• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing polished mags

JakeGein

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Valparaiso, IN
Got bored and had some time on my hands, so I stripped down my black mags and polished the hell out of them.

utf-8BSU1HMDA3MDAtMjAxMTA0MDEtMTIxMi5qcGc.jpg

Re: polished mags

What method did you use? Rubbing/Polishing Compound? Steel Wool to get the finish off?

They look great! Too bad all my mags are plastic
frown.gif

Thanks, damn plastic mags!

i used 180 grit to get the finish of (which took forever haha)
then a medium sanding block.
then 1500 grit wet sand paper.
THEN mothers mag and aluminum polish with a dremmel.

got them as close to a mirror finish as a could

I have a XD that I am trying to go the opposite way with. The mags are polished stainless steel and I want them black.

I'd try POR-15 I believe its called. Its a brand of metal paint that isn't supposed to chip or scratch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcmcconnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a XD that I am trying to go the opposite way with. The mags are polished stainless steel and I want them black. </div></div>

Yes, why would anyone build a commercial pistol with police and military sales in mind, and make the mags reflect light as bright as a mirror????

Give me a break!!

If you know someone with a bead blaster, a good matte surface, non-reflective finish can be easily applied (I've done several).

As an alternate, get a RED Scotchbrite pad and give them a good scrubbing, it will knock the shine off pretty well.

Light discipline in a tactical situation is just one of the fundamentals that are commonly overlooked by many people (and manufacturers).

To the OP, sorry to derail your thread. Your work looks fine and will give your pistol a different appearance that many people will find attractive. I'll shut up now.

Yea, I see where you're coming from. Hence why my replacement mags come in flat black. Being a recreational shooter, I don't see myself getting in to any tactical situations any time soon, and I just like black and chrome together.

And I'm sure they won't be caked with rust any time soon. Polished stainless steel tends to hold up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcmcconnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a XD that I am trying to go the opposite way with. The mags are polished stainless steel and I want them black. </div></div>

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

They make some stuff that resembles black oxide, scroll down for stainless steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakegein</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, damn plastic mags!

i used 180 grit to get the finish of (which took forever haha)
then a medium sanding block.
then 1500 grit wet sand paper.
THEN mothers mag and aluminum polish with a dremmel.

got them as close to a mirror finish as a could </div></div>
U sanded these by hand and polished with a dremel!?!?! OMG you got bored and have extreme patience, lol. Look real nice. Great job!