• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Police seize 5000 lbs of illegal fireworks, they go off in a residential neighborhood of Los Angeles. Cool video.

Deflagration has nothing to do with C4. You can take C and light it on fire, and it will deflagrate without an explosion. Any expansion of gasses during ignition in a container is enough to dtd if it the expansion increases past the speed of sound. The fact is those FBI blast containment vessels have certain ratings that was exceeded, or there was a major manufactor error.
Ok, I should have said more precisely "detonated like C4 that was properly initiated". I used C4 as an example for a detonating high explosive as it was mentioned by another poster and when he referred to it he obviously had in mind its use as a high explosive and not as a food ration heater. In my defense, I offered the Herman bomb disposal as an example that you can deflagrate high explosives.

From the article linked it looks like they did not exceed the weight of the explosives in the sphere. So, like you said, either the thing was not rated for detonating high explosives or it had a defect.

Last edited:
Clearly mixed up powders and didn't take the time to sieve them out before making their pipe bomb.

Probably don't pick dropped primers off the floor either.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
And the potato in chief says that the govt has f15's and nukes. And watering patriots are growing trees.....awe shit, you know that thing.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Before:
CB6B130A-43EA-47EF-AC19-544109F2356E.jpeg

During:
3FF7D8FD-65F0-4D4B-8560-677E6BA2FAC6.jpeg

After:
8CC16606-2972-4765-9518-91028E5E32B1.jpeg

I wonder if fireworks guy had any Antifa connections..........

Huh? Nice. Just noticed Google capitalizes Antifa on their own if you type it in lower case.

Guess that makes them more than an idea.

To some of the comments above... I don't believe the intent was to 'control detonate' the explosives in the neighborhood. Those are transport containers. Not intended for detonating in the middle of a street. You take to the desert like photo above. Take it out of container. And control detonate. A long way away.

I am wondering if they didn't fill the sphere up with a mishmash of flash powder, black powder, magnesium, oddball shit people put in home-brew fireworks... seal it up... and let it sit on the July LA sun for a few hours while they got photo ops, held press conferences, fist bumped each other and otherwise put on a show for the cameras. If they really got more than 2 tons of 'stuff' out of that house... there is no way that container should have been used... at least not for all of it at once.

Plus for things like fireworks with BP and flash powder, spraying it down with water and wetting it all... makes a lot more sense than putting it in the LAPD version of Fat Man for a cookout -- er -- cookoff. Then again, wetting it doesn't make for a fun afternoon controlled detonation party and lots of cool pictures for your Instagram page, does it?

Yeah, lawsuit and post-incident forensics on this will be great. Bet none of it comes to the light of day. Will have to be subpoena'd for a civil suit... if it doesn't get lost. Which it will.

This was just plain stupid.

Sirhr

According to the articles I've read on this it was an intentional detonation by lapd.

It’s true. Lord knows we did. 😂🤣😂
My wife's dog gets enough drugs he doesn't know which way is up.

Haha 5k of fireworks in a house. I guess those guys have never seen a Texas fireworks stand. It's nuts how much is in one, then have rows of boxes stacked on the back side.

LA had a hell of a personal fireworks show last year. Hopefully everyone that was gonna get some from that guy makes a run to the freedom states to get more!

Reactions: deersniper
Here is a possible explanation. They thought that the stuff put in the sphere would act like black powder but it acted like C4. Deflagration to detonation transition is the technical term. Confinement is one way to make that happen.

The home-made devices in the photos were cardboard tubes with cannon fuses. Typical fill for these is flash powder, mixtures of Potassium Chlorate or Potassium Perchlorate or Potassium Nitrate and fine Aluminum powder plus a small amount of a suitable catalyst.

SNIP

I do not think that anyone would have considered detonating 10 pounds of HE in that sphere to be a wise idea. But 10 pounds of unknown stuff that may detonate instead of deflagrate is somehow OK? If they decided to dispose an unknown substance locally because they were too worried about the risk of transporting it, then maybe it would have been be a good idea to treat the stuff with the same respect as the overaged, sweating dynamite in that old movie.

SNIP

10 lbs of 'unknown' substance? And they tried to detonate on a city street? On purpose?

I have no reason to doubt that this explanation (pardon the snips...) is correct.

But if it is... wow. I mean... wow.

And to your point Alpine44... you are right. Not a high-order detonation. But darn sure enough in a confined area to be... stupid!

Great post! Sadly!

Sirhr

According to the articles I've read on this it was an intentional detonation by lapd.
Yup, and I bet Alpine above nailed it...

Did I mention... wow?

"Hey, what is this stuff?" "Don't know." "Let's light it off in a confined space!" "On a city street?" "Sure." "Great idea! Make for great Instagram post!"

Sirhr

Last edited:
Dang, I could have blown a lot of mail boxes with all that. :snipers-logo:

Yup, and I bet Alpine above nailed it...

Did I mention... wow?

"Hey, what is this stuff?" "Don't know." "Let's light it off in a confined space!" "On a city streat?" "Sure." "Great idea! Make for great Instagram post!"

Sirhr
THats how you make it to 'FULL RETARD' in one shot, pun intended.

I wonder if the driver made it to 'FULL DARWIN'

Have toys, will play.

Looks like LAPD EOD squad skipped the youtube lesson on unknown substance disposal precautions. This is well beyond full retard.

