• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Podcast nuggets

Klemm

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
So while listening to the podcasts, while I drive to work, I’ve been jotting down some of the Nuggets that Frank has been saying in the podcasts. I will figure a way to post them for my notes. Is anyone else doing this and are they willing to share.

Colorado tripod company
Crux Ordinance tripods
Always return Turrets to 0/0
Put dime on barrel check for-flinch/trigger control/NPA
Learn how to adjust bipod properly, post a question on snipers hide

Get a true range zero

Use the electronic level to check degrees of cant at rifle set up

Shoot group at 100 yards using the BubbleLevel anti-can’t and the bipod locked with the pod lock preferably with the new thunder beast bipod and see if groups improve

Work on having the rifle recoil straight back into the shoulder when shooting groups at 100 if you were constantly adjusting the tilt of the Harris bipod something is wrong(Is this the problem with the front rest and is this cant causing a increase in group size

3 inch shoot n c at 300 yards to check groups,Groups gets uglier the further you go out

Watch video of shooting with the scope caps closed for natural point of aim

Shoot both eyes open( practice in yard)

Work on follow through

Work on seeing Trace, vapor trail and turn down magnification

Watch for trigger bounce

When you can see splash at three and 400 yards you were doing everything right

Work on looking for a vapor trail

Practice the mile per hour gun

Dope the wind for two minutes minimum before shooting

Make a wind xylophone

Weaponized math

Reevaluate Hornaday 4 dof (4DOF good for Hornady Bullets only otherwise you are only using BC for other Bullets)

Work on positional shooting with sling

Use defined line(water mark) on steel-target versus center
Try shooting groups at 200 yards

Redo tall target test

Shoot with both eyes open

Zero in the prone

Dry fire

Use wind Rose

Start making Wind calls

Verify drop using 935 yard target and 500 yard target

Check for mirage out of focus not in focus at the target

Recheck scope position in prone position make sure it is the right distance and comfortable in sight picture is properly aligned
Reduce objective lens size with paper to practice cheek weld consistentcy , small 3/8 hole
Shoot groups at 200, Shoot groups at 300 your groups get ugly fast

Practice with Vudoo for positions standing kneeling sitting prone with sling, supported unsupported and trigger control
Need to make wind flags or dry grass to determine direction of wind

1 inch target shoot groups at 300 yards 5 inch target at 400, not quite 1MOA then the xylophone steel target (.2 MOA Bars 5 bars which equals 1MOA at distance

Xylophone target .2 mill at 675 yards

In Kestrel turn the wind 1 to 0 mph and 12 o’clock and work off of Wind 2

Biggest problems Frank sees
Not straight back behind the rifle
Bipod way too low
Trigger control and follow through

Phil Vallejo podcast

YouTube Hornady true range zero, Adjust muzzle velocity at 600, Adjust BC from 800 to 1000 yards

Use level on gun is training aid To set up rifle
Set up rifle to body and scope to gravity with a plumb bob

Rifle set up (length of pull) to run the bolt with out jacking up elbow. Like the VUDOO

Do I need to adjust scope position to help with my cheek piece, Eye, scope relationship

Squeeze bottle with chalk for wind

Look for bullet point on rear bag techniques,

Check Harris bipod for being square now using the 9 to 13 and Guns seem to be jumping to the right, shot other groups with the small bench rest 6 x 9” Harris didn’t seem to have these problems double check

Ballistic arc recommended by Low light
Terrasol is better for Apple versus applied ballistics for android

Wrist commander

Check canting the rifle for horizontal stringing

Practice hundred yard shooting standing with factory rifles check

Watch thumb for pincer movement when shooting, thumb should be deadweight, refer to snipers hide article homepageMark Taylor

Use the support hand with the rear bag in conjunction with the hook in the A5 Stock to help and recall management? Referred to snipers hide article homepage Mark Taylor

Have someone check the position of my head up and down (strait/ level)in relation to the scope to make sure I am straight behind the rifle with my body and head. Refer to photos

