• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PMII

Filip

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2021
Sweden
Hello!

Planning to get a SAKO TRG 22, 6.5 Creedmoor, for some hunting (deer, wildboar) and long-range shooting. Been looking at the S&B PMII. Would you go for the 3-20x or the 5-25x magnification?

Thanks,
Filip

The 5-25 tunnels pretty bad if you plan on using in the low mag range likely for hunting.Also bigger heavier. Get an Ultra Short

Thanks for your help. Do you know if there is any major difference between the regular 3-20x and the ultra short (except for the lenght, noticed that the weight is almost the same). At what range do you feel that you need the 25x (compared to the 20x)? Have a Trijicon RMR and an Aimpoint T2. Have you tried mounting a red-dot to your scope for close-range?

Reactions: Filip
Used to hunt with a TRG (in 308) and 3-20 PM all the time. Obviously, mine is the old full size 3-20 (see pic), not the truncated objective version that is ultra short in name only, but they're similar in use none the less.

As far as the scope; it's a phenomenal scope and reticle for my hunting needs. Biggest words of caution is like all large erector magnification scopes the reticle choice becomes very critical. Even with the thicker Klein (has actual mildots 😱) in mine the reticle can and does get lost at times at low magnification. Luckily, the illumination lights up the entire cross hair on this reticle. Which makes it as easy if not easier to use than a thick duplex hunting reticle.

Also attached pics of weight with and without bipod for reference as the 3-20US is very similar in weight. This scope and rifle combo is 2lbs+ lighter than my AX w/ Razor G2, but it actual carries worse in the hand. Which is my biggest complaint. Imo; there is just no great place to carry it by hand. It carries fine with a sling though.

2021-TRGglamourshot.jpg

2021-TRGweightwithbi-pod.jpg
2021-TRGweightlessbi-pod.jpg

Thanks! That’s the 20” barrel? Is it OK to shoot while standing?

Yep, 20".

Standing shots off hand are fine as far as weight for me. Balance point loaded is under the magazine near the front edge of the magazine with the 20" and without bipod. 20" with bipod balances just in front of the loaded magazine, which I assume is similar to where it will be on the 26 barrel without bipod.

I never found the S&B PMII to be too heavy. I carried one on my TRG-42 .338 Lapua in Alaska hunting (picture of it with my gear hunting the 40 mile caribou herd). I haven't had any tunneling issues but then I am also a magnification whore, so I am not running the lower magnification range. I'll have to look through it again.
2017-06-03_09-57-28.jpg

Looks nice! What magnification did you have on you TRG-42? Not sure if I should pick the TRG-22 in 6.5 Creedmoor or the TRG-42 in .300 Win Mag…

Reactions: stefan73
Hello!

Planning to get a SAKO TRG 22, 6.5 Creedmoor, for some hunting (deer, wildboar) and long-range shooting. Been looking at the S&B PMII. Would you go for the 3-20x or the 5-25x magnification?

Thanks,
Filip
They are on sale now at EuroOptic.

Looks nice! What magnification did you have on you TRG-42? Not sure if I should pick the TRG-22 in 6.5 Creedmoor or the TRG-42 in .300 Win Mag…
I think you would be happy with a 6.5. I would like two more Sako's one in 6.5 and one in .300wm. That would complete my list with Sako TRG's. I have a TRG22 in .308 and the 42 in .338. Both are wonderful to shoot.

I assumed you already had the TRG. Have you handled a TRG?

I ask because the stock/chassis is fairly bulky(wide) for a hunting rifle.

Reactions: stefan73 and Filip
I never found the S&B PMII to be too heavy. I carried one on my TRG-42 .338 Lapua in Alaska hunting (picture of it with my gear hunting the 40 mile caribou herd). I haven't had any tunneling issues but then I am also a magnification whore, so I am not running the lower magnification range. I'll have to look through it again.
View attachment 7745774
I decided to take my heavy chassis rifle hunting in the backyard on Sunday, it’s topped with a 5-25. Had to set the magnification on 7x which is where the tunneling just begins on mine. It’s not an ideal hunting setup by any stretch for these woods but it was pretty cool to be able to see the tiny little details on the deers faces when I zoomed in before the sun came up and to be able to spot the drops of blood on the blades of grass after I shot one. Has me really jonesing for a 3-21 US or a ZCO 4-20 now.

Reactions: stefan73 and Filip

No, I haven’t had the chance yet. I understand that there are rifles better suited for hunting. Probably more resonable to buy two rifles, but I think I’ll start with a high quality long-range rifle (that hopefully work OK for some hunting as well). Really appreciate your input! I’ve been working in the military, but haven’t done much long-range. Mainly carbine/pistol.

It is not a small rifle. If you plan to pack for long distances and then drag out animals I would suggest something smaller and lighter. Some of us are just use to packing heavy stuff because of our jobs or whatever.

No, I haven’t had the chance yet. I understand that there are rifles better suited for hunting. Probably more resonable to buy two rifles, but I think I’ll start with a high quality long-range rifle (that hopefully work OK for some hunting as well). Really appreciate your input! I’ve been working in the military, but haven’t done much long-range. Mainly carbine/pistol.

