• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Polishing a turd? New Pics

Icallem

Football Ref
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
9h0sc8.jpg

2j886h.jpg

vscgwj.jpg

24274o2.jpg

A friend of mine inherited several rifles and shotguns. He wanted to get rid of the ones he was not going to use. One was a 1958 Model 52, that I helped him sell for lots more than he thought it would do. In turn, he let me in on this Model 70 for a really low price. My wife and I are going to give it to a nephew that loves to shoot, but his current hunting rifle is not much fun.
Here is what I think I know about this rifle. But unsure at best.
Serial Number 776xxx, puts it in the 1964-65 time frame.
The barrel is stamped 308 Win, also has RJG stamped on it which I’m guessing is the gunsmith that installed the barrel. It is a 1 in 12 twist.
The stock has been cut off. The action is bedded and the barrel free-floated.
It has a can-jar trigger.
It had some sort of peep-sight system.
When given to the nephew, it will be used for hunting deer, with a long shot being 250-300 yards. When he comes up to shoot with us, we usually shoot out to 6-700 yards.
We will help him (he is in college and has no money) with a recoil pad to get length in the stock; also will help with cutting and recrown of the barrel.
What length should the barrel be cut to?
What can be done to this stock? Can he just rattle can it?
I put this scope on yesterday just to see what it would do. It shot around 1 moa with 5 different loads, the best of which was factory Hornady 150 btsp.
I know it may not be much, but compared to his current rifle,,,,,

Thanks for any help / advice.

Re: Polishing a turd?

I would cut the barrel back to 20-22 inches and recrown. Then add a good recoil pad and a scope. It should last him many years. Stock looks fine, taking a rattle can wouldn't do it justice.

Our nephew has not seen this rifle, so he might want to leve the stock like it is. Hope we can find a pretty thick recoil pad as he is long armed.

We will let him use this scope, but I'm afraid it will hold him back shooting long distance. Maybe I can find a 10moa rail or something similar so we could change scopes when he comes up. This scope is a big step-up from what he is using.

I like the 22 inch idea.

Sounds like a nice rifle to me... especially if it is shooting a minute with factory loaded ammunition lol.

Agree with leaving out the spray paint and doing the 22ish inch barrel.

Maybe get a sling on there?

Is the scope low enough for him to get his cheek on there repeatably/well? A stock pack or something similar would raise it up a bit and might help out.

This stock has some sort of rail system that is mounted flush on the forend of the scock. It has 12 holes in it. I don't know what can be mounted in regards to a sling or bi-pod. Any ideas?
When he comes up, we will put a stock pack on to see how that works.

I love model 70's, are you interested in trading for a rifle that you are more interested in?

It looks like someone set it up to shoot high power competition.

That is FAR from a "turd" by any definition of the word!

I agree on the 20-22" barrel (and I'd probably lean toward 20" since this will be used as a hunting rifle for <300yds and the weight savings/increased portability will be nice). Depending on how "recoil shy/sensitive" your nephew might be (or his level of experience with centerfire rifles) you could also consider threading the barrel 5/8x24 for any number of different brakes/muzzle devices.

As for the pad...I am pretty sure that with the stock being cut down that you will have to do a grind-to-fit pad to get a proper fit (without going to some POS slip-on pad). Kick-eez, limbsaver and Pachmyer all offer templates for recoil pads. Best to print them off (100% size) and then use them to determine which pad will give the best fit to the rifle. You may get lucky and find one that will fit really well without much or any modification. If need be, you can sand the pad down a little to get a 100% fitment between the stock/pad. I have done this in the past and it works very well and looks good as long as your take your time and do it right.

Now for the stock...LEAVE IT ALONE!! Unless he just wants it "tacti-cooled" then there is no reason to rattle-can the stock. If he does want it painted, then proper prep work, including cleaning, priming, painting and sealing the paint will be necessary unless you want to re-rattle can it frequently. Krylon and other companies offer camo-color rattles cans for pretty cheap. Figure out what he wants or what will work best for your hunting area and go for it if it comes to that.

Most importantly though...since it is a gift rifle...it might be best to see how the rifle fits him before you get too far into modifications. For example, even with adding a nice recoil pad, if he's tall or has long arms, that might not be enough LOP to get the rifle to fit him comfortably which may necessitate a new stock or some drastically different measures. Same thing with that others have said about the scope/mount/height/etc. The nicest rifle in the world isn't worth much if it doesn't fit the person who's shooting it.

As for the rail in the forend...it sounds like an American accessory rail (5/16 for mounting a variety of accessories like handstops, etc. You can get picatinny rail sections to adapt into the rail for adding something like an Atlas bipod or a swivel stud adapter for attaching a harris bipod).

Another guy that paints cars was teasing me about the prep for the stock to paint it. He said if we both worked on it the prep would be a 12 pack.

Treebasher,
We have told him about this rifle, so it is his to do with what he wants. He is going from something that shoots 3 holes in a pie plate @ 100yards, to this, so I think he will want to keep it.

It had the peep sight set-up, as well as a hand stop in the front on that rail. The high power might be what the other guy did with it.

This would be a good cantidate for a nice adjustable buttplate. The wood looks better than most of what could be bought new nowdays, leave it be if that's what he wants. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Pillar bed that thing</span> edit- already been done, C&C at 22" and you'll have an heirloom quality firearm.

