• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF P308 ACCURACY

CanSniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Colorado, Pawnee Grass Land
Hi! wanted to seek the expertice of the members here, about my POF P308 16.5 inch barrel. The problem I am Having is it is very inconsitant, and averages 2MOA somtimes a little better somtimes alot worse. I have tried all kinds of factory match ammo with different bullets and grns. I have also tried working up handloads like normal, shooting five shot groups in .2 grn increments through a chrono. Watching ES, pressure, and grouping, as I work up. I have tried Varget W/ 155 SMK palmas, 178 AMAX, and even 208 BTHP. I also tried Hogdon Benchmark and IMR 8208 W/ the 155s. Just when I think I have found a load, next time out its all over the place. When I do find a node in my ladder test, it is very narrow.( as in .2 low shoots like crap and .2 higher shoots like crap, with one ok-awsome group in the middle.) But then like I said, I load that load head to the range, and it sucks again. I have sent the rifle back to POF twice. The first time they said they polished the chamber, but made no diff. the second time they just sent it back with no explaination of what or if anything was done. I am still having a hard time with this rifle. I know that driving a gasser is not like driving a bolt gun, but i dont think i am driving it that bad. And I have had others that can DEFINITELY shoot a gasser, verify the issue. Am I missing somthing or does any one have suggestions. Or is it time to give up. Thank you for your time in advance. And I am not trying to bash POF just trying to solve this problem.

Re: POF P308 ACCURACY

Mine is a solid .6-.7 and some times .4-.5" gun with 155 Bergers over Varget. It took me a good bit of shooting to get consistent with the gun. A gasser just magnifies the fool behind it and working the fool out of myself took some practice. No load I tried working up was close to 2 moa. Not sure what to say as a cause for you issues because the guns have a rep for accuracy.....have you evaluated your optics and optics mounts? Your comment that a load will shoot good and next time out it sucks would lead me to optics and driver problems. Good luck with it.

I have a Hogan 18" .308 (Hogan manufactures and is the original designer of POF's guns) and have no issues shooting sub MOA. How are you shooting from the bench? What type of shooting experience do you have?

My rail came loose twice before I finally loctited it. All other issues have been just my learning curve. Consistency in grip pressure, cheek position and pressure, and of course trigger have all been little gremlins.

Thank-you for the response, especially with load info, on the Bergers if you don't mind me asking what your charge weight is? I have tried three diff scopes on the rifle, including a night force 3.5-15, a night force 5.5-22 and a vortex pst 2.5-10. Also have tried diff mounts. Although my shooting experience is limited in comparison to some on here, I shoot at distance every weekend. And like I said has been verified by very experienced shooters. I love the rifle, and it runs flawlessly. In defence of POF the rifle was almost 2 years old before I brought this to their attention. I had a red dot mounted for a while, and did not shoot the rifle much. Like I said not bashing POF just lookin for a solution.

Rifle needs sent back, they are way more accurate than that!!!

44.5gr Varget seated 2.800. Not a smoker by any means but the most accurate in my gun and solid 7-800yds and closer. Sounds like you have experience and are using good stuff.....definitely get up with POF about your continuing issues. Maybe some of the guys on here that are tight with/used to work at POF could help you out with who to talk to at POF...try sobrbiker883.

Get with Frank or Cody about it.

I will try a lead sled, and single feed. Even though it hurts my pride. It has been my experience that I can shoot better from the prone than from the sled.

Mine shoots very well. I would ask POF if they fired for groups if you sent it to them for accuracy issues. I know there are some guys there that can shoot, and am surprised they didn't give you more info the second time you sent it. You should expect the rifle to shoot at least MOA. My load is 44g varget behind hornady 168 amax and winchester brass. Start below and work up to it for safety reasons. Sierra 168 match kings shoot well also, same charge. As far as factory loads, mine loves the hornady TAP (have gotten 5 shots in 3/8"!) and federal GMM - both 168 grain bullets.
Best of luck, I would be frustrated if I were in your shoes also. The guys at POF have always been really helpful to me, hope things aren't changing.

Any thoughts on how to get in contact with Frank? Although by now I am sure the rifle is out of warranty, and POF never has actually made a accuracy claim. I am sure that they would give it third look, if the proper avenues were pursed. They prolly get a hundred ass holes a year say that somthing is wrong with their rifle, when it is the loose nut behind the wheel. But just a straight email seems to get no where.

CanSniper. I had the exact same problems you are having with mine. I tried all kinds of loads. Single shot tests. Magazine fed. Hand fed. Blah Blah Blah.

Could never get in contact with anyone at POF either by phone or email.

Finally just sold it.

Had a DPMS LR308 before the POF that shot great.

Now I have another DPMS LR308 that guess what? Shoots great!

Too bad because I really liked that POF from a design/quality standpoint. Just would not shoot consistently.

I was having a few accuracy issues with one of my 2 POF 308's today, and I noticed that it is likely because I switched from the Tac rail ti the HS rail, without removing or grinding down the bayonet lug, which *does* contact the rail under the gas block with the HS rail. You may want to check this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwillits505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hard to believe these issues people are having even once in awhile with a rifle that costs so damn much..</div></div>

Why?

There's NOTHING that is man made that doesn't have an issue from time to time, no matter of it's POF, Noveske, LMT, LWRC, DPMS, or anyone else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwillits505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hard to believe these issues people are having even once in awhile with a rifle that costs so damn much..</div></div>

Why?

