• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing poacher cam!

WunderDog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Western NY
Since last hunting season, we have been having problems with the neighbor on one side. Their house is abandoned and they just come there to poach and make a mess. I threw some guys off our property last season and let the neighbor know there was to be no hunting on our land. I was basically given a %$#& you.

After another issue with them this fall, and him threatening my wife, we purchased a game camera with cell phone modem download. It was a little pricey, and I hate monthly fees but felt we had to take care of business (I might decide I like it for preseason scouting next fall as well).

Yesterday, I was out hunting in another area and got a text message that I had new pictures. I checked the website and saw this:
PICT0006.jpg

Can you say: 'So easy a caveman could do it'
I figured I would address the issue when I got home. As I was preparing to head home I got his picture:
PICT0009.jpg

I knew it was time to get back and deal with these morons. As I am in the driveway about to head back on the four wheeler, I get this:
PICT0012.jpg

At that time I was dialing DEC. These photos were all of my neighbors buddies as they crossed the property line (between two posted signs ten feet apart) with the camera in plain view. There were bloody hand prints on the camera though I don't know why they didn't take it. It was unsecured figuring I could get them for theft too.

In any case, the DEC officers started laughing when I showed them the photos as they said it would be one of the easiest cases they had. They were next door for over an hour and half and when they returned, they had the deer, they guy's license and had issued him five tickets. They included illegal taking of wildlife, criminal trespass and registration and insurance violations on the ATV.

I am not sure this will solve the problem but these guys know I am taking it seriously and this outcome was dramatically favorable to a potentially ugly confrontation with them.

Re: poacher cam!

Be careful. Those guys look like they should be included in the who's who directory of future felons of America. I'd be sure they don't have a meth lab hidden somewhere on your property as well...

That guy looks like a real weener. Yeah he definitely looks good in orange...lol. Sure thats not Kid Rock?

That's fantastic man, I'm glad you caught those POS's. I hate poachers. If you can afford it, or even if you can't, I would really put up a security camera system at your house just in case these or some other scum bags decide to come and start trouble.

I am definitely watching out for repercussions despite the fact that they have proven to be quite the rocket scientists. I am sticking to doing things by the book though - this neighbor is a former firefighter who thinks he is all buddied up with local LE. They are all aware of the situation and realize that he is a complete lowlife shitbag. I don't enjoy being such a prick (okay, maybe a little) but I cannot stand this guy thinking that he can abuse people and their rights and that the rules don't apply to him. That just does not fly with me.

Good luck with the poachers, I hope you have better luck then we do. We generally get 5-10 poachers every year and by the time the damn DNR gets out there they are long gone

That's where the photographic evidence is hard to refute. Our DEC officers were very enthusiastic about having a landowner who was willing to lay down the law on these scumbags. They were particularly appreciative of the airtight case that the photos provided.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you watch your six.........You never know what the repacussions could be....... </div></div>

1+

Good job. Nothing worse than a bunch of assholes poaching/trespassing, especially when they act indignant and continue to try and run all over you. I really like the rope belt to hold his knife in the first picture. What a bunch of jackasses!

Good on ya!
I hate slob hunters and happy to see they got served...

First step aside from the above mentioned watching of your six, relocate the camera to a new vantage point. Just sayin'. Good catch and good on you for going a better route in dealing with these dolts. Perhaps a second camera wouldn't be a bad idea either, at this point.

Citations and fines are one thing. Until they are out of circulation, you will have a problem on your hands. Sometimes "doing right" and "learning lessons" aren't the strongest suits these people play with.

the camera used, was it the smart scouter??? what did you pay and what plan did you get per month (how many pics per month???) i have the same prob only pry 10X worse, any suggestions. very nice job by the way, i hope they learned their lesson, same thing as walkin in your backyard without permission, some people have no respect these days. once again nice work.

We are using the Moultrie I65 Game Spy camera and GPS connect unit. I am using the cheapest monthly plan. I am not looking at it but I believe it is 29.95 per month or something similar.

Also, the number of pictures per month depends on what resolution you have uploaded. I picked the highest resolution for best results in identifying scumbags.

It hurts to do it right but it sure payed off for you. Got a friend going through the
same thing on two properties, he just won't spring for the equipment and the wardens don't want to waste their budget unless it's a for sure good bust.

Looks like an extra from "Deliverance".

I work with a guy that is one of the nicest fellas you could meet. He comes to work and works hard. Doesn't talk a great deal. A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to him and he told me about his neighbors. My friend had bought about 40 acres in the middle of the backside of Egypt for him and his sons to hunt on. He posted the land to keep others out, but his neighbor has a friend that disregarded the notices. One morning this year, his wife woke up about 5am as he was walking out the door. "Where are you going with that pistol and chainsaw?"

He replied, "That boy is coming out of that tree." He had found a bloody arrow at his treestand the week before and vowed to get the culprit. That morning, he had woke up when he heard a truck going into the woods. His wife delayed him long enough that by the time he got to the treestand the trespasser was gone, but my friend saw his taillights going down the country road.

Congrats on catching the guys, that isn't an easy process. Good luck with them in the future, I'm sure that you will have some pissed off red-necks to deal with...

Its funny they took all that effort to shoot and drag out that spike to.I'm come on guys think about it was that really worth it.That is awsome that you got them on cam nice job!!

