• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pls check my thinking - 308,150 gr, upto 500 yards

SlimWallet

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2008
Colorado
Gents,

Been smacking things pretty good up to 250 yards but past that, me and the old '06 seem to wander off target. Yep, part of the issue is me but I think the old gun and inexpensive 30 yr old scope is part of it too.

Anyway, got a nice custom 308 lined up... and need a scope for it. Been thinking about the NF 2.5x10 with the illuminated Velocity reticle. Primary use is for mule deer out to 400-500 yards and an elk once in awhile.

Illuminated due to "old eyes" and late evening hunts.

Like the 2.5 because most shots still come in less than 100 yards.

Velocity reticle to help out beyond my apparent 250 yard limit.

308 has a bipod on it, so I can settle in, run the zoom to ten and take the shot.

So, am I thinking right and are there other scope alternatives?

Thanks,

Slim

Re: Pls check my thinking - 308,150 gr, upto 500 yards

I think you have the right idea with the NF. Your gonna want something durable to take hunting and not lose zero if you bump or ding it on anything plus the velocity reticle that you seem to have a liking for. Can't go wrong IMO.

I have a 2.5-10x32 -- I hated this scope next to my USOs until I mounted it on a Tikka Scout. That's when I realized it's a great application as a field scope: slim design, forgiving eye relief, smaller sight picture.

I can easily see a 0.5" target dot at 200 yards with the scope. Follow-up shots are easy and fast. My only gripe? No parallax adjustment & both tabs on the included scope caps broke.

For what you describe using it for, I would not recommend spending extra for ZS.

I think that would be a wonderful set up. versatile, light, sleek looking (if it matters to you) and very high quality.

C_K

sounds like an ideal selection I reckon, the nightforce hard wear holds zero well and tracks well also

Thanks for the comments.

BUT, after thinking about this some more and the type of hunting/shooting I do, I wonder if a fixed power....4 or 6... illuminated, ballistic reticle would be better for me. I shoot enough that I can learn which crossline to use at 300 - 500 yards and then I don't have to mess with the dial. The NF must be dialed up to 10 to use but I would normally hunt with it at 2.5 - 4 power.

Would an ACOG 4 power look stupid on a bolt action 308???

Your thoughts please....

Thanks,

Slim

I think your previous idea fits the bill a lot better to be honest with you. Not that ACOG are bad, but the smaller nightforce would served you a lot better in my humble opinion.

I've spent a lot of time behind the NF 2.5-10X32. As Hamstur said, it is a great field scope and has been wonderful for hunting. Slim, you're right on as far as most of the criteria go. The mag range is perfect for hunting. I wouldn't worry about having to dial to 10X to use the reticle. If you need to hold over or dial, then you have time. 2.5X is where I'd leave it most of the time.

Zero-stop may not seem like a necessity, but if you decide not to get it you will have to keep track of your turns and will not just be able to go back to your zero easily. There are no turn indicators on the compact NXS turrets.

Now here's the concern: It's not an illuminated reticle that will make much difference in low light. It's the amount of light transmitted and the clarity of the glass. NF glass is good but not great. The 32 mm objective becomes a limitation too.

I doubt you'll be seriously banging the scope around so I would recommend looking at something less beefier than the NF and with better glass in 2.5-10x42 like an IOR - http://www.valdada.com/product/053922b8-e50c-4387-aa68-05e37440359e.aspx (cheaper elsewhere, just linked to for the specs).

I would recommend an older leupold 6X40 ultra/mk4, although I don't think they ever came with illuminated reticle.

I'm a huge NF fan, but for a hunting scope, I was not impressed with my NF 2.5x10. The main problem was the illumination....even on the lowest setting, it "flared out" and obscured too much of the animal inflow light hunting situations. I sold it of.....

Now I have a Trijicon 3x9 with mildot reticle, that only illuminates the center of the cross hairs. I like it much better. I can get hits out to 400 yards using the reticle only without too much problem. Another good option( I just got one) is the Leupold VX-R 3x9 Patrol. Nice TMR reticle, and low profile mil knobs, with a illuminated center dot.......I'm pleased with it so far, and cheaper than the Trijicon!