• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF or LWRC REPR?

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
I am looking to get my first suppressor (in a year
smile.gif
) and am looking at getting a 7.62 can to put on an AR style rifle. The piston set-up seem to be all the rage with suppressors so for 7.62 the two top dogs seem to be POF and LWRC. Is the LWRC worth $1k more than the POF?

Pat

Re: POF or LWRC REPR?

not sure but i never had any issues running a can with my DI ar10

That's my same quandry! I'm debating the same question and there is a stong case to be made for both rifles. One thing to consider is how inter-changeable you want them to be. The LWRC will (right now) mesh only with LWRC barrels / receivers. The POF is more along the standard template.
To voice my opinion on the decision, yes, I think LWRC is worth the extra grand. That's probably where I'm going.
But, it's very personal, so you'll know when she's the right one.

I'm doing the same research. Do a google search and you'll find a lot of reading if you haven't already. I could say that if both were the same price, it would easily be the LWRC. There's a lot of love on this site for both. After a ton of reading (internet claims, so take it with a grain of salt) it seems the POFs have an edge in accuracy. Hit up Lowlight and ask him about POFs. He gave me some good info.

I went to the local gun shop the other day and got to fondle both and I was amazed how light the 20" POF was. That's relative of course because I have a 14 lb Armalite. LWRC was slightly heavier, around 11 lbs. More accessories (side charging, BUIS, PRS stock, four gas setting, etc.) on the LWRC so I guess if you factor in the cost of those, you're getting close to what they're asking over the POFs. So I could say the price is justified but nothing you can't live without.

After handling a REPER I was not impressed to the point that I would pay the extra $1000. The only thing the REPER has on the POF is that you can turn the piston system off and has a side charging handle oh and you can put on rails any way you want. The POF on the other hand has a fluted barrel, better grip, NP3 coating, triple port muzzle break (works very well),and easier to use ambi bolt release.

If you can compare the rifles side by side that would be your best bet. You can usually find the REPER at higher end gun shops and some gun shows but POFs seem harder to come by.

As Captnmo stated above, the price hike on the LWRC is because of several factors, that he also mentioned. If you add a Magpul PRS, Geissele 2-stage trigger, and Troy BUIS then you'll find the price is pretty similar.

When I purchased mine, I looked at all the other different manufacturers and if I had it to do all over again, I would still get the POF 20" NP3.

knockknock2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The POF on the other hand has a fluted <span style="font-weight: bold">nitride heat treated Rock Creek barrel</span>, better grip, NP3 coating, triple port muzzle break (works very well),and easier to use ambi bolt release.
</div></div>

I like their tubes.

I admit that I am not a expert, but IMHO here is some food for thought.

I have two gun stores close to me that stock just about every 308 AR made.

The one salesman said if money was no object he would purchase the LWRC.

Then he told me if money was an object he would save until he could buy the LWRC.

The other salesman told me he has fired several 308's and he could shoot the LWRC all day and not be sore.

I waited a year and still purchased the LWRC after looking and holding all the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The POF on the other hand has a fluted <span style="font-weight: bold">nitride heat treated Rock Creek barrel</span>, better grip, NP3 coating, triple port muzzle break (works very well),and easier to use ambi bolt release.
</div></div>

I like their tubes.

</div></div>
<span style="text-decoration: underline">
<span style="font-weight: bold">10x thicker than milspec chrome lining thats 70 rockwell case hardened WITH R5 rifling </span></span>

Actually, that "thicker" is the depth of the treatment's effect in the steel. Treated barrels can be cut to bore and land size dimensionally correct, while chrome-lined bores start oversize and the chroming takes up space. Final size and consistency is on the chromer, not the barrel maker.....but I'm with ya!

kwak-if two gunstore employees say its so, its gotta be so
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, that "thicker" is the depth of the treatment's effect in the steel. Treated barrels can be cut to bore and land size dimensionally correct, while chrome-lined bores start oversize and the chroming takes up space. Final size and consistency is on the chromer, not the barrel maker.....but I'm with ya!

laugh.gif

</div></div>

This was my favorite part:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other salesman told me he has fired several 308's and <span style="font-weight: bold">he could shoot the LWRC all day and not be sore.</span></div></div>

Anytime I see or hear someone say that, all credibility is lost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, that "thicker" is the depth of the treatment's effect in the steel. Treated barrels can be cut to bore and land size dimensionally correct, while chrome-lined bores start oversize and the chroming takes up space. Final size and consistency is on the chromer, not the barrel maker.....but I'm with ya!

laugh.gif

</div></div>

Learning stuff every day!

One thing that puzzles me is on POFs website it says this "(“5R” polygonal)" Looking at mine I dont see poly contouring only rifling. Anyone care to elaborate on this?