You're absolutely right; there are more reasonable hunting rifles. However if you really want a TRG, get it! I'm lucky enough to have "better" high end hunting rifle options in my safe and I still carry my TRG into the woods occasionally because hunting with it still brings me joy.

If you can, I still recommend handling one before purchasing. You will know instantly what I mean by bulky and you'll also know just as instantly if it will work for you. Just because it works for my size body/hands doesn't mean it will work as well for yours.

Thanks for your help! Just to sum it up... Now ordered a TRG-22 (6.5 Creedmoor). Will probably need to get a lighter rifle as well. Planning to get the Schmidt & Bender PM II 3-20x50 (full size), DT MTC LT / ST ZC LT 1cm, MSR2. Do you think this is a resonable choice?

Reactions: stefan73
As a fellow Swede, and owner of a TRG 22 (in 308) and a 5-25 PM2 I feel like I should write a line or two.

The TRG is an awesome rifle. I have had mine for about 2 years now and I cant say anything bad about it, for my use. But I compeat more than I hunt so my gear is suited towards that. If I hunted more than I went to competitions, I would probably pick a lighter rifle, probably.
The same thing can be said about the PM2, its an awesome scope but not the greatest choice if you take part in regular hunting in Sweden were shots beyond 100 meters are very uncommon and discuraged.

A compromize would be to go with the TRG and have 2 sets of scopes for it. Say the 5-25x PM2 for longrange and competiton work. And a smaller 1-6x or similar for hunting. That would be pretty awesome.
I was at a moose hunt a few weeks back and that made me think about something similar.
Otherwise a 3-20x50 Ultra short or the Kahles k318i would be good choices too. I am a big fan of the MSR reticle so it would be an easy choice for me atleast.

The 6.5CM is a smarter choice than 300WM for the use you describe. A regular 308 would not be a bad choice either.

My TRG at a moose hunt a few weeks ago. I run a Kahles K624i on it. My 5-25x Schmidt is on my other rifle right now.
p5pb21543212.jpg

Last edited:
As a fellow Swede, and owner of a TRG 22 (in 308) and a 5-25 PM2 I feel like I should write a line or two.

The TRG is an awesome rifle. I have had mine for about 2 years now and I cant say anything bad about it, for my use. But I compeat more than I hunt so my gear is suited towards that. If I hunted more than I went to competitions, I would probably pick a lighter rifle, probably.
The same thing can be said about the PM2, its an awesome scope but not the greatest choice if you take part in regular hunting in Sweden were shots beyond 100 meters are very uncommon and discuraged.

A compromize would be to go with the TRG and have 2 sets of scopes for it. Say the 5-25x PM2 for longrange and competiton work. And a smaller 1-6x or similar for hunting. That would be pretty awesome.
I was at a moose hunt a few weeks back and that made me think about something similar.
Otherwise a 3-20x50 Ultra short or the Kahles k318i would be good choices too. I am a big fan of the MSR reticle so it would be an easy choice for me atleast.

The 6.5CM is a smarter choice than 300WM for the use you describe. A regular 308 would not be a bad choice either.

My TRG at a moose hunt a few weeks ago. I run a Kahles K624i on it. My 5-25x Schmidt is on my other rifle right now.
p5pb21543212.jpg
I agree with the two scope solution in the OPs situation.

A 3-27PM2 would do both jobs but would be needlessly big and heavy for hunting with and a 1-6 or 2-10 hunting scope would have a thicker reticle more conducive to hunting at close range.

Swapping scopes is repeatable with good mounts so there's no real downside to going that route.

Thanks! Probably end up getting two rifles/scopes. What do you think of the 3-20x50 + red dot (since I already got Trijicon RMR2/Aimpoint T2/Eotech EXPS3-0 + G33 magnifier)? Is there any advantage to the S&B PM2 3-12x50 vs the 3-20x50 (other than the reticle)?

Thanks! Probably end up getting two rifles/scopes. What do you think of the 3-20x50 + red dot (since I already got Trijicon RMR2/Aimpoint T2/Eotech EXPS3-0 + G33 magnifier)? Is there any advantage to the S&B PM2 3-12x50 vs the 3-20x50 (other than the reticle)?

Running the RMR on top might be worth looking into. I have never tried that set up but there are more than a few that run it.
I see no advantage at all for the 3-12 vs a 3-20, none!

I'll throw 3-12x50 out there.

Good lower, all the top you will need.

Smaller than the 56.

If anyone has a 3-12x50 preferably RAL8000 I have a 5-25x56 RAL8000 in perfect condition I might trade straight up for something in as equal condition.

The PM2 3-12 does have a more forgiving eye box. Other than that not much benefit, imo.

Me thinks you're starting to over think things... Just a red-dot on bolt gun, is nice and light. Optic and red-dot on semi-auto, provides quick follow up shots. Optic and red-dot on bolt action... why? what do you gain?

T2 with riser(~8oz) and Eotech with G33(~22oz) combined are very close to the weight of the 3-20. Put them all on the rifle together and carry it around for a while. Then remove eotech&G33 and carry it around for a while. Quick way to see if the extra weight even matters to you.