• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF 14.5" 308 at 850 yards ! Holy s**t!

Once I got use to my POF P-308 using 168 SMK's and changed the scope from the USO ST 10 to the Bushnell Elite Tactical FFP G2DMR 3.5-21X50 scope in a ADM Recon-S mount my 5 shoot 100 yards groups shrank to just over 0.65 moa. I guess my old eyes needed more magnification. But nothing like the amazing groups shot by the OP. Just incredible shooting.

samnev too funny, I bought a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x and while I love the scope I am having the very same problem. Getting older sucks so I guess it's time to up the magnification for me.

Picking up my first POF P308 16.5" Barrel this Friday from my FFL. Already have a Bushnell 3-12x44mm G2DMR Scope ready to be mounted on a 20 MOA GG&G QD Mount. Can't wait to see what this thing can do! This thread is making me Very Excited!!!

Picking up my first POF P308 16.5" Barrel this Friday from my FFL. Already have a Bushnell 3-12x44mm G2DMR Scope ready to be mounted on a 20 MOA GG&G QD Mount. Can't wait to see what this thing can do! This thread is making me Very Excited!!!

Congrats on the new stick, I have the same rifle and I love it. Accuracy is rarely ever an issue with these rifles, but please do yourself a favor and follow the manufacturer instructions on polishing the chamber. I did not and I had problems with fte's, when I polished the chamber I haven't had any more issues. These are very accurate with good match or handloaded bullets.

Hey alpha or anyone else that owns a pof have you guys noticed improved accuracy firing your rifle with the gas system turned to off position?

Just got Mine Yesterday. Hope it'll Shoot!

21f0034.jpg

The barrel is a nitride finish you cant polish it (lol) Pof accuracy is hit and miss by the way depending if you get a barrel from Rock creek , Savage or Dillian .

Read my post correctly (lol), I did not say to polish the barrel I said the "CHAMBER" . And you are not polishing the nitride finish out, you are getting deposits from the salt bath that is sometimes left in the chamber from the nitride process. I can't speak for the newer barrels, but mine is a rock creek and shoots lights out.

The barrel is a nitride finish you cant polish it (lol) Pof accuracy is hit and miss by the way depending if you get a barrel from Rock creek , Savage or Dillian .

How can you tell which barrel you have? Rock creek, etc

Hey alpha or anyone else that owns a pof have you guys noticed improved accuracy firing your rifle with the gas system turned to off position?

I have shot a bit with the gas off to determine just that. I did not see any noticeable change in accuracy

How can you tell which barrel you have? Rock creek, etc

To my knowledge they only use rock creek barrels, but the newer gen4 with the chamber flutes maybe from a different source. I guess you would have to contact POF and ask them, if they give out that info.

Don't mean to hyjack the thread but how much barrel does a 308 need for powder burn? I'm thinking of getting a 308 that was a impressive group you got me thinking short barrel

Very nice shooting I went a step further and have a 12.5" 308 POF in NFA jail, once it gets out I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of distance I can get out of it.

I can tell you that shooting semi vs bolt is night and day. I started shooting precision semi about two years ago and first year and i mean shooting every weekend year (not shooting twice in one year) i was very frustrated. I could go out and print 2" groups with my GAP 308 at 500 yards all day but not shoot worth shit with a precision semi. But with enough trigger time, and figuring out how to drive a semi rifle it can get close but will never be a bolt gun. However, the advantages of rapid engagement cant be beat and ammo capacity of a rifle without doing a reload is priceless. What i have found is that if you get good at shooting semis, it improves your bolt shooting even more. However, if you only shoot bolt and are great, it does not translate to shooting a semi.

I am a SA guy when it comes to .308, you are right, they are much different. The biggest thing I have found is that different rifles like different things, and a lot of the time you can't put a lot of load on the hand guards or they will open up on you. If you are shooting off bi-pods this can make building a position more challenging, but like you said, it just takes practice and learning your rifle.

I was amazed by this feat! :D So much so that I've changed my build plans for the Matrix Aerospace lower w/2 uppers that shipped today. The uppers will still be .260 & .308 but the 308 just went from 22" to 18". I already have a bunch of CFE223 on hand for my AR so I'll be able to work up some loads.
My shortest other rifle being an 18" AR-15, this is a big step for me LOL!

Great shooting, Keep it up!

You guys are making me feel good about buying my Pof 308 14.5". I haven't been able to shoot it yet but I can't wait. I'm going to have to polish my chamber first.

Don't mean to hyjack the thread but how much barrel does a 308 need for powder burn? I'm thinking of getting a 308 that was a impressive group you got me thinking short barrel

I am getting 2490ft/sec out of a 14.5" with CFE223 without any pressure signs. Now mind you i have had it up to 2550ft/sec which is near what people get out of a 20" barrel but groups just opened up. Still no pressure signs but i was not happy with the groups. This is a personal opinion but only being down about ~100ft/sec is worth it for me. And i have no problem engaging targets at 850 yards so what else can i really ask for? And that bullet remains supersonic till 1078 yards so i just dont need a longer barrel what so ever. If i want bigger punch i am just pulling out my 300wm and be done with it. Even my 300wm is a "shorty" with 22" barrel and it is hanging with guys using 26" barrels just because i have found the right powder to make it happen :)

Have you run into cycling issues with this load combination? How about beat up brass?

Not at all. Although i have to say that i have upgraded the buffer to one of Slash's heavy buffers for the 308 ARs and it has helped tremendously on extraction and how the brass now all gathers up in a nice little pile. I would def recommend this for anyone with a 308 AR that hand loads.

Its not a 308 but I just bought a 24" grendel cuz it was priced right. Reading this thread now your making me want buy a short 16" upper

great looking rifles everyone!! i have p308 20'' od gr/black love the rifle .... but i was wondering does anyone have any trouble with certain shelf ammo on case extraction? mine will not cycle proper with fiocchi. everything else works just fine but their ammo. and yes the gas system is set for semi oprt

great looking rifles everyone!! i have p308 20'' od gr/black love the rifle .... but i was wondering does anyone have any trouble with certain shelf ammo on case extraction? mine will not cycle proper with fiocchi. everything else works just fine but their ammo. and yes the gas system is set for semi oprt

I have the same rifle as you but in a different color. I did have that issue early on with my rifle. I now have over 7k out if that gun though and it is giving me no issues now. I think the case extraction issues I was having went away within the first 500 rounds. PS my rifle was only doing that with Winchester white box 147 gr. I never ran the fiocchi early on. I do run it now though with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk