• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF P-308 Accuracy at Long Range

mmcmah

Minuteman
Sep 23, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Hi everyone,

I have looked a fair bit on the web as well as through the forums. If this question has already been asked, please point me in the right direction.

I have a POF P-308. My intent when I purchased the rifle was to get into long distance shooting. My plans have been delayed somewhat due to life circumstances. However, I'm finally getting started on the LR (and eventually ELR) path, and wanted some advice on how far you can reach out with a 20" POF for target shooting and still maintain good accuracy. In other words, recognizing that the .308 is not the best long distance cartridge, how far do you anticipate that I could feel comfortable that the rifle would shoot well?

The second part of the question pertains to getting a bolt action rifle as well (or not). Given what I have read about the POF rifles' accuracy, I am having a tough time deciding if I should also look at a bolt action rifle, which might be able to extend that accuracy somewhat. If that would be so, is it primarily due to length of barrel and barrel weight? Would there essentially, due to the cartridge limitations, be too much overlap?

Thanks.

I have a POF P-308 and even at 100 yards it can not shot groups that my AIAW or TRG 22 can print. The POF's best group ever was just about 0.5 moa. When I have a bad day my AIAW will shoot 0.35 moa groups and many 0.25 0r less. The TRG 22 is 0.5 on a bad day on good days 0.3 moa. Imo if you want accuracy consistently out past 600 yards a good bolt action is what I would choose. But the advantage of fast follow up shots and the higher magazine capacity is what should be considered before making a decision on wether a bolt or semi fits your needs.
If a POF will shoot 1 moa groups @ 100 yards if the shooter does his/her part it should theoretically continue 1 moa groups @ 200 yards i.e. 2" groups and so on as you go further out. However reading the wind atmospheric conditions come into play once you get out to longer ranges and it takes lots of practice and training to maintain a rifles inherent accuracy wether your shooting a bolt action or a semi. In my experience it's a lot more difficult to shoot a semi as well as a bolt action..

I've owned 5 Pof 308's, and they all shot around 1-1.5moa. I know some here on the hide have some that shoot great but I would look into building a custom ar10 for long range work