• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POD-LOC kit Public Service Announcement . .sort of

Terry Cross

Dingleberry
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Alexandria, LA 71303
www.kmwlrs.com
Good morning all.

I wanted to post this note to give any potential new users and existing users of our Pod-Loc kits a public notice of an issue that we have found with our kits.

I have written and forwarded this letter to our dealer/distributor network to let them know about this issue and to help them be prepared for a hopefully short lived supply problem. I am sharing it with you on this forum so that the facts are in place ahead of any misplaced conclusions that may be forwarded on the internet by well meaning people with too much time on their hands. The body of the letter is quoted here:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
3/19/2009

TO: Purchasing and Marketing Dept.
**All distributors of the KMW Pod-Loc kit

RE: Temporary disruption in supply of new kit orders

First off, I would like to thank you and your establishment for your business and your patience with us as we have grown and evolved the Pod-Loc kit for Harris S Model bipods. While building rifles is our core business, I do take this kit and all other KMW products seriously when it comes to quality and value.

Early development and testing proved that we should use a synthetic lever on this assembly. Metal levers can result in bent or broken Harris bipods if subjected to impacts or snags when moving. We have had very good luck with this strategy in the past with an average of only 1 breakage per 3000 kits sold.

However, in the last 6 months we started to see a large increase in reported breakages. The specified material is 30% glass reinforced nylon but speculation is that there was a large batch of levers shipped to us without that reinforced material. Visually the material looks the same either way. This is not the first quality issue we have seen from this supplier and delivery has always been randomly late.

While this is not a high tech kit, it is used on many U.S. Military and L.E. rifles as well as friendly countries abroad. Due to the serious scenarios that this simple product can find its way into, I feel that we cannot chance sending out any additional kits that may have flaws leading to unacceptable failures in the field.

Effective immediately, I have put all new Pod-Loc orders on hold and we are destroying all levers sent from our last supply so they cannot accidently get into circulation. I am spending $12,800.00 on a new injection mold to be used at a U.S. supplier in Idaho. The new levers will use the same material as used in Glock frames and similar military grade synthetic items. The new levers will be quickly identifiable with the addition of “KMW” and “made in U.S.A.” lettering molded into the surface.

I have been told that we can expect our first supply of levers in 6-7 weeks. Upon receipt of the new levers, I will shut down all rifle production at KMW to concentrate on filling all Pod-Loc backorders. Estimated time to ship all backorders will be 72 hrs after receipt of the levers. Pricing of the updated kits will not be affected as I will absorb the cost of the new tooling into our other business operations.

I will continue to accept and track any incoming dealer/distributor orders and they will be shipped on a first in, first out order upon resumption of the kits being assembled here.

I very much understand that this will cause inconveniences for you and your customers. Under the circumstances, I feel that this is the only ethical and moral way to handle the issue. I can assure you that it will be inconvenient for KMW as well.

It is my sincere wish that this change in our supply will result in KMW being able to supply a superior product and do so without the delivery issues that we have experienced in the past.

If you would like more information regarding this kit and its history, please visit this web page: http://www.kmwlrs.com/Pod-Loc%20subpage.htm

If you have any additional questions regarding this letter, and the issues addressed, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We really do appreciate your business and hope that we will come out of this problem with improved quality and delivery. Thanks in advance for your patience and your understanding.

Best regards,
Terry Cross
Owner, KMW
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> End of Letter. .
_
In the mean time, if you have any problems with your Pod-Loc kit, please email me direct ( [email protected] ) for a replacement. A new lever will be sent at no charge from my remaining stock of parts and should get you back up and running for the time being.

Once the new levers are in house and assembled, we can then offer the new part. I am also redesigning the internals of this kit and integrating the dust shield spacer into the splined insert. All upgrades will be phased in over the next 6 months.

The Pod-Loc kit is made up of 5 components. Each component is made in the U.S. to my specs. All metal parts are stainless steel with Chrome Sulphide bath. Even the metal insert that is molded into the levers is machined stainless. Each component is shipped in bulk to KMW. Every kit is assembled with red LocTite 268 and then the inside of the 10-32 female thread is coated with Anti-Seize thread lubricant. Each kit is packaged with detailed instructions and carefully packed for shipment to the distributor.

The Pod-Loc is the original Harris –S locking kit and is the only one that is made in the U.S.

Thanks in advance for reading this notice. Your business and your patience with us during this growing pain is appreciated.