Reactions: Jim Out
"Clearly, protocols were followed and pursued, but something happened in that containment vehicle that should have not happened, and we don't know why, but we intend to find out why," [LAPD Chief] Moore said.
Clearly.

"Clearly, protocols were followed and pursued, but something happened in that containment vehicle that should have not happened, and we don't know why, but we intend to find out why," [LAPD Chief] Moore said.

Dear LAPD Chief Moore,

In your opinion, the plebs in LA should not celebrate the birth of this nation with their own fireworks and physics "should have not" put egg in your face. But here is the problem. Physics do not give a hoot about your procedures or expectations and this type of LAPD dumbfuckery we just witnessed is not going to make the plebs any more respectful of existing or new edicts. True authority is based on wide-spread recognition of competence and foresight. A badge or a title is merely a claim that needs to be consistently earned to have any meaning.

What should have happened is immaterial. You, like any other mortal, has to understand reality and adjust to it - not the other way around. One of these realities is that the refusal of L.A. County Dist. Atty. George Gascón to punish violent crimes appropriately might blow up your overcrowded and over-tensioned jurisdiction just as effectively as the initiation of an ill-understood, volatile composition in confinement destroyed your cool EOD truck.

Please use the fireworks incident as a wake up call to look a little deeper into the details of how volatile systems might react before "pushing any more buttons" by supporting and endorsing questionable policies. While unexpected, spectacular progressions of chemical reactions are relatively rare, there is ample historical record on the disastrous social consequences of selective and capricious law enforcement. 'Equal Justice Under the Law' is not just a moral imperative, it is a practical necessity for a stable society. And "equal" means the same treatment according to the letter of the law, not what some politician declares 'equitable' to garner votes.

Sincerely,

Someone who's glad not to live in or near LA

Last edited:

Dear LAPD Chief Moore,

In your opinion, the plebs of LA should not celebrate the birth on this nation with their own fireworks and physics "should have not" put egg in your face. But here is the problem. Physics do not give a hoot about your procedures or expectations and this type of LAPD dumbfuckery we just witnessed is not going to make the plebs any more respectful of existing or new edicts. True authority is based on wide-spread recognition of competence and foresight. A badge or a title is merely a claim that needs to be consistently earned to have any meaning.

What should have happened is immaterial. You, like any other mortal, has to understand reality and adjust to it - not the other way around. One of these realities is that the refusal of L.A. County Dist. Atty. George Gascón to punish violent crimes appropriately might blow up your overcrowded and over-tensioned jurisdiction just as effectively as the initiation of an ill-understood, volatile composition in confinement destroyed your cool EOD truck.

Please use the fireworks incident as a wake up call to look a little deeper into the details of how volatile systems might react before "pushing any more buttons" by supporting and endorsing questionable policies. While unexpected, spectacular progressions of chemical reactions are relatively rare, there is ample historical record on the disastrous social consequences of selective and capricious law enforcement. 'Equal Justice Under the Law' is not just a moral imperative, it is a practical necessity for a stable society. And "equal" means the same treatment according to the letter of the law, not what some politician declares 'equitable' to garner votes.

Sincerely,

Someone who's glad not to live in or near LA

giphy.gif

Real shame about that taxpayer funded high tech toy that those clowns turned into so much scrap metal.

Physics is a cruel mistress...all sorts of unexpected and unforeseen things happen when putting different types of materials in a confined and extremely warm place like inside a steel sphere on a super hot day. The right chemical compounds can produce fumes that go boom. Once that occurs occurs, there is nowhere for the resulting heat and pressure to go.

High pressure and high heat provide the exact catalyst needed to detonate more inert materials that may have been in that mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Physics is a cruel mistress...all sorts of unexpected and unforeseen things happen when putting different types of materials in a confined and extremely warm place like inside a steel sphere on a super hot day. The right chemical compounds can produce fumes that go boom. Once that occurs occurs, there is nowhere for the resulting heat and pressure to go.

High pressure and high heat provide the exact catalyst needed to detonate more inert materials that may have been in that mix.
Here's what I'm thinking about.
Right away from the top down they are in CYA/Blame mode.
Rest assured the builder of that vessel has made an owners manual as thick as a phone book.
Along with that I'd bet the vessel has radiographic records and partical inspection every inch of the way.
Bottom line the LAPD won't be able to blame someone else by calling this a catastrophic failure.

Nope,it's all in the manual

Reenactors

During the unintentional discharge, employees of the fireworks company received minor injuries and refused transport to the hospital by Ocean City Paramedics. No beach or boardwalk patrons were injured.

"Our Fire Marshals are on the scene and will investigate the cause of the unintentional discharge," said Ocean City Fire Chief Richie Bowers. "Prior to the fireworks being off loaded from the vehicle, Fire Marshals secure a safe zone around the fireworks and put other safety protocols in place. It is this very zone and safety protocols that kept anyone else from being injured," he concluded. -
Ocean City Fire Department said in a statement.

Wait…So creepy joe gets the nuclear football and the average joe can’t even have a fuckin firecracker anymore???

Wait…So creepy joe gets the nuclear football and the average joe can’t even have a fuckin firecracker anymore???
To be fair according to the guys who used to work on nukes, much of the nuclear arsenal might already duds.

Thing is it only takes a couple to get your point accross.

I think you would get more failures in a box of WWB.

Crews that maintain those weapons are well trained and vetted.

Well since the last "insurrection" occured in D.C. I guess Pedo Joe has issued orders to target D.C. to neutralize the next one right?