• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

POF P415

Aron81

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2007
ND, USA
I've come pretty close (a couple times now) to purchasing one of these rifles. I'm looking to get a good 5.56 AR in the <span style="font-weight: bold">piston</span> variety and like a lot of the features in what's listed for the P415 and for what seems like a good price.

I've tried to do a lot of research on a lot of forums but am coming here to ask because, well, I trust this one more than others.

Has anyone had any recent experience with the 5.56 rifles from POF? I have read a lot of very good reviews that put them right up there with LWRC and I've read a handful of reviews about some very bad experiences with quality and then with customer service as well. But then again I hear lots of good things about both quality and customer service, too. I understand that there was (is) some issues between them and an associate company that they were building these rifles with, but I'm trying to verify that their current production is not still having issues.

I have also been considering an ACR and honestly, am leaning towards it at this point. I have done a lot of reading on that, too, of course and know of it's quirks as well.

I am also open to other suggestions. I know there will be the obligatory "LWRC, done" comments, and I definitely appreciate that, but my goal is to get something OTHER than that, since I have a good friend who already has an M6A2 that I want to compare something different against.

I know there is a post every other day about "what's better" that just turns into an opinion-fest for "get this" or "get that," but my question ultimately remains, "is POF now good to go?" If not, why not and THEN you can tell me what to get!
wink.gif

Thanks, hide.

Re: POF P415

I own a P415 with an 18 inch barrel. Its a couple of years old and is a great gun. Haven't had an issue with it and it even survived a 4 day rifle course *gasp*.

Probably have close to 1500 rounds through it and it still shoots as good as the day I first got it.

These guns are really well thought out and that is the reason I have both the 5.56 and the .308 that POF offers.

I have hit silhouette full size targets with the 5.56 out to 500 yards with walmart ammo without problems and the enlarged heat sink is really a nice feature when your shooting in 100+ degree weather.

The 5R barrel with match grade ammo really shoots well and you can get sub MOA groups with the gun if you do your part.

Follow up shots are easy and recoil is just a tad more than your average DI set up.

2010 P308 - excellent rifle, shoots smooth and like a house on fire. This one was so good I bought another in 5.56, a 2009 P415 lower with 2011 upper, also excellent, no issues. I got this one from Frankie Ice..definitely a great guy to buy from.
Both shoot sub MOA.
The P415 with 16.5" bbl is light, quick and precise. Never had a FTF or FTE. It is scary accurate with Black Hills 5.56 50gr TSX.

The design, materials and manufacturing are all top notch. After receiving each rifle I spent some time polishing the bolt, lugs, feed ramps and chamber, and adjusted the bolt carrier over-run to a minimum. Just follow Hellbender's tutorial on tuning up an AR; solid advice for any rifle. Although the stock springs worked fine, I replaced them with Tubb's CS flat springs

I would not hesitate to buy or use a POF.

I didn't buy a complete rifle but did purchase on of their uppers
a few years ago. It shoots fine with no problems.
It's a breeze to keep clean . Fit and finish is top knotch. It's probably one of my favorite AR's that I own.

If you do decide to go with the POF
I don't think you will be disappointed with your purchase.

I own both the P308 and the P415. I have shot them in a variety of scenarios - long range, short range, CQ - and they have always performed flawlessly for me. Fit, finish and design are excellent.
I have contacted POF on several occasions for some extra screw, a additional sling mount and have always been treated well. Service has been great.
Based on my experience I don't think you will go wrong buying a POF.

Good luck

I have a 2009 POF P415 with 18" barrel I won at a match and it's a great rifle. Accurate and reliable and has never given me problems. I use it in 3 gun matches now and general fun shooting. POF is an excellent company and Frank stands behind his products.

Here's a pic from not long after I got it and I threw a cheap Millet scope on it. Worked fine but it now wears an S&B Short Dot 1-4x.
P6190587.jpg

P6190585.jpg

P3150515.jpg

Alright, thanks for the feedback, guys. This was definitely a rifle I want to like, but when you read some of those things (just like any other company, I suppose) you get some doubts.

Next question. A noob AR question, I know.. but if I get it with the stock flash hider and a 14.7" barrel (making it 16.1") and then I want to change the flash hider to a QD aac or yhm or whatever else I decide to go with for suppression, they can just replace the stock FH without cutting down the barrel any, correct? I don't want to go through an SBR just to put a QD hider on there.

The POF 415 is a sweet shooter, with great recoil control. The quality is top notch throughout. Accuracy is all that they claim it to be. Very smooth operation, especially when charging. Exceptionally clean shooting rifle as well. I like the design of the entire lower, which included an enlarged trigger well and ambi-controls. Trigger is crisp and feels perfect for a battle rifle.

Two things I didn't like were the extra height of the mono-rail and the rifles overall weight. My model has the full predator rail, so I'm sure that the rail, along with the beefy 5r barrel contribute to most of the felt weight. The rifle was a bit front heavy at first, so I replaced the original stock with a Magpul UBR and it really balanced out the rifle.

Oh yeah, the factory break works great, but it's a beast to the ears of anyone surrounding you!

Overall, you would be very happy purchasing one, but don't expect it to be your lightest option available.

I built mine. The 415 was so awesome, I decided to try the p308. Like the guys said, I got my upper through Frankie Ice on here. POF has like a 16-20wk wait, but they are worth it. I went with the hunter rail for the 308. My 556 has the older style rail that is like a tank and is way too heavy. The new rails are a lot less weight. I am looking at getting the new style rail for my 556. My 556 shoots awesome, going out to shoot my p308 for the first time on Labor Day.

55289-400x400.jpg

55470-400x400.jpg

Yes, I changed the break on my p308 and probably will on my 556.

Can the muzzle break on a 14.5" barrel be replaced without cutting down the barrel?

I know I've read that pinned / welded flash hiders and muzzle breaks can be changed without shortening the barrel, but just want to make sure on this one to keep it 16" OAL.

I am not the expert, but I would think you could have it repinned with whatever mb you by a gunsmith. You could always call/email cs at pof-usa and ask. They usually email back in less than 24hrs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aron81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the muzzle break on a 14.5" barrel be replaced without cutting down the barrel?

I know I've read that pinned / welded flash hiders and muzzle breaks can be changed without shortening the barrel, but just want to make sure on this one to keep it 16" OAL. </div></div>

It can be replaced no problem without cutting the barrel.
Drilled out or they can cut the break or flashider right off the barrel.

I think you mean a soldered flash hider or break. Most smiths don't even use this anymore.
They just blind pin it and might dab a little solder over it.

They don't weld them on.

I would say check out the group buy thread. Lowlight posted for Frankie Ice, who is the member that I was referred to in purchasing pof-usa uppers. Way cheaper than everyone else. Only positive things when dealing with him. Pof has like a 20 week lead time. Let us know what you decide.

I also own a POF 415. Great rifle never had any problems at all. Shoots sub 100 yard 5 shoot groups with a NF NXS 1-4X24 scope on 4X.

I have one that I won at the Sniper's Hide Cup a few years ago. Frank supports competitive shooters and, like Rob says, he stands behind his stuff if there's ever a problem.

I use it as my precision AR. Now, a few thousand rounds later, it's hands-down my favorite AR: Accurate. Reliable. Easy to clean. My team-mate used it as our carbine for the TBAC 24-Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge. We beat the crap out of it - never a problem with it - and now he wants one.
IMG_2950.jpg