Use a truing bar on steel targets

Test with the bipod loose to see if it behaves like to 338 Lapua magnum maybe I am canting too much or double check with the bubble level

Maybe the problem is that I’m I’m not pulling the stock straight back into the shoulder pocket

Also may need to lift the rear of the stock higher into the shoulder pocket that might work may be my problem with side alignment with cheek weld

Zero to the left of center if it cannot be perfect

Try to stiffen up plastic stock (project)

Dura coat from Brownells air dry page 300 or 400 in catalog

Float the thumb do not wrap thumb around stock you may be torquing the rifle

Check placement of butt stock into shoulder pocket, is it too low forcing the cheek piece to be higher

Prone is the rare shot get up off your belly Into alternate positions especially for hunting

We want to practice what gave us trouble, not what made us look good

Dry fire is a great practice tool, do more of it

Practice with open sighs, for hunting 100 yards standing

Watch the way the target swings to help indicate where on steel target Impact was located

Video shooting position in slow motion to spot problems

Practice rear bag position with the Butt hook on the A – five stock

Adjust zero to the proper offset in computer program Zero is zero if it is .1 mil left then that needs to be adjusted in ballistic program

Isolate the thumb/trigger control

Use sewing thread at deer stand for wind direction

Marks Weaponized math for 22 LR
True every 10 yards to 100/200
Have four different seasons for muzzle velocity/temperature zones

Speed wins. Even a lower BC at a higher speed will beat a high BC bullet moving slower

BC vs Speed is a good comparison between Bulletts

Pro side/amateur side
Vertical paint line
Wind calling on steel

Trace
Better with the sun behind you
Very humid out
Spotter set up directly behind shooter
View through scope, reduce magnification
View through spotter, reduce magnification

Shoot steel at 1000 on 10 power or eight power to view trace

Use the reticle on deer under 400 yards to reduce dialing time

Slide over slide up with the retical

Re:ZERO all rifles because of new shoulder pocket/collarbone position

Rifle canted/out of plum/ will cause horizontal stringing At Thousand yards.

Walk up to the rifle
Level it
Reach up to the bipod and tighten it down
Get behind the rifle into position

Butt stock inside the jacket

Onethousands of an inch on the butt stock of the rifle is .178 inches at 100 yards

Use MIRAGE to indicate wind direction/rotate Spotting scope until you see MIREGE at a boil and use that to determine wind direction

Look at the retical when the rifle is mounted into the shoulder pocket bisect the bottom of the retical through the Bore/base of the rifle to see if it is canted

Frank says add about one mill per hundred yards check on adding 1/10 of a mill every 10 yards

Check for parallax up and down if checked side to side more chance of rifle influence

I will edit my spelling when I get a chance

Last edited:
Colorado tripod company
Crux Ordinance tripods
Always return Turrets to 0/0
Put dime on barrel check for-flinch/trigger control/NPA
Learn how to adjust bipod properly, post a question on snipers hide

Get a true range zero

Use the electronic level to check degrees of cant at rifle set up

Shoot group at 100 yards using the BubbleLevel anti-can’t and the bipod locked with the pod lock preferably with the new thunder beast bipod and see if groups improve

Work on having the rifle recoil straight back into the shoulder when shooting groups at 100 if you were constantly adjusting the tilt of the Harris bipod something is wrong(Is this the problem with the front rest and is this cant causing a increase in group size

3 inch shoot n c at 300 yards to check groups,Groups gets uglier the further you go out

Watch video of shooting with the scope caps closed for natural point of aim

Shoot both eyes open( practice in yard)

Work on follow through

Work on seeing Trace, vapor trail and turn down magnification

Watch for trigger bounce

When you can see splash at three and 400 yards you were doing everything right

Work on looking for a vapor trail

Practice the mile per hour gun

Dope the wind for two minutes minimum before shooting

Make a wind xylophone

Weaponized math

Reevaluate Hornaday 4 dof (4DOF good for Hornady Bullets only otherwise you are only using BC for other Bullets)