Everyone have a safe weekend.

Terry

Re: POD-LOC kit Public Service Announcement . .sort of

Good job Terry.
So when can I expect to get my Pod-Locs then....LOL

As always a GRADE A world class guy!!!

Terry if 50% of americans out there could follow in your foot steps the world will be a better place!!

As always great products and services.

I will give the new lever a torture test. Because we know I can break anything!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Integrity. You know it when you see it.
</div></div>

Seldom seen these days, but I gotta agree about Terry...your service and dedication to your customer base are an example for a lot of others out there to follow.

Thanks for the heads up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Integrity. You know it when you see it.
</div></div>

Seldom seen these days, but I gotta agree about Terry...your service and dedication to your customer base are an example for a lot of others out there to follow.

Thanks for the heads up! </div></div>

+1
laugh.gif

Re: POD-LOC kit Public Service Announcement . .sor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Integrity. You know it when you see it.
</div></div>

+1billion

that is stand up stuff right there. Good luck to you....

WOW!

You should call Toyota and give them some pointers.

Terry, up to this point I have not gone the Pod-lock route because I never really needed one.

However, I feel that taking the high road like this deserves to be rewarded, so I will be ordering two from you (for both my BRM-S bipods) as soon as they start shipping again.

Terry is the epitome of Professionalism. Outstanding!

Now if we could just get Cheytac to act this way .....

Just one more reason I am a proud KMW owner!

Wonder if the guys selling the $2.00 Pod Locks will follow this?
LOL, Terry is one of a kind.

Kudos once again Terry!

I have two of your kits on work rifles and must say thank you for your professionalism and over all concern for the welfare of those using your product.

Thank you.

Again,
Thank you Terry for stepping up instead of making excuses and selling sub-par stuff. Sorry it will cost you, but thank you again for doing the right thing.
Again, reasons for purchasing from the "real deal". You'll make up for the costs quickly I hope.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am spending $12,800.00 on a new injection mold to be used at a U.S. supplier in Idaho. </div></div>

Wow, that'll take a kit or two to cover. Thanks for keeping everyone updated, you make the best kit bar none.

Thanks for the info, Terry. And thanks for getting the other stuff out to me so quickly.

,,,,And the bar gets raised ANOTHER notch!!!!!

Why can't our state-head leaders learn from our industry leaders?

Class act Terry.

I have 2 of your PocLoc's (3 years) and zero issues.

Thanks.

No doubt. Terry Cross is GTG. That Pod-Loc product has GOT to get the vote for MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK.

THAT is what I'm talking about! What a great world this would be if everyone ran their business this way! I'll be ordering a few once they are available again!

I bought one just before Christmas. Is there going to be a replacement program or is it as suggested, wait till it fails?
I would think a replacement program starting once production is back to normal in addition to regular batch testing is a good idea. Maybe hardness on metal fastners and cutting up a lever or two per batch might be good quality control from this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought one just before Christmas. Is there going to be a replacement program or is it as suggested, wait till it fails?
I would think a replacement program starting once production is back to normal in addition to regular batch testing is a good idea. Maybe hardness on metal fastners and cutting up a lever or two per batch might be good quality control from this point. </div></div>

I wouldn't worry, just use it and IF it breaks then Terry will replace it for you.

He steps up to the plate.....takes a swing......and knocks it out of the park. Game over. Good man, Terry!

Class act man! Love my POD-LOC, zero issues.

-Pat

My pod-loc is working fine too, the heads up is appreciated and to go out of your way to notify your customers of an issue speaks volumes about your customer service, such business ethic these days is rare. God bless you Mr. Cross!

Can't say anymore then whats been said.

He is a worldclass man, Shooter, Rifle Builder, and Businessman.

I will continue to do business with him. Wish more business operated using his moral compass and business sense.

Just ordered three units from triad tactical... I anxiously await the new production units! :-D

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BHP9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I wouldn't worry, just use it and IF it breaks then Terry will replace it for you. </div></div>

I'm not "worried". We bought something which was not what it should be. Let's say mine breaks in a year. I will have several weeks waiting for a non defective part to arrive. It seems reasonable for what I suggested to happen for those that want it.
We didn't buy the crap copies did we? I also wonder about the fact if it breaks in a few years and we can no longer get the product (which happens with everything) we are SOUL
smile.gif

Seems reasonable to me that if you know something was not what it was supposed to be it gets replaced.