Love both (owned both) but I'll keep my REPR. Love manipulating it like a bolt, shoots sub MOA with 175's, lots of well thought out unique features and runs clean (as did my POF). Can't go wrong with either. In the 5.56 world my M6A3 has been perfect. Love my LWRC's.
i1l1k6.jpg

this was taken after 300 rds of 168 OTM (which it held MOA with)
2cqmy2o.jpg

I find it funny to see your rear troy micro mounted next to your bipod. I understand it, but it still looks strange LOL!

I like to shoot irons from time to time... this method ensures that I don't miss place the damn thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One thing that puzzles me is on POFs website it says this "(“5R” polygonal)" Looking at mine I dont see poly contouring only rifling. Anyone care to elaborate on this? </div></div>

While I was there I meant to get that straightened out, as it is contradictory. You can call POF but I doubt you will get a straight answer unless Frank is available. Perhaps Rock Creek would share.

I believe that the "polygonal" was picked up by someone when they were trying to get across what 5R rifling is. Drawback of having non-gun
folks in the marketing end if so.

I am 99% sure the 308's and 556's are Rock Creek production 5R buttoned barrel blanks. The small runs of 6.5 Creedmoor are cut rifled 5R I know.

I think it's going to come to what we want accessorized on the rifle. If you want the BUIS, two-stage trigger, PRS, side-charging handle, than go for the LWRC. If you can live without those or want to put your own on, go for the POF. Both are excellent rifles and both will shoot well.

It's a semi-auto, so for me, the difference of claimed accuracy over the internet is about negligable. If it's gnats-ass accuracy you want, put the money into a custom bolt-gun. If it's a piston AR-10 you want, choose between the two based on additional accessories. If you need the most accuracy out of a semi-auto and don't mind cleaning, consider GAP.

Good luck. Let me know what you decide cause I'm in the same boat.

like most other weapon debates it all comes down to personal preference....i personally dont see the big deal about the repr...i have shot several, and didnt care for it..still a great weapon though...

i shot several POF's...and everytime wanted to buy one that second...

try to get behind both of them and see which one YOU like...

bench

Why anyone would want to by a gas piston ar-10 is beyond me. I would think that for a rifle which is used for longer range shooting the advantages of direct impingement would be obvious. Sorry but it had to be said.

I have been stuck wondering the same thing about which weapon system to pick up.... Last week i was in a local gun shop "irvignton arms" and the sales guy had nothing but terrible things to say about POF. He stated they had 6 POF rifles and only 3 of those worked. One was sent back to POF to get fixed and the gun shop fixed the other two so i am not sure i really believe the saleman. He also said they would not order me one nor would their store ever carry and POF product like wow really. IMHO Money is Money if the customer wants something you should do what you can to make a sale. I think Higly of POF and think they are great rifles. everyone i shot was sweet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why anyone would want to by a gas piston ar-10 is beyond me. I would think that for a rifle which is used for longer range shooting the advantages of direct impingement would be obvious. Sorry but it had to be said. </div></div>

This is like the MOA MIl debate. Its all personal preference. Both are very good systems and have their pros and cons. What more do you want from a gas piston semi auto that is already sub moa?

I don't like a design that shits where it eats.... I'd rather replace a spring here and there before spending ample amounts of time cleaning it or soaking it with CLP to keep it running. To me that shits for the birds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't like a design that shits where it eats.... I'd rather replace a spring here and there before spending ample amounts of time cleaning it or soaking it with CLP to keep it running. To me that shits for the birds. </div></div>

I want to see a competition between 2 POFs. 1 is a standard POF design and the other has the DI system the POF GAP uses. Both with the same everything except the bolt carrier (thats a given) and of course the gas systems. You have 2 shooter shoot both rifles and see which get the best groups.

You mention that you will spend $1,000.00 more for a LWRC.
I just bought mine last month.
How much have you been quoted for one?

I have owned a POF, and I currently own a REPR.

In my opinion the REPR hands down.

The POF is kinda like a Dodge truck. It's functional, it works.....but the fit and finish is like a plastic dashboard.

The REPR is like a Mercedes in comparison.

I found it to be more accurate as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned a POF, and I currently own a REPR.

The POF is kinda like a Dodge truck. It's functional, it works.....but the fit and finish is like a plastic dashboard.

I found it to be more accurate as well. </div></div>

I own both currently in .308, and both have 16" barrels. The REPR is more accurate, but it could be sample to sample variances. If I could only keep one, I would choose the REPR, and that is not denigrating the POF at all. My POF 6.8 is extremely accurate and I am very happy with it. Both good rifles, but the REPR I think stands out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned a POF, and I currently own a REPR.

