• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Police Marksman: What do you carry in your kit?

Re: Police Marksman: What do you carry in your kit?

Depends on the environment your are working. Your needs will probably be different than us southerners.

I absolutely agree, but still would be interrested to hear what ya'll pack with you.

I agree with insayn, does that make me crazy?
Anyway I assume you have been on the job a while.....if so then think about what you have encountered during you tour(s) and then think about how you would accomplish tasks given of a police sniper. Your terrain, weather, urban or rural areas will dictate what you may need and the amount of space you have in your car may have a direct impact on just how big you kit is.
That said, Always, always, always think about being in the hottest sun, coldest cold, so think of your comfort/health like bug spray, sun screen, water, Your callouts maybe minutes maybe days (Although police snipers usually are able to be releived more easily than military snipers) you never know. Equipment wise, keep in your immediate kit what you will primarily use, I keep a secondary kit to supplement what I keep on hand when I deploy. Not all deployments will need bolt cutters, but they are nice to have when you need them-maybe a good idea for the secondary kit. Extra ammo is a good idea. Ghille...
So many things so little time, we could list everything but not all would be applicable to you.
Check with other snipers in your area, good idea to network with them anyhow no sense re-inventing the wheel learn from the others around you and how they have adapted to thier areas.
Hope this helps...

Robb

My load out depends on what time of year.

Summer:
2 AR mags
2 ten round AICS mags for long gun
2 MP5 mags
2 Glock pistol mags
Blow out kit
Radio/spare battery
Cell phone
Leatherman
Kestrel wind/temp meter
Leica LRF
Swaro binos
Tactical Concealment ghillie
Electricians tape
550 cord
Hand cuffs
Zip ties
Bug headnet
Bug dope
Water
Spare batteries
Surefire 6P
MUM-14 (not needed most of the time because of the constant daylight. Used mostly in the fall and winter)
Anti-fog cloth

Winter add ons:
Overwhites
Ground blanket about 4' x 4'
Facemask
Two beanie covers
Three pairs gloves/different weights
Fur hat
Spare socks
Bunny boots
Rifle blanket/white
Two bic lighters/zippo/windproof lighter
misc foods/water (usually turns to ice)
Suppressed Walther P22

Weapon usually depends on the type of call. I always patrol into position with either an MP5 or Colt FA Commando.

Not knowing what part of the state you are in, I assume it will be similar to here. Southeast Alaska would be a different kit altogether for me, more keyed into the wet vs. cold weather. I've probably left off some of the usual stuff. I carry a metric buttload of gear in my patrol car. It also depends on how you deploy to the call. I respond to calls with truck, snowmachine, 4 wheeler, or boat. My gear may change depending on where the call is and how I get there.

Oh damn, I'm glad we don't have winters like that down here! I'd hate to be on a 4-8 hour stand off in snow!

I'm in SE Alaska so I tend to carry a lot more rainwear hehehe...

Being in the SE, you could just deploy wearing a yellow poncho. They will just think you are another tourist off of the cruise ship.

Urban hide gear (material, push pins, stapler, overwhites)
Camo Netting for greenside
Rain gear (2 ponchos)
Tripod with head
MRE
4 AICS Mags (3 ballistic tip, 1 bonded)
Duct Tape on an aluminum flat (for space saving)
J Hooks to screw into trees or siding for support
Paracord
Camelbak inside the pack
Off spray
Knife
Data books
Blank range cards
Smoke canister
Self Aid kit (curlex, turniquet, nasal trumpet, lung cathoder, pressure bandage)
Sharpie markers, pen, mechanical pencil
Leica Range Finders
Steiner Binoculars
Sand Sock
Kestrel 4000

It was an additional duty for me. Patrol being my main job. I carried a M-700 Varment in 223, two boxes of M-193, and of course a data book.

I also carried a spotting scope, mat, Nothing fancy. I had my normal patrol and EOd equipment, much of which overlapped. Being LE, not much need for multi-rounds. Normally what was in the mag would work.

It depends. If it is a call out on a stand off or something short or is expected to be a short call, I have what I call a tricky bag. Just basic stuff. Bottle of water, granola bars, duct tape, leatherman, extra ammo, poncho, data book, pen, bug spray, etc. A lot of the stuff listed above is nice to have, but I don't usually have it on me. I carry everything in a small backpack. Some guys I work with, carry very little, while others seem to carry it all. We are usually close to a car, so if we need something, another team member or officer will bring us what we need.

However, with that being said...I recently had to do a 2 day planned overwatch with another team. There were 4 of us (2 man teams) alternating watch hours. We needed more intel on who was coming and going from a farm. The investigators were needing the info for their case on the owners (prostitution and drugs etc).

It was a planned for 2 days, but we had to stay out the entire weekend. IT SUCKED! We got all the intel we needed, but a lot of stuff we brought we didnt really need and it stayed back at the camp site.

Here is all we used in the hide.

poncho (cause it rained all freaking day)
bug spray
SPF 50
baby wipes
data books and note books
binos
spotter scope
GPS
video and digital camera
water and snack bars

That is what we actually USED. We had just about everything we could possibly think of between the 4 of us. Lost a lot of it too. Still missing a set of Steiners, a gerber tool and a pair of gloves.haha Always seems like the more you bring the more you loose.

