• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

POF Gen 3 or Gen 4?

Turbonick

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
I'm thinking of getting a POF .308. The remaining Generation 3s are hundreds of dollars less than the Gen 4s. Is there a big difference between them? Is it worth the extra $500-800? As far as I can see, the only difference is the double extractor. Are there any other differences?
Tha ks

The Chamber design is different on the Gen 4 as well. It has some relieve cuts inside of the chamber that allows gas to fill in thus help pushing the brass off of the chamber wall and aids better extractions. Suppose to be more reliable. Also, I believe the Gen 4s has a set screw installed on the lower that you can adjust to take away the upper/lower slack that some of the ARs has. Less slack = more accuracty or so they say.

The barrel/rail/piston designs are all the same but POF in general has been hits and misses with a lot of people. If you get a good Gen 3 it'll shoot lights out but some of them doesn't group worth dam at all.

I'm thinking of getting a POF .308. The remaining Generation 3s are hundreds of dollars less than the Gen 4s. Is there a big difference between them? Is it worth the extra $500-800? As far as I can see, the only difference is the double extractor. Are there any other differences?
Tha ks

The E Square chamber. It does work and doesn't beat up the brass either. I have an older POF from 2009 and it's still running great.
Esquared

If you buy into all the POF love around the hide (and their own marketing literature) the gen 3 was a reliable and accurate firearm. In that case, what does the gen 4 add? It was a reliable gun before, why does it need the E^2 chamber?

Probably for the same reason KAC SR15s now run the E3 bolt and why LMT started to produce their enhanced bolt. Any MFGer's focus should be fixed on continuing to improve a design wherever they can - specifically the areas that have proven to be the weak points over time. Why the E2 chamber? IMO, that's why.

Probably for the same reason KAC SR15s now run the E3 bolt and why LMT started to produce their enhanced bolt. Any MFGer's focus should be fixed on continuing to improve a design wherever they can - specifically the areas that have proven to be the weak points over time. Why the E2 chamber? IMO, that's why.

Just to add to that... Larue + Xtran... Unless of course the OBR's weren't reliable before? Lol....