I found it to be more accurate as well.</div></div>

Comparing a POF to a Dodge, only to compare the LWRC to a Mercedes? That's rich!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned a POF, and I currently own a REPR.

I found it to be more accurate as well.</div></div>

Comparing a POF to a Dodge, only to compare the LWRC to a Mercedes? That's rich! </div></div>

but true.....

Not wanting to start a flame war....sorry but thats just my humble opinion.

What is also my opinion is that the bed liner coating in my Avalanche is nicer than the crinkle coating POF uses on their uppers.

Also my opinion is that the piston system in the POF is crude in comparison as well....I hated the way mine would rattle around.

What isnt my opinion is the POF fully auto M4's that were used by Aventura Police Depts SWAT team were shooting their piston guts out all over the range while under full auto fire. They immediately got rid of them for Colt DI guns and have never looked back.

I have an LWRC M6A3 SBR upper that I have beaten like a red headed step child and it just runs and runs an runs.

Let me retrace my steps here a bit.

I just went on POF's site and took a real close look at their offerings. I havent actually handled a POF rifle in quite awhile so I was going off previous experience with what I had owned and shot of others.

It seems as if they have improved their quality in regards to fit and finish. Thank god they lost that crinkle coat finish.

I still think the piston is crude in comparison to LWRC.

I deal in both and would take a LWRC over a POF any day.

I own both an armalite ar-10 and an lwrc 20in repr. The lwrc is a far better weapon system. One is a DI system and the other is gas piston. It takes me 10 min to clean my lwrc piston gun and an hour to clean my armalite. Both are great guns but the lwrc build quality and parts are just of a higher quality. If you have the cash...buy the repr...I sent $3900 on mine and wouldn't go back on it at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own both an armalite ar-10 and an lwrc 20in repr. The lwrc is a far better weapon system. One is a DI system and the other is gas piston. It takes me 10 min to clean my lwrc piston gun and an hour to clean my armalite. Both are great guns but the lwrc build quality and parts are just of a higher quality. If you have the cash...buy the repr...I sent $3900 on mine and wouldn't go back on it at all. </div></div>

Do you shoot playing cards at 1000 with your REPR as well, or just your .416 Cheytac???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own both an armalite ar-10 and an lwrc 20in repr. The lwrc is a far better weapon system. One is a DI system and the other is gas piston. It takes me 10 min to clean my lwrc piston gun and an hour to clean my armalite. Both are great guns but the lwrc build quality and parts are just of a higher quality. If you have the cash...buy the repr...I sent $3900 on mine and wouldn't go back on it at all. </div></div>

Do you shoot playing cards at 1000 with your REPR as well, or just your .416 Cheytac??? </div></div>

Ummmmm....you don't?

Lofty, just playing around with you man....but are you shooting a flintlock or something? Hitting something thats maybe 4x4 at 1000 isnt super special with the right optics, weapon, and load.

Not here to throw sh*t against the wall. I'll send you a target pic if you will send me your email via pm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lofty, just playing around with you man....but are you shooting a flintlock or something? Hitting something thats maybe 4x4 at 1000 isnt super special with the right optics, weapon, and load.

Not here to throw sh*t against the wall. I'll send you a target pic if you will send me your email via pm. </div></div>

Or you can just run down to Rifles Only on Lowlight's nickel....

F*@k target pics, they don't show anything-man up and back up your bullshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lofty, just playing around with you man....but are you shooting a flintlock or something? Hitting something thats maybe 4x4 at 1000 isnt super special with the right optics, weapon, and load.

Not here to throw sh*t against the wall. I'll send you a target pic if you will send me your email via pm. </div></div>

Lofty's email is listed in his profile. .4 MOA target at 1k...So Adam, you gonna take up Lowlight's challenge??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lofty, just playing around with you man....but are you shooting a flintlock or something? Hitting something thats maybe 4x4 at 1000 isnt super special with the right optics, weapon, and load.

Lofty's email is listed in his profile. .4 MOA target at 1k...So Adam, you gonna take up Lowlight's challenge?? </div></div>

Enquiring minds want to know. Put up or shut up!

Oh, and to the OP's question. Both are fine rifles and have their advantages. You will not be let down with either rifle. I went with a P308 16in.