We brought our sticks with us, but didnt even load them. We each had our M4's just in case. We volunteered for that mission, but I doubt we will do that anytime soon!

Oh and to add just how bad it SUCKED...

When it was over, we all had to submit our travel vouchers for the TDY. All we could claim was basic MI&E (meals, etc.) because we did not stay in a hotel, so we couldnt claim that. It didnt even cover all the food we brought...

Plus, NO OVERTIME because it was not scheduled prior to the start of the work week. So, basically we did that entire weekend for free. Well, our donation to the cause..but none the less. We bent over and took that one!haha

dunno really but ill take a stab and say donuts are in there, just sayin.

Sorry for the long post, but here's a list our team put together a few years ago. This is all-encompassing. This is stuff we always kept in our cars, but not necessarily carrried on every op. Keep in mind, 90% of the time, you'll pack way more than you'll ever need for an op, but it's nice to have. One of the handiest things we carried, that I can't take credit for, was a simple $2.00 screw-in tree step for deer hunting. It makes a VERY handy rest, when you have nothing else but trees around you. Take what you can use and disregard the rest. Hope this gives you some ideas.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Required Clothing</span>
Ghillie Suit (purchased or homemade) - Reimbursable
Camo Face Paint
Camo Gloves (summer and winter weights)
Tan or Camo Boots - Reimbursable
MOLLE Vest, Mesh tac Vest, Load Bearing Equipment vest, or Web Gear Belt
Camo Cold/Wet Weather Gear - Possibly Patrol issued

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Required Gear</span>
Rifle - Patrol issued or personal rifle
100 Rounds of .308 Ammo (40 minimum in pack) - Patrol issued
Backpack/Hydration System (Camo, OD or Coyote)
Glock Holster (on vest or on belt)
Small Notebook or Sketch Book (Preferably Write-in-Rain capable)
All-Weather Pen or Mechanical Pencil
Binoculars (Preferably compact or roof prism binos)
Compass
Portable GPS - Patrol issued
Tactical Light (Sure-Fire, Gladius, etc.)
MRE’s (Minimum of 1 in pack) - Patrol issued
Flex-Cuffs or Large Zip-Ties - Patrol issued
Flash-Bang - Patrol issued
Smoke - Patrol issued

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Suggested Items</span>
MOLLE vest, Mesh tac vest, or LBE vest
Ballistic vest
Boonie Hat or Do-Rag (Camo, OD, or Coyote)
Camo Face Mask/Balaclava
Under Armour-type shirt (to wear under ghillie) - Under Armour brand is Reimbursable
One complete change of clothing
White snow camo during the winter… can use old white sheets or t-shirts to wrap equipment or buy
Camo handkerchief or bandana
Sniper Veil
Extra ghillie material
Insulated Boots (Camo or Tan) - Reimbursable
Good radio ear piece and microphone
Cell phone with silent capability
Laser Range Finder
Red lens flash light
Field Knife
Clippers or Shears
Disposable Lens Wipes
Toilet Paper (in waterproof baggie)
Shooting Sticks
Rear Shooting Rest Bag
Screw-in Tree Step
1” OD Green Nylon Utility Strap
Shooting Mat
Cough Drops
5-5-0 Cord
Extra Batteries (AA, CR-123, etc.)
Grappling hook with rope
Small propane torch
Small collapsible shovel
Duck tape preferably green
Black electrical tape
Something to break glass with…i.e. ASP or commercial rescue tool glass breaker
Goggles or eye protection
Ear plugs
Insect Repellent
Baby wipes
Sunscreen in the summer
First aid supplies
Foot powder and mole skin
First aid supplies
If you wear contacts, extra solution and contacts AND glasses

Thanks for all who have contributed. Its been nice to see what different folks are doing!

Mine in no particular order:

Spare Ammo
Binos
Spotting Scope
LRF
Data Book
Pens, pencils
Small red LED light
Compass
Thermometer
Note pad
Rain Gear
Poncho/ Poncho Liner
550 Cord
Fixed blade knife
Multi tool
Lens cleaning kit
Pruners
Water
Chow
Bugjuice
Sunscreen
Cold Weather gear if needed
Roll of 100mph tape
Ghillie hood
Face paint
Gloves
Spare radio battery
batteries/ bulbs for lights
Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Tylenol
Med Kit

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how much of this stuff do you have to buy yourself and how much is issued?

The reason I ask is I am kind of overwhelmed with the amount of stuff I need that I will have to buy myself. Damn budget cuts.

Our department issues the rifle, ammo, an old Garmin GPS 12, a mil-surplus compass, MRE's, flashbangs, smoke, some NVG's (not enough for everyone), and of course our body armor.

Non-black boots, ghillies (buy or build), Under Armor, and BDU's are reimbursed through our normal uniform expense account, which also has to cover road duty uniforms, shoes, boots, etc. (no additional funds for SWAT officers!).

Pretty much everything else is purchased by the officer, from the face camo to the backpack, and everything in between. A little at a time doesn't seem so bad, but if I went back and added up everything I've purchased on my own...
frown.gif
!