• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Podcast topics!

slayer 2c

Still working on it
Minuteman
  • Jan 18, 2011
    Lost.........
    Lowlight,

On the last podcast you asked for topics or things we needed help on, so here it goes.

Analyzing data. You often talk about writing everything down. I for one do, I have pages and pages filled with every calculation, try dope, actual dope, wind call, and actual wind value. How do you analyze your data? What data do you track? What do you find unnecessary

Groups, or better how to read groups. In class you pointed out what a cant will do to a group, or what bag control looks like. Is it better to analyze at 100 or another range?

Short range training. You’ve said it many times that most people do not have access to ranges very long. Can’t remember what you said for exact average distance? What would you recommend for drills say within 500 to improve ability out further when able.

just a few off the top of my head!!!
    I’ll be listening.

Jeremy
    Ps don’t go on strike.....ride to work sucks bad enough!

Don’t know if it was discussed at length, still playing catch up..but on the subject of data books..still something I’m trying to wrap my head around. Apart from logging environmental conditions, round counts, and dope...what are you writing down in your data book and how are you utilizing all the different page layouts...like target pages etc.

Reactions: Ulfhednar68
    On topics,
    Your not going to like this... but software.

The array of choices is just dizzying and I understand you regularly do a good deal of wading though a lot of different systems with students and therefore probably have a better feel for what systems are easy to use, true well to real world data, and provide good results.

For my part I have mostly thus far avoided mobile apps in favor of printing tables from JBM and hand writing my real world results on them. Then, later truing the BC in JBM to my data by trial and error. It does seem like their must be a quicker, better, option than this and I would especially like it if that option included the ability to print out a table hopefully even with custom column selections than JBM so that I don't have to futz with a cell phone when I am shooting. I prefer easy to read paper on the range that I can also easily scribble notes on.

Let’s expand on BigJim! What about a Coldbore lesson? Like the one Frank and Mike did about the Kestrel waaaaaaay back! I know the program is huge but it is awesome and the how to’s are lacking both on the hide and out on the google! Maybe you could get the developer I know you said you know him.

Jim I use coldbore to do the same thing you are with jbm. But I export it to excel and can make the columns any way I like.

Here's a topic I could really use. I've been ut of field shooting for a long time. The last class I did was Storm Mountain, in 2000. This was back when alot of the class centered around estimating rang with a mildot, and a mildot master was the HEAT! Since then I've focussed on F/Tr, but I'm starting to lean back into field shooting. The first thing I did was get a Sig 2200, but besides the LRF and a dope chart, I'm starting at zero. All this talk of Kestrels and Garmins has me struggling to figure out what's good solid gear to start with, and what's fluff. I think the answer is a Kestrel, but do I get the AB or Hornady version? I've got Hornady's 4DOF on my phone, and I like it, but I find the bullet library lacking. I've got a healthy stash of amax bullets but they aren't included included. While I don't have one yet, it seems to me that getting a LRF with Bluetooth makes sense, and it sounds like the AB Kestrel will talk to more LRF's on the market. Thanks for the Podcast. Don't go on strike- your perspective is helpful!

I’d like to hear some in depth discussion about how to properly utilize a sling to stabilize unsupported positions.

Coaching new shooters? Seems like lots of guys posting lately about the best mile rifle but it seems like most are just starting out with long range. I bet most have okay to horrible fundamentals.

a subject that hits close to home... Even though I enjoy long range shooting, I am forced to spend my dollars that I have saved in a manner that also keeps enough gas in my truck to get to work next week. I usually need to find items on sale or get them used. I would love to be able to spend 3k on a new scope the reality is I have to find as good a deal as possible. So … With all your exposure to equipment and arms possibly you could share which items are a great value for dollars that the average poor schlub can get and still have money left for beer.

Reactions: Ulfhednar68
    So I’m in the same spot as@Highbrass. I’m probably never going compete. I’m never going to spend $10,000 on a rig. I might eventually spring for something like the SH edition rifle. Right now I’ve got my ghetto R700 setup and working on fundamentals. I totally understand that that needs to be the focus. I relate it to golf. Guys think if they buy a $500 driver it’s going to improve their game. If they would spend that money at the range they would get the results they are looking for.
    I’m very new to the forum and I really enjoy it. Don’t know how you do it Frank! Putting up with all the stupid bullshit. I’m glad you do though. I think anyone that watches any of your YouTube videos can see that you are very passionate about the sport AND you want to share you knowledge to make others better shooters . Please just keep in mind the absolute beginners out here that are trying to be better shooters on a budget.
    Thanks for all the work you do. Ignore the Trolls 👍