There's NOTHING that is man made that doesn't have an issue from time to time, no matter of it's POF, Noveske, LMT, LWRC, DPMS, or anyone else. </div></div> ANY thing machanical will have issues, I have contacted Frank and am confident this issue will be resolved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was having a few accuracy issues with one of my 2 POF 308's today, and I noticed that it is likely because I switched from the Tac rail ti the HS rail, without removing or grinding down the bayonet lug, which *does* contact the rail under the gas block with the HS rail. You may want to check this. </div></div>I Do not see any contact between the rail and gas block. Is that what you are talking about? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was having a few accuracy issues with one of my 2 POF 308's today, and I noticed that it is likely because I switched from the Tac rail ti the HS rail, without removing or grinding down the bayonet lug, which *does* contact the rail under the gas block with the HS rail. You may want to check this. </div></div>I Do not see any contact between the rail and gas block. Is that what you are talking about? Thanks </div></div>

Some older models had a bayonet lug under the gas block, but it doesn't sound like yours does.

Just sold my POF upper to the major!! It was flawless for me and he is thrilled to death with it!!

I have been very happy with mine, I have a hard time being consistant but I have been able to shoot several 3/4 MOA groups.

My load is:

175 SMK
43.4gr Varget
CCI BR2 Primer
Winchester Brass
2.805 COAL

~ 2550fps over the chrony at 70 degrees and this shows some ejector marks with brass lasting 4 loads without any issues. This is with a 20 inch barrel.

Hello CaSniper,

My name is Rob Pettorsson, from POF-USA, First off thank you for bringing this to my attention. At your leisure can you put a radio check into the shop and ask for me personally so we can get your rifle tuned up. If anyone else watching this thread is experiencing any type of problem what so ever do not hesitate to follow suit and contact me as well. Thank you all for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pettorsson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello CaSniper,

My name is Rob Pettorsson, from POF-USA, First off thank you for bringing this to my attention. At your leisure can you put a radio check into the shop and ask for me personally so we can get your rifle tuned up. If anyone else watching this thread is experiencing any type of problem what so ever do not hesitate to follow suit and contact me as well. Thank you all for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. </div></div>

Now THAT ^^^ is taking the bull by the horns. It's always good to see a firearms manufacturer step up (publically) on the forum and take measures to rectify the problem.

Had the same issues with my POF. Tried everything finally sold it.Im sure they make great rifles but I had a bad experience with Franks brother in customer service.Glad I sold it and moved on. Good Luck

Yeah, from what I've heard on multiple occasions and from different sources is that Chris DeSomma is a 'class A' douche bag. He's now being sued by POF in a civil suit.

hahaha! Chris... yeah, we wasn't very helpful when i had multiple conversations with him. It was the person who succeeded him that was much more helpful and no questions asked, took the rifle back to work on it.

Just got off the phone with Rob @ POF sounds like they are going to take VERY good care of me. Frank sent an Email and is sending a call tag for my Rifle. I will make sure to keep every one posted. Thank every body who posted with advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pettorsson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello CaSniper,

My name is Rob Pettorsson, from POF-USA, First off thank you for bringing this to my attention. At your leisure can you put a radio check into the shop and ask for me personally so we can get your rifle tuned up. If anyone else watching this thread is experiencing any type of problem what so ever do not hesitate to follow suit and contact me as well. Thank you all for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. </div></div>

I know that every POF owner including myself is sure glad to see that ^

I hope to hear a lot of good things from and about POF going strong after all of the things that have gone down with the court cases etc with Hogan. Glad to hear you guys aren't going anywhere and that someone is officially here to help. That will go a long way.

Good luck Rob and thanks for joining, stepping up and posting.

I know that POF has taken great care of me in the past. I purchased a used .223 a while back and the gas plug broke. Called them up and told them them what what happened. They covered it no questions asked even though I was not the original purchaser of the gun. On top of that when it came back from them they shipped it in a nice POF plastic hard case and upgraded my BCG to the roller cam and a upgraded charging handle all at no cost. I couldn't have been happier with them.
As for my P308 it has run flawlessly and shoots .5" groups @ 100 yards all day if I do my part. I have been using Federal brass, 44 Gr BLC-2, and Hornaday 168 BTHP match bullets. It will do the same with my hunting load as well.

I hope they get yours fixed up as they are great rifles and a great company.

Glad to hear their customer service is still excellent, anxious to hear how it performs when they are done with it.

I sent my P308 back to them. The issue was with the rail. POF replaced the rail upgraded to the rollerpin and polished the feed ramp. They also test fired it. The gun shoots great now. Their customer service is great and I am grateful for there services. Hope it turns out good for you.

Glad it got taken care of. Damn shame it took three tries (that had to be frustrating), but props to the rep for jumping in and getting it squared away.

I know of 3 people this has happened to. None of the 3 got resolved. One shipped it back twice and its came back both times with no note or any info as to what was going on. The second time it came back the rifle was shipped in 2 pieces upper/lower and the 2 halves scraped together putting a nice big gouge in the left upper. My buddy was so pissed he just stuck the rifle in his safe and its been sitting there for about 1 year now untouched and unfired. Who knows if it got fixed or not but it sure as hell got damaged in return shipment. Chris was the contact at POF.

Just wanted to keep everyone posted.
UPS picked up my rifle on monday the 30th, and it was deliverd to Cody @ POF @ 11:16 am on Feb. 1st.
I look forward to receiving it back and will keep every one posted.

I see you've sent it back. Did you check to see that the bayonet lug or what used to be a lug wasn't touching the forearm? Mine came out the box rubbing the foregrip and wouldn't shoot until that was cut back. You can do it in 20 minutes at home. Cody will fix you up though. I love my POF's, 2 each 223 & 308. But will say the 223's are more accurate, @.5 vs .8-1 moa.

glad to here you are getting takin care of i ended up selling mine couldn't get the accuracy i wanted even off of a sled. wish i knew about this site back then. let us know what happens.

My P308 wasn't very stable shooting with a Harris bi-pod. I switched over to an Atlas and it made a huge difference in accuracy. Maybe another option for ya.