• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Plug for Walthers

ShortRangeSniper

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2010
Just a quick plug for Walthers. They are one of the most overlooked pistol companies out there. The P99 is the polymer gun that first brought the interchangable backstraps to the gun market and that was over 12 years ago. The P99AS model, again, a 12 year old design, has the sweetest trigger I have ever felt on a striker fired gun with a ridiculously short and distinct reset. It also has a very high grip axis, and after the initial generations is fully ambi with ambi mag and slide releases, both of a generous size. Plus, it is just about the only striker fired SA/DA gun out there. The new PPQ has all of the features of the P99 though it is SA only. And the PPS remains one of the slimmest compacts on the market. Throw in standard adjustable (via a adjustment screw) rear sights and these guns are at the top of the class. While opinions about Nutnfancy differ, he calls the PPQ possibly the best polymer striker fired pistol ever made. I lent my PPQ to a former SEAL buddy and he immediately said it was far superior to his favorite pistol, a P229.

There are rumors that Walther may put the AS trigger in the PPQ and possibly into the PPS. Yes, your manual of arms will change with the trigger guard mounted mag release on all three guns and the unique decocker on the P99AS, but if you like it enough you'll devote the time.

So if you see a PPQ or P99AS (SA/DA model) for rent at the local range, go ahead and test drive it.

Re: Plug for Walthers

I had a P99, bought in the pre-Bond era back when they were <$400 new, I think it was $360, and there was only the one model. Very accurate, simple, and never had a single jam, and always enjoyable to have a LEO take frustrated several minutes before giving up and having me clear it. I really regret parting with it. Rarely come across them now, and the few I have were much higher. Not sure I want a PPQ.

Maybe I have a fluke, but my Walther has the worst pistol trigger of any I have. Very reliable but I really just don't much care for it. As you said though it is always worth a try at the gun range.

Beef, if you ever want to get back into them you can usually find a Gen 1 on Gun Broker for right around $400. All Gen 1s are AS model (SA/DA). Usually a green frame with the hump in the trigger guard, short left side slide release (versus the later longer ambi), and short mag release.

Mechanic, weird, maybe you did get a bad one. Maybe you should try one at the range to see if it is a lemon or if you just do not like them. Shoot, if it is a later model I will buy yours.

I am going to have to check to see if it is a Gen 1 or not. I really havn't even pulled it out in several years. I agree with you about checking out another one. Could have an issue and I just didn't realize it because I figured that is just how it is and took it for that.

Agreed, it's the best trigger on a plastic gun that I've used. Bought my P99C 9 years ago and it never failed with factory and S&W mags. It has failed on the extended higher capacity after-market magazines regularly, which I only use on the range.
Short trigger reset spoils you: many times I failed to reset other pistols tested because I am used to the P99 trigger.

The trigger may be the issue for some, but it is by design. The "stress" trigger was specifically developed for the "uncommited," those who will need every possible feedback to be sure that they really, really, really mean to pull the trigger. I agree that the creeeeeeeeep is unbelievable.

But, there is good news. A quick 1/6th slide pull back sets the trigger to one of the crispest single action breaks that is out there. In fact, in just about every other regard the 99 is a great design and finished off as only the Germans can do. My experience is that the accuracy is vastly superior to Glock.

CLICK_zpsc3fdef27.jpg

I'll bite. What do you mean 1/6th slide back.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger may be the issue for some, but it is by design. The "stress" trigger was specifically developed for the "uncommited," those who will need every possible feedback to be sure that they really, really, really mean to pull the trigger. I agree that the creeeeeeeeep is unbelievable.

But, there is good news. A quick 1/6th slide pull back sets the trigger to one of the crispest single action breaks that is out there. In fact, in just about every other regard the 99 is a great design and finished off as only the Germans can do. My experience is that the accuracy is vastly superior to Glock.

CLICK_zpsc3fdef27.jpg
</div></div>

I have a PPS that might be the most accurate 9mm I own, great gun and tucks away very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll bite. What do you mean 1/6th slide back.
</div></div>

Basically a chamber check, barely tugging the slide back, will re-cock it.
As I recall I could also plainly feel when it cocked and let off and have a single action pull, but that's not really good practice to be in.