• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF .308 with 16” barrel

Fishtank

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2021
Glendale
So I decided to join a different gun club and they offer sniper classes so I signed up for the
Basic 1 course . My question is this I have a POF in .308 with a 16” barrel with a Vortex strike eagle (1x8) on it right now. I’m thinking of moving the strike eagle to a different gun and get a new scope for the POF. I’ve been looking at vortex but there’s so many models and features. I figured I’d come to a place that had shooters and ask this question.

P.S I’d like to stay in the 1k-$1200 range
Thanks

I like vortex, I have the strike eagle 1x8 and a viper HS. I was looking at that one has a lot going on. I figure I need to get use to that if I’m going to get serious. Thanks

I like the price for sure! I’ll have to research this one. I’ve been leaning toward a vortex just not sure which one.

There are many good deals on the Bushnell LRTS scope around right now.
Many good scopes. That one has worked well for me. Not on a large frame gasser, but bolt and AR15 both.
Or the DMR/XRS line if you spend a little more. Lotsa deals on those.

A buddy has that PST II noted above and its quite nice too.

I like the price for sure! I’ll have to research this one. I’ve been leaning toward a vortex just not sure which one.
It's lifetime warranty, EXCEPT electronics, which is 3 years. It's being phased out and the next generation will include lifetime on the electronics (illuminated reticle). Vortex's warranty does add a lot of value.

Brownell's MPO might be worth a look- Ilya likes the 3-18 and he gets to look through more scopes than most.....

I have the 5-25 and like it a lot.
Sig's LOW sourced, Tango6 3-18 scopes seem to be around $1100.

I went with the Vortex viper PTS. It just made sense I have other vortex scopes like it so familiarity played a role.

There are a lot of scopes out there in that price range. But Bortex makes some good stuff and has a great value for money, especially their PST line.

Grab a used Vortex Razor Gen 1. Probably the most scope out there for about $1k.

I did one of Rex’s 1000 yard classes in central Pennsylvania with my 16.5” P308. I shot FGGM 175gr. I wanted to use the new at the time FGGM with the 185 Berger Juggernauts. Some guys shot the 168s and struggled past 800 yards. I did Ok at 1000, but never managed to hit a clay pigeon at that range. I learned a lot more than the guys shooting 6.5 creedmore as my rounds were going transonic around 950 yards. I used a 3-15x SWFA SS scope with a 20moa ADM mount that performed very well. My danger space at and just past 1000 yards was almost nothing. I had to dial from about 10 mils to 13.5 mils to go from 1000 to 1030 where the 30” gong was. My muzzle velocity was 2430 fps. I was giving up a couple hundred FPS compared to the guys with 20” barrels. Wind and spin drift are considerations at that range. Memorized your dope card.

I'm a fan of the Burris xtr line and the 5-25xtr II will do the trick

So last weekend I had my 2 day sniper class it was excellent. Instructor was very professional, explained everything in a simple way. I did learn the limits of my gun a POF (piston)with a 16” barrel going to struggle after 700 yards. It was great to get out and shoot rifles (i shoot pistol a lot more) and test yourself but now I want a bolt gun for sport shooting/hunting. I’m down to .308 or 6.5 also barrel length 20”-24”.

What ammo did you use? I ask because those that shot 168gr had problems from 800yards and out. I used 175 gr federal gold medal match and it was only an issue from 950 yards and out. i got hits at 1000 yards and a bit further. Never hit any of the soda bottles or clay pigeons at that range, but had some very near misses. Had I been able to get ammo with 185 berger juggernauts I would have had no problems at that range. One poor guy had a 26” bolt gun with a 1-12” twist shooting 168 fgmm and couldn’t hit anything past 550-600 yards. He did a little better with some 175s, but his twist was too slow and the bullets would start to tumble past that point. Now if you could get some of the Warner Flatline 155gr bullets and load them, you should be good out to 1200 yards easy. There is a video review on this site where they were shot out to 1400 yards out of a 24” .308 with good accuracy.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I danced around the 1080 yard target but never a hit. 😔
From 720 in I was good but after that all done!

So last weekend I had my 2 day sniper class it was excellent. Instructor was very professional, explained everything in a simple way. I did learn the limits of my gun a POF (piston)with a 16” barrel going to struggle after 700 yards. It was great to get out and shoot rifles (i shoot pistol a lot more) and test yourself but now I want a bolt gun for sport shooting/hunting. I’m down to .308 or 6.5 also barrel length 20”-24”.
I have a POF 16.5 308 and I wanted more velocity for Elk so I bought a POF 20 in barrel from CFL Gun and Tactical and had is swapped out - they even did it for me - it also needed a different rod. I am getting 2578 with factory ELD X 178's with the longer barrel - I was really surprised how much more the 3.5 inches gave me. I think it is a fast barrel as Hornady lists 2600 fps for the factory load in a 24 in barrel - that would get you the extra distance you want for fairly cheap, is they still sell the barrels. The military is moving some weapons from 308 to 6.5 CM for longer range, and less recoil if that helps you decide.

That’s my biggest hurdle finding ammo. Trying to find 1000 rounds of ammo.
I feel you there. I have lots of brass, 4 lbs of powder, 500 bullets and only 200 primers. Looking all the time for components and can’t find primers or powder. Wish I had bought last summer when stuff was plentiful and cheap.

I have a POF 16.5 308 and I wanted more velocity for Elk so I bought a POF 20 in barrel from CFL Gun and Tactical and had is swapped out - they even did it for me - it also needed a different rod. I am getting 2578 with factory ELD X 178's with the longer barrel - I was really surprised how much more the 3.5 inches gave me. I think it is a fast barrel as Hornady lists 2600 fps for the factory load in a 24 in barrel - that would get you the extra distance you want for fairly cheap, is they still sell the barrels. The military is moving some weapons from 308 to 6.5 CM for longer range, and less recoil if that helps you decide.
Thanks for the tip. I got my POF P308 from them too. I’ll have to reach out and see if they can hook me up too. They did a fantastic job on the pin-weld on the muzzle brake as I’m behind the blue curtain in NJ.

I’ve been researching 6.5 vs .308 and I’m leaning 6.5. 70%-30% right now. I’m looking at barrel life, ammo availability. I’m going to put a vortex strike eagle on the POF and call it good.

Interesting article you may have seen - this was obviously studied way past what a hunter or enthusiast would do.

"The results were significant. Shooters with the the 6.5mm Creedmoor round were twice as likely to nail their targets at ranges up to 1,000 meters, resulting in a 33% increase in effective range and a measurable decreased recoil and wind effect, according to 2018 presentation from Army Lt. Col. Mark Owens on SOCOM's search for an intermediate caliber published by The War Zone." (It is being compared to 308)

I like both - If I ever take my POF instead of one of my bolt guns on the yearly Elk hunt - I like the idea of the bigger bullet that the 308 offers. According to the state of Colorado the bullet should have 1500 f/lbs at impact - both calibers provide this provided the barrel is long enough at ethical ranges <400yds