Work on positional shooting with sling

Use defined line(water mark) on steel-target versus center
Try shooting groups at 200 yards

Redo tall target test

Shoot with both eyes open

Zero in the prone

Dry fire

Use wind Rose

Start making Wind calls

Verify drop using 935 yard target and 500 yard target

Check for mirage out of focus not in focus at the target

Recheck scope position in prone position make sure it is the right distance and comfortable in sight picture is properly aligned
Reduce objective lens size with paper to practice cheek weld consistentcy , small 3/8 hole
Shoot groups at 200, Shoot groups at 300 your groups get ugly fast

Practice with Vudoo for positions standing kneeling sitting prone with sling, supported unsupported and trigger control
Need to make wind flags or dry grass to determine direction of wind

1 inch target shoot groups at 300 yards 5 inch target at 400, not quite 1MOA then the xylophone steel target (.2 MOA Bars 5 bars which equals 1MOA at distance

Xylophone target .2 mill at 675 yards

In Kestrel turn the wind 1 to 0 mph and 12 o’clock and work off of Wind 2

Biggest problems Frank sees
Not straight back behind the rifle
Bipod way too low
Trigger control and follow through

Phil Vallejo podcast

YouTube Hornady true range zero, Adjust muzzle velocity at 600, Adjust BC from 800 to 1000 yards

Use level on gun is training aid To set up rifle
Set up rifle to body and scope to gravity with a plumb bob

Rifle set up (length of pull) to run the bolt with out jacking up elbow. Like the VUDOO

Do I need to adjust scope position to help with my cheek piece, Eye, scope relationship

Squeeze bottle with chalk for wind

Look for bullet point on rear bag techniques,

Check Harris bipod for being square now using the 9 to 13 and Guns seem to be jumping to the right, shot other groups with the small bench rest 6 x 9” Harris didn’t seem to have these problems double check

Ballistic arc recommended by Low light
Terrasol is better for Apple versus applied ballistics for android

Wrist commander

Check canting the rifle for horizontal stringing

Practice hundred yard shooting standing with factory rifles check

Watch thumb for pincer movement when shooting, thumb should be deadweight, refer to snipers hide article homepageMark Taylor

Use the support hand with the rear bag in conjunction with the hook in the A5 Stock to help and recall management? Referred to snipers hide article homepage Mark Taylor

Have someone check the position of my head up and down (strait/ level)in relation to the scope to make sure I am straight behind the rifle with my body and head. Refer to photos

Use a truing bar on steel targets

Test with the bipod loose to see if it behaves like to 338 Lapua magnum maybe I am canting too much or double check with the bubble level

Maybe the problem is that I’m I’m not pulling the stock straight back into the shoulder pocket

Also may need to lift the rear of the stock higher into the shoulder pocket that might work may be my problem with side alignment with cheek weld

Zero to the left of center if it cannot be perfect

Try to stiffen up plastic stock (project)

Dura coat from Brownells air dry page 300 or 400 in catalog

Float the thumb do not wrap thumb around stock you may be torquing the rifle

Check placement of butt stock into shoulder pocket, is it too low forcing the cheek piece to be higher

Prone is the rare shot get up off your belly Into alternate positions especially for hunting

We want to practice what gave us trouble, not what made us look good

Dry fire is a great practice tool, do more of it

Practice with open sighs, for hunting 100 yards standing

Watch the way the target swings to help indicate where on steel target Impact was located

Video shooting position in slow motion to spot problems

Practice rear bag position with the Butt hook on the A – five stock

Adjust zero to the proper offset in computer program Zero is zero if it is .1 mil left then that needs to be adjusted in ballistic program

Isolate the thumb/trigger control

Use sewing thread at deer stand for wind direction

Marks Weaponized math for 22 LR
True every 10 yards to 100/200
Have four different seasons for muzzle velocity/temperature zones

Speed wins. Even a lower BC at a higher speed will beat a high BC bullet moving slower

BC vs Speed is a good comparison between Bulletts

Pro side/amateur side
Vertical paint line
Wind calling on steel

Trace
Better with the sun behind you
Very humid out
Spotter set up directly behind shooter
View through scope, reduce magnification
View through spotter, reduce magnification

Shoot steel at 1000 on 10 power or eight power to view trace

Use the reticle on deer under 400 yards to reduce dialing time

Slide over slide up with the retical

Re:ZERO all rifles because of new shoulder pocket/collarbone position

Rifle canted/out of plum/ will cause horizontal stringing At Thousand yards.

Walk up to the rifle
Level it
Reach up to the bipod and tighten it down
Get behind the rifle into position

Butt stock inside the jacket

Onethousands of an inch on the butt stock of the rifle is .178 inches at 100 yards

Use MIRAGE to indicate wind direction/rotate Spotting scope until you see MIREGE at a boil and use that to determine wind direction

Look at the retical when the rifle is mounted into the shoulder pocket bisect the bottom of the retical through the Bore/base of the rifle to see if it is canted

Frank says add about one mill per hundred yards check on adding 1/10 of a mill every 10 yards

Check for parallax up and down if checked side to side more chance of rifle influence

I will edit my spelling when I get a chance

Thank you for doing this!!!

Anytime I’m starting to get burnt out on a job running heavy equipment, The Everyday Sniper cast saves the day. Thanks Frank! I can’t see the entire title to the podcasts anymore though since the app changed its layout. I used to love cherry picking through Th Everyday Sniper cast by choosing the podcast descriptions in the archive that I was interested in. Maybe there is an easier to read list of the podcast # and descriptions somewhere?

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
There was a reference in one of the earlier podcasts that Frank maybe said to being a “c-hair” to the left? when zeroed at a hundred; I can’t remember which episode it was but I wanted to go revisit that. Thanks for putting this together (& sorry if I missed this in your summary above)!

There was a reference in one of the earlier podcasts that Frank maybe said to being a “c-hair” to the left? when zeroed at a hundred; I can’t remember which episode it was but I wanted to go revisit that...
It might’ve been covered more than once, but go to episode 222, fast forward to 29:15

Reactions: Rod79
Frank, I didn't know about the podcast. Can you send me info? Thanks!
I want to react like, “what??!!”, but I think there were 90 episodes before I caught on. Haha

look for the everyday sniper podcast on iTunes or podbean

There was a reference in one of the earlier podcasts that Frank maybe said to being a “c-hair” to the left? when zeroed at a hundred; I can’t remember which episode it was but I wanted to go revisit that. Thanks for putting this together (& sorry if I missed this in your summary above)!
Basically, the old school method was to zero 1/2 moa left and never have to think about spin drift out to as far as a 308 is effective.

Funny thing is...we've had some long discussions about spin drift being 1% or 2% of drop, and those were revelations to me. But now, after all those knowledge bombs, I've simply reverted to keeping 0.1mil left on the gun and forgetting about it.

I like being a tick left of center for a couple of reasons:

For super small targets I can cut the right edge and know it’s gonna impact, better than covering the target

the SD stuff, don’t think about it either, being .1 left fixes that

It’s a thing, not sure how valid but a thing nonetheless

Reactions: Rod79
This whole podcast is a nugget. Frank popped my podcast cherry. I had never listened to any, just figured it would be pointless to listen to people drone on. After listening to this I have about 6 other podcasts I listen to weekly.

Ive tried passing along my favorite episodes in Facebook groups to hopefully get the good word out.

Reactions: Mag1c-Mik3
I got a couple more good stories to share.
He's alive
This whole podcast is a nugget. Frank popped my podcast cherry. I had never listened to any, just figured it would be pointless to listen to people drone on. After listening to this I have about 6 other podcasts I listen to weekly.

Ive tried passing along my favorite episodes in Facebook groups to hopefully get the good word out.
Me too. I listen to his and Modern Day Sniper I've learned so much from them I didn't even know I didn't know and haven't even taken a class yet

Reactions: MarkCO
Thanks for this thread! I accidentally deleted all my notes in my phone. Your list covered all and then some!
Love the podcasts And this site.