• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POI M1 springfield armory using fed garand load

Re: POI M1 springfield armory using fed garand load

Nope the average for 200 yards is "8" up. You need to find a taller front sight.

Measure the sight radius, divide 3600 (number of inches in 100 yards) by the sight radius.

The number you get will tell you how much higher the front sight needs to be per MOA.

So divide 3600 by the sight radius times 13 and that would tell you how much higher you need to go.

I'd go a tad higher so you have some down elevation to play with.

Is the stock USGI or a aftermarket replacement. Either way check and make sure the barrel is not touching the sides of the barrel channel which could be putting upward presure on the barrel. If it is relieve the area by sanding the edges of the channel at a 45 degree angle.

what are the hex screws for on the elevation knob, can they be used to lower or reset the zero?

its got an aftermaket stock on it but i still have the usgi wood

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding hex screws on the elevation knob. Did you check your stock for barrel clearence?

sorry regular slotted screw on the elevation knob. Im not sure how tell if the plastic stock is causing this. for now (its my brothers gun) were gonna put the wood stock back on and try that first. the sight did have 72 clicks of elevation. I will be posting a pic of the sight tonight. I think the peep does not sit far enough down into the halfmoon notch? thanks so far for the help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">regular slotted screw on the elevation knob</div></div>

That screw is for loosening/tightening the elevation knob. It wont help in elevation or windage.

What its for is:

Look and the left side of the sight. You'll see witness markes 1 to 11. The odd numbers are only marks the even numbers ar numbered. As the sight moves up, the spaces between the marks get further apart.

Now you should have a mark on the reciever to line up with these marks on the dial.

What you are suppose to do with sight in the rifle is to fire it to get your zero. Once that's obtained you count the clicks and record your zero. Then move the sight all the way down. Loosen the elevation screw (the one you asked about). Turn the knob to the mark corsponding with the yardage you zeroed. count down the number of clicks you recorded for your zero. (For example, mine is 9 at 200 yards)

After bottoming out the sight, I put the 200 mark on the mark on the reciever, then count down 9 clicks. Tighten up the sight screw and count up 9 clicks to make sure it lines up with the "2" mark on the rifle sights. If it doesn't do it again.

Then I take the rifle back to the range set it on 200 and comfirm my zero. You should also find out that if you put it on 3, its on for 300, 4 for 400 etc.

But back to your question. If your sights are bottomed down, all the way into the sight base, and you are still shooting high you need a higher front sight.

The sight radius on the M1 Garand is 28 inches. Divide 28/3600 = .0077. Thats how much you have to raise your front sight to move your impact 1 MOA or 1 inch at 100 yards. To move it 13 inches that would be .10.

I never saw any M1 that required that much higth change. But its not uncommon someone filed it down that much for what ever reason.

I find it difficult to believe the stock is the culpert. I believe if that was the case, then the group would be all over the place, not just 13 inches high.

Could you measure the front sight post to give us an ideal of its higth, that should tell us if someone filed down the sight.

Just a bit of info: Shooting a rifle with a bayonet normally makes it shoot lower. Some one probably filed the front sight down so he could zero it with the bayonet attached.

GIs do wierd things with their rifles. When I was running sniper schools using the M1, I had to keep a full time armor on hand just to fix what shooters fixed.

the gun was new in the box so i dont think the front sight was filed, at 200 yards i didnt put it in paper but had to aim 4-6 inches low to hit an 5X8" long steel plate. does this look "all the way down"

m1001.jpg

It looks down from here. Can you get a measurment of the front sight post. Mine is .240 and like I said, at 200 yards my zero is 9 up. Or 7 up at 100 yards. That's taking a six o'oclock hold.

I guess if you were to aim center of mass, then I'd have to come down 6.5 clicks.