Unless it is a complete firearm being imported, I have not had anything going into Australia take several weeks to transit.

How old is your kit? If it is over a year old, it will probably be good to go. Most of the new shipments will also be good to go. You nor I have any way of knowing whether the lever in some of the new kits have the specified glass fill in the nylon.

I would request that you email me your address and I will have one of the new lever assemblies on the way within 72 hours of arrival here.

Upon receipt, I would ask that you swap out the parts and destroy the old lever so that you or one of your shooter friends aren't tempted to "try" it on another bipod.

I am not saying that you would do such a thing, but I have had two people from the same area mail me two parts of a broken lever that, you guessed it, fit perfectly together. Without being a Perry Mason, I still came to the conclusion that they were looking for a 2 for 1 exchange. So I am going to have to go on the honor system for those that have legitimate failures so please play fair.

As far as no longer being able to get the product, I do not think you have any worries. At least once a month, I have someone trying to buy the rights to the kit and name. Regardless of that, there are already several sites selling copies. Should something happen to KMW, I assure you that there will be 4 or more others jumping in to fill the gap.

I would be more worried about not being able to get petrol, clean water, food and freedom of movement in a few years.

Send me your info and I will handle.
BTW, I really do appreciate you buying our kit.

Best,
Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Integrity. You know it when you see it.
</div></div>

Thanks for the heads up! </div></div>

A huge +1

All have said it.... Terry,when things are back to normal.... put up a post. I need two and do not want to order right now and add stress to the orders you already have to fill.

A HUGE +1 for Terry and his great service.

I sent in a broken pod-loc handle (stripped off where it got pulled way too hard for any reasonable means) and got a replacement handle super quick, free of any charge. He even sent it UPS so it could be tracked, even though it cost a butload for such a small package.

I recently bought another new pod-loc for another bipod. Is there a possibility the handle from that new pod-loc is one of the ones not up to spec? Sure, I guess. But am I worried about it? And does it warrant replacing everyone's recently purchased units? No and no, respectively. Firstly, because I'm no super-high-speed-low-drag, spend six months solo behind enemy lines guy, and even if I was, am I really depending on the pod-loc for anything mission essential? And secondly, and I think most importantly, I know that I can depend on Terry to quickly and faithfully stand by his product and remedy the situation if need be, as witnessed first hand, through this product fix/upgrade, and everyone else's experiences with him.

Again, thanks a bunchload to Terry.

Ken

I'm sure the new levers will be much better. Glass filled nylon is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture, at the same time growing in size(sometimes alot). Another good matl to consider would be Polycarbonate(lexan). Although the Matl cost would be a bit higher.

CDiP,

It is true that nylon is hydroscopic and the size might change, but we are talking about thousandths of an inch per inch, and it's going to take A LOT of moisture to do even that. Not to mention a <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">glass</span></span> filled nylon will retard that growth even further.

This isn't a trigger sear or internal part of an optic. It's a hand lever that houses some other assembly parts. I can live with it growing 0.0015" if submerged for 72 hours.

Polycarbonate (or yes, Lexan if they're into cool sounding trade names) is a pretty tough material but its chemical resistive properties really leave a lot to be desired. Any aromatic solvent (Hoppe's 9 for example) will render it brittle and it will shatter.

Glock frames are glass filled nylon. All of the polymer gun stocks you see are glass filled nylon. All of the plastic on the AR-15/M-16 is glass filled nylon. My old Pod-Loc levers were glass filled nylon before the manufacturers QC went to pot and didn't use the glass fill.

Cost of material wasn't and isn't a factor.

I appreciate your input but I did not make the material decision hastily or without research.

Thanks,
Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another good matl to consider would be Polycarbonate(lexan).</div></div>
Unmodified polycarbonate (ie: pure PC or "Lexan") cannot properly withstand UV degradation let alone certain chemicals used on firearms as Terry mentioned. GFRP or CFRP would be much better choices.

Kudos to Terry for doing his homework and doing the right thing.

Terry won't do you wrong, true honesty fellow.

Absolutely a rare person of integrity and skill.

Glad to have him in this business.

Terry,

As was mentioned above. When you get solid let us know. I am also in need of one.

Cheers,

Doc

Ahhh, what do you expect? This is just how Terry rolls, good on you Terry.

Thanks for the heads up,

Vu