the thumb. I guess it's all about what you're willing to get used to. I have to say... the one I shot was the only rifle I ever shot that put 3 in one hole the very first time I ever held it. Congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ruth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the barrel length? </div></div>

20" barrel

Swweeett! Someday I to will own one. I just love those rifles! Have a great time shooting it!!!!

I just got my mkii last week. I'm so happy I spent the money on it. It will change your outlook on rifles once you shoot an ai.

Makes me wish there was an upgrade option for the MkII that I have. I really like the new bolt.

Awesome. I'm saving up and looking at what to sell to get mine.

I had a chance to shoot my MK3 today. I was very impressed with the trigger. It has a decent first stage with a light and very crisp second. My other rifle is in a aics so I'm comfortable with the stock. It appears to have a node at 2700ish with 175s. While zeroing the scope a friend of mine shot a 3 shot group that measured .400 outside @ 100. I know was only 3 but a great start to a rifle that only has 48 through it now. I picked this rifle up at Mile High and can't say enough about them, great people and service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black X, is that the muzzle brake that came with it? Looks like the AIAW... </div></div>

Yep, it's the muzzle brake that came with it.