I wish there could be some history found on this rifle, but the guy that passed was 83, his widow didn't know anything about the firearm stuff, just pointed my friend to that area and told him to load it all up.

I'm really not thinking it is a turd, just this is all there is to work with and the nephew has no money and we do pretty well spending on our own rifles and scopes.

Another thing, I had a hard time finding a base for the scope for the rear. In the end had to get one and drill a new hole to fit. Does anyone know the hole space on a Model 70?

Pretty cool rifle. I'd cut the barrel shorter as well. The stock looks, to me, like a home built/finished piece, looking at the grip section, no checkering anywhere, and the finish. Limbsaver has a ton of pads that you can have fitted that will be a whole bunch more comfortable than that metal plate. Other than that, I wouldn't mess with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty cool rifle. I'd cut the barrel shorter as well. The stock looks, to me, like a home built/finished piece, looking at the grip section, no checkering anywhere, and the finish. Limbsaver has a ton of pads that you can have fitted that will be a whole bunch more comfortable than that metal plate. Other than that, I wouldn't mess with it. </div></div>

+1!
I agree the rifle looks pretty good as is, and I wouldn't do to much with it, short of different pads on the rear, and maybe cut down the barrel a bit. This is not what I'd call a 'turd' rifle, and your nephew should be GRATEFUL
smile.gif
as heck to have such a fine rifle given to him; I know I sure would be. Good luck and hope all works out with him and his shooting in the future!

OP-Your rifle is a 1965 era Win Mdl 70 Target with the stock shortened 1" which is normal for HP shooting. These rifles have very smooth actions-great rifle for a beginner shooter-The Canjar trigger is a plus-have the throat of barrel checked and headspace and shoot.The barrel end is turned down for a barrel band front sight base-so yes-it is ready to go for use with iron sights also. Put some irons on it-load up some sierra 125,s and let the young fellow wring it out! Very nice rifle! barry

fta-Just looked at one of mine-The rear scope base-have to use a short one-check brownells-That action is clip slotted for reloading in rapid fire stages with five round clips through the slot on rear reciever bridge.The rail on forend uses a hand stop with swivel for sling use. After looking at your pics again-I would not do anything to it at this time-get someone like GAP to check it out-you in MI+ all. The 65 I have is very nice-my son in law shoots it once in awhile-it is still in 30/06. It is a Target gun-not a deer rifle-not a Tac rifle-but a real nice Winchester for target shooting-Any questions please pm me. barry

RJG Enterprises, West Chester, PA
They may have fitted the barrel?? They have been in business for 35 years so it might be the case.

Your nephew is a lucky guy. You and your wife are good people.

A lot of words could be used to describe this rifle, but turd is not one of them.

Please post pictures from the range trip.

Very nice rifle. I wouldnt do a thing to it. Maybe an adjustable recoil pad as others have stated but that's about it.

I'm a sucker for old accurate rifles. I'd put a nice adjustable buttplate on it and leave it as is. I bet with some handloads it'll be quite the shooter. If he wants to paint it, get a different stock for it or sell it to someone who will keep it the way it is to fund a Savage. That's my opinion.

I'm going out on a limb here and am going to guess his current rifle is a Rem 710?

I'll keep it short and to the point: i think you have very inadvertantly run across a real gem. kudos to you on coming here and asking about what you found, so you could get some very knowledgable folks to help you find out what you have.

you did a nice thing helping your friend, and it looks like
Karma, and your friend, rewarded you. and passing it on like you are going to do is pure class. like a gent before me said, would love pics of the first trip to the range once your done setting it up and go to test it.

-Paulus

edited for grammar

Thanks to all for the info.

I'll take a picture of the target I shot with it.

I'm having a pad installed now.

I might run it up to KC and see what they think at GAP about c/c and maybe a brake.

Told him what everybody said about the stock and he is going to leave it alone.

Thanks again.

[url="http://i53.tinypic.com/33ml5op.jpg"]http://i53.tinypic.com/33ml5op.jpg[/url][/IMG

Here is a picture of the target I shot with the Model 70. Like I said, it took about anything I put in it and shot it pretty well I thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icallem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[url="http://i53.tinypic.com/33ml5op.jpg"]http://i53.tinypic.com/33ml5op.jpg[/url][/IMG

Here is a picture of the target I shot with the Model 70. Like I said, it took about anything I put in it and shot it pretty well I thought. </div></div>

Fixed your pic link...here you go:

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/33ml5op.jpg

Well, here it is with new pad on the stock, harris bi-pod and and new barrel lenght of 22 inches.

2h8cv28.jpg

Here is how it shot with all of the new toys.

iep6hz.jpg

I thought this to be very good.

I don't know who is having more fun with this. Having a young person excited about shooting sports is not as common as it should be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paulus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll keep it short and to the point: i think you have very inadvertantly run across a real gem. kudos to you on coming here and asking about what you found, so you could get some very knowledgable folks to help you find out what you have.

you did a nice thing helping your friend, and it looks like
Karma, and your friend, rewarded you. and passing it on like you are going to do is pure class. like a gent before me said, would love pics of the first trip to the range once your done setting it up and go to test it.

-Paulus

edited for grammar
</div></div>

+1 on this. good deeds are their own reward