• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

POA Shift With Successive Shots Using Semi-Auto

AlreadyTaken

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2014
Let me start by saying I'm very new to this, don't know squat and willing to learn. I've watched all of Lowlight's video's and have been working on my fundamentals of marksmanship for a couple months now.

My issue is: while shooting a .308 semi-auto prone off a front bipod and rear bag, I line up to the rifle with what I think is proper alignment, load the bipod, focus on trigger control and follow through. During recoil, my natural point of aim is shifting right and it's hard to stay on target with the scope during follow through. After a 5 shot string, I either need to move my body or the rifle to get proper alignment again.

It's the worst on concrete, only slightly better with the shooting pad under the bipod, tolerable but still not good on dirt/grass. I can control it to a large degree by what I think is "overloading" the bipod and putting a lot of forward pressure on the rifle through my shoulder and into the bipod. I'm afraid I'm going to develop a bad habit of overloading the bipod to fix another bad habit with body position or other bad habit already developed.

So,

Is this normal for a semi-auto .308 and something I just need to live with?

Does this indicate I might not be squared up behind the rifle properly, either slanted right or left behind the rifle (I shoot left-handed)?

I'm doing something goofy with my trigger hand during recoil? I'm only putting slight pressure backward with my free fingers and trying to maintain 90 degrees on the trigger finger.

Something else I'm doing wrong? My groups are decent (for me at least), so I think my fundamentals aren't too drastically off, but might need some tweaking.

Last edited:
What type of rifle? What bullets? I have an FN FAL that got me started in Long Range precision shooting. With a muzzle brake (not a flash hider) I can control it but only with 150 grain bullets and a fight. It did take me a long time to figure out how to control it but with practice there is nothing like making it rain 600 yds away. Now that I think about it, I do lean into the FAL a lot harder than I do with my 338 Lapua.

Hope this helps.

What type of rifle? What bullets? I have an FN FAL that got me started in Long Range precision shooting. With a muzzle brake (not a flash hider) I can control it but only with 150 grain bullets and a fight. It did take me a long time to figure out how to control it but with practice there is nothing like making it rain 600 yds away. Now that I think about it, I do lean into the FAL a lot harder than I do with my 338 Lapua.

Hope this helps.

It's a LaRue PredatOBR and I do have a Surefire muzzle break on it, which helps recoil a lot over the stock flash hider. I'm mostly shooting factory 175 gr. FGMM and other 168-175 gr. factory ammo. I haven't tried anything lighter. And thanks for the input.

if your gun is recoiling to one side or the other instead of staight back it could be uneven pressure on bipod legs or a misaligned rear bag. consistently shooting small groups takes practice. it takes shooting the gun the same way each time. it takes finding the right ammo and a gun capable of the accuracy you want. some guns will only shoot 1 or 2 moa. you might also have a stringing issue.