• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

POF P308 Accuracy Question

Danco411

Arclight Precision
Minuteman
Hey yall,

First time poster long time lurker. I have a new POF P308 with a 16" barrel. This was a reflex purchase from a local dealer. You know like a moth to flame!!! Anyway I had been shooting a home built Mega MaTen with an 18.5" Fulton Barrel, JP tube, Geiselle SD-E trigger, PRS stock that was easily sub-moa when I did my part. I loved the rifle but could not afford to keep both so I put them both up and the Mega sold first.

So now I'm shooting the POF and not getting near the same accuracy. More like 2 MOA. I've tried all the same ammo my Mega loved so much. Hornady 168 and 178 A-max's and BHTP's, Berger Hybrids and SMK's. But I just can't reduplicate the accuracy and am dissapointed. So is it the 16" barrel of the POF? Is there something wrong with the rifle? Ammo? I'm pretty much thinking it's ME! The Geissele in my Mega was oh so sweet. It was two stage with the flat trigger and I came to love it. The POF has basically a 4lb Timney (made by POF supposedly). It's nice and crisp but much different as it's single stage. Could I just be that far off with the trigger swap?

I'd hate to sell the rifle because it's so nice. I love the NP3 coating and its smooth to shoot and increadibly light. My Mega was heavy!!!

Any insight?

Thanks.

Reactions: Voyager1
Re: POF P308 Accuracy Question

Have you contacted POF for their opinion? They should be able to tell you some areas to look into before, maybe, sending it in.

I have been waiting to pick a P308 up for awhile. But from what I read, POF has inconsistent built quality and reliability that have prevented me from pulling a quick trigger on one.

Mine liked hornady but did not like sierras. It also liked the 155's better than the 175's. But it shot good when I did my part.

No disrespect intended, but did you let someoen else shoot it? One is gas operated and the other is gas piston, little bit different recoil impulse.

Before you call POF, I'd shoot it again, concentrate on follow through, have a buddy shoot it and then call the factory.

Try griping slightly hard and torquing the grip. She sometimes likes it rough!

Mine likes FGMM in 175G. I put in a 2-stage Geissele set to 1.5/1 lb and it helped. After cleaning it takes about 15 rounds for the groups to tighten up and then I shoot until they start getting bigger. At first I overcleaned and it really frustrated me.

I've shot this out to a 1000. Groups never as tight as my bolt and there is the occassional flier that I find is inherent in an AR. Groups are consistent.

You have experience with a semi auto, so it may not be you. I have a P-308 w/ 16.5" barrel that is generally 0.5-0.75 MOA with worked up handloads, and 0.75 with Hornady 168 grain TAP and 168 grain FGMM. It does throw fliers here and there (1 in 20 opens up a group to 1.5 MOA or more), but I'm not 100% certain it isn't me. I switched to a Geissele SSA-E, and it helped my technique but the groups really aren't any different than when I had a mil-spec AR trigger in it(mine didn't come with the POF trigger, bought it used).

Anyway, if the problem persists and is consistent even with other people shooting it I would call POF. There are enough reports out there of inconsistency that I would dare say it isn't impossible.

I noticed also that mine takes 20 rounds or so to settle in when it's been cleaned, so don't over-clean. I have also experimented with ALOT of bullets and ammo for my own curiosity and for factory ammo it shot best with the 168 FGMM load, but the 175 load was close as was the Hornady 168 TAP. In handloads it did well with 155 AMAX.

Most everyone who has picked up my friend's pof 16" has been able to shoot 1.5" or better off a rest even people who have never fired an AR pattern rifle. I'd try single feeding 168FGMM and if it doesn't group well back to POF it goes. Lemons do leave the factory from time to time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danco411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any insight?</div></div>You first need to know whether it's the rifle or the shooter. That means you have to know what your capabilities are with a gas gun. You may get advice, but none of it will be meaningful to you unless you post some target pics and describe what you were doing at the time.

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I have let others shoot it, mainly my son who is better behind the trigger than me. I'll try the advice about not over cleaning. Having OCD I lean towards the side of spotless.

I did try some lighter pills so it might be ammo related or I am getting used to the trigger.

Here is my best string last night with 155g A-Max. This is a ten round string so I'm pretty happy. I just hope I can reproduce this. This was 100 yards off my DTF lead sled.

I'm also looking to sell my Timney 3lb in my AR15, putting the POF 4lb in that and buying an SSA-E for the POF.

As mentioned the piston rifle is very different from the DI so I guess I just needed to get used to it.

target10.jpg

Mine is always .75" and usually better with some real good groups thrown in the mix. I am a bolt guy and it took me a while to be able to shoot the gun to its' potential. I put in a Gieselle NM trigger and installed a PRS......helped me shoot it much better. I am running 155 and 175 Berger VLD handloads. This is what it will do if I am on my game....and I will still get a flier with a gas gun sometimes like the one at 12 o'clock. This is only 5 shots...got excited and blew the fifth shot. I just cannot shoot a gas gun as consistently well as a bolt...but I'm getting there.