Well, lets see how the rebuilt us optics scope does and then we can take the challenge. If I can shoot 1.5moa-3.5moa at 1000 I'll be a happy camper. Sorry to dissapoint you...I am not carlos hathcock reincarnated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, lets see how the rebuilt us optics scope does and then we can take the challenge. If I can shoot 1.5moa-3.5moa at 1000 I'll be a happy camper. Sorry to dissapoint you...I am not carlos hathcock reincarnated.</div></div>

Apparently your other personality in this thread begs to differ
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2403573&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm asking bc I need to be able to shoot the size of deck of cards width at 1000m. Just hitting a plate thats 12x12 isnt't going to work for my application. Those who are in the know shiuld be able to figure out what I am called upon to do at times. Thanks for the information though gents.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. you guys need to get a grip...I shoot the equipment that is given to me and if I want something else than it has to get cleared first and then it can get bought. By the way, if you can't hit a target that is about 4 inches by 3.5 inches at 1000 then you might want to to so some load development or go practice your trigger squeeze. There is no secret, just good fundamentals my friend. Not meaning to start any crap here but Ive sent more than my share of rounds downrange and am not clueless....but thanks for the opinion.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, my choice of words was apparently too arrogant for you guys. I need to take head shots at 1000 yards..not Meters (typo...excuse me).

Do most of you guys shoot once a month or something? Or deer rifles with fixed power $400 scopes? Im curious as to how often and how much yall shoot. Im not being defensive but pretty much any clown can go buy a cheytac .416 with ballistic computer and make first round hits at 8x8 steel plates...the science of target ranging, ambient air temp, windage (alot of it has been taken out of the shooters equation) by handheld weather stations. if you have the right gear these types of shots with todays high powered rifles and custom rifles are nothing special. </div></div>

Where do you shoot at Adamxdavis? Since you are in the Houston area, there are quite a few of us that go out to the 600 yard line at ASC every Saturday morning to shoot. Bayou Rifles is the only 1k yard in town, and I almost never see anyone shoot there.

Adam- Just OWN your BS and the boys will go alot easier on you.

Not too muddy up the waters any more for you Pat but you might look into the Primary Weapons Systems .308 AR . The full length piston system is said to be softer shooting and they use Lothar Walther Barrels . Hawktech in Meridian carries the PWS line and they can give you more info as well as allow you to handle one prior to purchase . The fact that its a Boise based company is pretty cool as well .

The reason people like the piston gun over a DI for suppressed shooting is because the added pressure sends a lot more filth back into the firearm .

Rarely shoot in Houston gentlemen....I mainly shoot at sheriffs range in Austin tx or in la grange. If I shoot in Houston it's at impact zone.

I'm not some total basses and didn't say I was. Anyone with the right gear can hit a target at long distance with some formal training. I can't knock the ass off of a khat at a 1000 but I can at least hit a target....that's not being arrogant. I bet every one of you who shoots out that far are all hand loading their own rounds....have custom dope calculators....even PDA applications to set up their scope dope. Am I mistaken? Or do y'all just go out there and hope for the best?

I would suggest taking some basic and advanced rifle courses taught by magpul, XE, or 360 tactical here in Houston. Training makes us all better...yes...especially me.

A playing card and 1.5moa-3.5moa are two WILDLY different concepts at 1000m....quit backpedaling and admit you stepped on your dick.

Your reference to those "in the know" and your target size, and my knowledge of LE folks leads me to assess you are a wannabe cop, or a cop that is a wannabe rifleman.

Next you'll be referring to the medulla oblongata as "the apricot" or do you already do that........at the gun store?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rarely shoot in Houston gentlemen....I mainly shoot at sheriffs range in Austin tx or in la grange. If I shoot in Houston it's at impact zone.

I'm not some total basses and didn't say I was. Anyone with the right gear can hit a target at long distance with some formal training. I can't knock the ass off of a khat at a 1000 but I can at least hit a target....that's not being arrogant. I bet every one of you who shoots out that far are all hand loading their own rounds....have custom dope calculators....even PDA applications to set up their scope dope. Am I mistaken? Or do y'all just go out there and hope for the best?

I would suggest taking some basic and advanced rifle courses taught by magpul, XE, or 360 tactical here in Houston. Training makes us all better...yes...especially me. </div></div>

Again. PUT UP OR SHUT UP! I'm all for the shutting up because the B.S. meter is pegging out every time you write something and know you don't have the balls to take Lowlight up on the offer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not too muddy up the waters any more for you Pat but you might look into the Primary Weapons Systems .308 AR . The full length piston system is said to be softer shooting and they use Lothar Walther Barrels . Hawktech in Meridian carries the PWS line and they can give you more info as well as allow you to handle one prior to purchase . The fact that its a Boise based company is pretty cool as well .

The reason people like the piston gun over a DI for suppressed shooting is because the added pressure sends a lot more filth back into the firearm . </div></div>

Here I thought I knew all of the gun shops in the area as well as their full stock inventory
crazy.gif
Who is Hawktech and where are they located?
confused.gif
I will be there tomorrow memorizing what thay carry
grin.gif

I do have a PWS 223 but have yet to get a scope on it to shoot it much. Whose uppers are PWS using (DPMS)?

Pat