I am digging his high speed knife belt. If he had an O.D. jumpsuit and used 550 cord, he would be "tacticool"

I'm glad you caught them. I hate asshats with no respect for other people. I have the same problem. I may have to invest in one of those camera's. What brand and modle is yours? I have caught some guys on my lease twice now. Supposedly there rabbit dogs got on a deer and they trying to get them back. I was like well why the !@$% are you shooting over here half a mile from your property. The second time I caught them I said invest in shock collars or im gonna start shooting beagles and you'll find them hanging along the fence posts!!! I guess there not used to some one hunting there every day and getting caught.

What a bunch of worthless people. I am glad you were able to use technology to catch them.

The orange suits him.
"NYSDOC" will make the outfit complete.

what a bunch of trash. glad you got them busted! keep on em.
Id suggest moving your cameras now to see if any other turds come back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AWESOME!!! Maybe consider "booby traps" as a cheaper alt.</div></div>

all that will do is open up the chance of a law suit, trust me I looked into this for all the trespassers that go on our land but my lawyer, my aunt, advised against it

I take it that these cameras use a "flashless" system?

Along with relocation of the camera I would fab up some fake camera's like the cheap $2 to $3 disposables and paint them in real bad high gloss black or mismatched camo that just does not match the surroundings (easy to spot) since they are not smart they may just avoid an area and you can funnel them toward your good camera. Like laying land mines to a surprise attack

Are there any electric fences around, that you can wrap the camera into? Especially if it's in an Otterbox type thing, I'm thinking.

This way, it would prevent the horses and the cows from harassing your camera.
wink.gif

Awesome pics. Glad you got the lowlifes. I've been looking into those type cameras for a while but have been to cheap to do it.

Im glad you caught these shitbags. As others said, watch your back. My family had problems like this in the past but our Game Wardens have put this on the top of the priority list. There wont be any citations given in the field. You will go to jail, they take everything you used in the carrying out of your poaching IE..truck,ATV, guns, knives, cooler GPS or anything you had when you did the deed. This will include blacklisting so you cant have a hunting license again. Good job!!!

I hate poachers with a passion...

I built a 7ft-8ft dirt wall with a skid steer, pushed trees down all across the trail, and posted no trespassing signs all across it and I'll be damned if those bastards didnt drive their atv's around the narrow end. I'll prosecute them to the fullest extent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AWESOME!!! Maybe consider "booby traps" as a cheaper alt.</div></div>

all that will do is open up the chance of a law suit, trust me I looked into this for all the trespassers that go on our land but my lawyer, my aunt, advised against it
</div></div>

We had guys coming on to our land on fourwheelers tearing shit up a while back. A few 2x4s with nails buried in the trails they used solved that problem pretty quick.

So I'm curious, can you get them on felony charges ?

I'd love people like that to lose their right to bear arms.

Hell, I'd post that picture with POACHER on every telephone light pole there was in the city he lived in.

I would seriously chip in for a bill board if your interested ! Figure they put pictures of Jon's in the local paper why not do the same for paochers

You need to move the camera. Because he's just going to shoot it now. You will be out the money for the camera, and he will most likely get a warning or a slap on the wrist.

Ask me how I know.....

The last trespassers I caught were Off-Duty State Troopers scouting on ATV's. Here I am up 25ft in a pine tree in the middle of a Thursday and these guys roll through looking for a place to setup a stand. Listened to them talk about it while they drove in circles looking at the deer tracks on the ground. I got one to stop while the other drove off, leaving his buddy behind. First he argued he owned the land, next he argued he got turned around although the garmin on his ATV's handle bars was visible. He told me he was a neighbor, flashed his badged and assured it "was okay" and drove off. Would have never known I was there if I hadn't yelled and thrown a water bottle 10ft in front of him.

I like to sneak up on them and I can get really close. The game of 'my tracks over your tracks' can be a fun one. Eventually I just get behind them in the open real close and whisper "He's behind you". I got the idea from Predator and it seems to work. Watching the fear grab them is neat. The more guilty they are the quicker that rifle hits the ground.

The piece of property I hunt is a mess when it comes to these guys. I've been shot at in the early AM going to my stand by a guy sitting in it. After that incident I've snuck up on a father/son combo sitting in it. If I didn't like the fun of hunting trespassers more than deer I'd never go back there. Sitting in the middle of the 1k acres in that dawn or dusk period you can hear shots ring out from all over the property. Some of it is people hunting their back porches and the others are hunting in the first few hundred yards their property butts up to it.

I'd expect retribution. There will definitely be something nasty headed your way. The owner of the property I mentioned used to live on it in a house her husband built. That is until they lit the woods on fire in a semi-circle around it and burned her out....

Great job on your part and the DEC officer's part. Just wondering what your courts are like on wildlife violations. I know that some judges will let the scums go with just a little slap on the wrist, +1 on watching your backs.

Sorry you have to deal with such assclowns. We had people stealing $25 feeder units on our property. Theft is theft and it would be "too bad" if your neighbor got shot "by accident."

ive got a question for texans. if you see a poacher on your property with a weapon...what can you do to them...legally i know if they break into your house you can drop em dead correct. and if caught with evidence what are the charges for them. just curious. i hate poachers as well the fuck things up for everyone