POFCopy.jpg

Thanks. It's not every time by any means but the gun can shoot if I get my fundamentals going. They are so much harder to shoot like that vs my bolts........ for me anyway. I have to really focus.

Took me some time to get used to and with some mods like a SR gold trigger different muzzle brake and a good firm grip. but I'm pretty happy with it now. It's a 16.5 barrel btw

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danco411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As mentioned the piston rifle is very different from the DI so I guess I just needed to get used to it.
</div></div>

Shifting cheekweld = 2 groups, a bit of vertical stringing on the right group could be forward/backward movement, looks fine to me you just need some more practice with it. Maybe get a better rest figured out, try a different trigger too.

It took me a while to figure out that my gun likes to be held a little firm. The biggest determining factor in accuracy with rifles that like to be held firm. Is being consistent with applied pressure between shots.

Here is what mine does when I do my part.

100 yards with 168 FGMM.
061312165204.jpg

686 yards 168 FGMM. Just under 3"
061812132719.jpg

I've had good luck with mine I've just shot some cheap Monarch 145 gr steel threw it and it will put 10 of those cheap round at least as close as the target you've post shooting fairly rapidly.

Try some hornady match 155 projectiles, 42gr XBR and cci BR primers to start and go up by .2gr increments to 44gr.

155 hornady match at 100yds bipod/bag

picture3a.jpg

Hornady 175 and gfmm 175

did not like 175 in factory
Picture2%20001a.jpg

Last time out to the range with a clean rifle I put two magazines full of 150gr winchester white box through it, then settled in with 168gr FGMM. Mine wears the 14.5" barrel with the pinned POF brake. I was shooting consistant 3/4" center to center 5 shot groups for the next 50 rounds. Then I moved to the 400 yard range and was putting 10 rounds into a group I could cover with my palm.
I try not to use too much copper remover when I clean, normally one fill up with the outers foam and a few swipes with a bore snake followed by 5 or 6 patches on a tight jag. It normally takes less then a magazine of white box to settle in and then I use FGMM or black hills blue. And as the others here have posted I keep mine pulled in hard against my shoulder and follow through on every shot. The piston guns (I have this 308 POF and two 223 LWRC rifles) seem to like it tight and rock solid or the dual recoil impulse from the piston throws it off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try griping slightly hard and torquing the grip. She sometimes likes it rough! </div></div>

I'd agree that my P308 (Piston) likes a more firm grip.

When I first started shooting semi-autos and switched from precision bolt guns, I had a similar problems with my groups being great one time and then opening up later, and being inconsistent. Of course, I wondered if it was the barrel getting hot, loose scope rings, faulty equipment, etc.

But, I realized that it was the shooter (me), and that my cheek weld positioning and angle that I was looking through my scope was inconsistent. After I corrected these problems and became better at recoil impulse control, the rifle is very consistent.

The platform is more than capacity of under 3/4MOA accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is always .75" and usually better with some real good groups thrown in the mix. I am a bolt guy and it took me a while to be able to shoot the gun to its' potential. I put in a Gieselle NM trigger and installed a PRS......helped me shoot it much better. I am running 155 and 175 Berger VLD handloads. This is what it will do if I am on my game....and I will still get a flier with a gas gun sometimes like the one at 12 o'clock. This is only 5 shots...got excited and blew the fifth shot. I just cannot shoot a gas gun as consistently well as a bolt...but I'm getting there.

POFCopy.jpg
</div></div>

I have the same problem. 4 shoots usually clover leafed and 1 flyer usually low that turns a 0.3" group into a 0.6" group.
mad.gif

make sure the forearm isnt touching the barrell or any part of it at the front, it should be completely free floated, i got two of these guns with that issue and had to send them back to get fixed.

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving..
I have a POF P308 20" and I have gotten best precision from FGMM, Corbon 168gr TTSX, and Southwest Ammunition 175gr SMK. All shoot sub MOA. I am shooting off an Atlas bipod and sand bag rear.

This is the same story I had with my POF. I got pretty much the same answers you have here. Nothing could bring it around. I got the same suggestion about the recoil pulse is different than a DI gun, etc. The question is that I never hear of these same issues with other piston guns, only POF. Maybe someone can point me to some threads discussing the same issue with other ones and prove me wrong. I got zero help from POF. Too bad because otherwise it was an awesome gun. Just wouldn't shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the same story I had with my POF. I got pretty much the same answers you have here. Nothing could bring it around. I got the same suggestion about the recoil pulse is different than a DI gun, etc. The question is that I never hear of these same issues with other piston guns, only POF. Maybe someone can point me to some threads discussing the same issue with other ones and prove me wrong. I got zero help from POF. Too bad because otherwise it was an awesome gun. Just wouldn't shoot. </div></div>

Wild off topic question...KTM Talk?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeld1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wild off topic question...KTM Talk? </div></div>

Yup. Looks like we own the same two rifles as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeld1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wild off topic question...KTM Talk? </div></div>

Yup. Looks like we own the same two rifles as well. </div></div>

Lol, it's a small world. I guess we all travel in the same circles with these hobbies I suspect. Next up...snowmobiles.