• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Poll: What reticle & turrets are you using?

Re: Poll: What reticle & turrets are you using?

The best combination is going to be the one you as a shooter are most comfortable with. The one that allows you to acquire your target and quickly adjust the scope to engage. Let's face it, for most people this will be a hunting application not a war time application.

If you are more familiar or comfortable with one over the other than that is the one you should use.

There can be much debate over which is "better" but better usually means "easier to use" and that comes down to practice and comfort level.

This metric vs. imperial thing is so confusing, some of the nuts and bolts on my new Ford are metric, and I haven't been able to change my oil in over 25,000-miles, or was that kilometers? My Cresent wrench says 12". So the other day I went to the hardware store and asked for a metric Cresent wrench, and the guy looked at me kind of funny. He handed me a Cresent wrench that was also marked 12", and said it would work. I just don't trust the guy because he kept laughing at me. I guess I'll have to special order a metric Cresent wrench from Europe. With my luck, it will be put on a slow boat, and it's speed will be measured in Knots ...talk about confusing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is so confusing, some of the nuts and bolts on my new Ford are metric</div></div>

ALL of the nuts and bolts on your new Ford or any vehicle made in the last 10 years for that matter are metric. The only things that aren't are the speedometer and odometer displays (the speedometer and odometer themselves are also metric).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This metric vs. imperial thing is so confusing</div></div>

Nowadays 1 inch is, by definition, 25.4mm.

It used to be a lot worse..

Back in 19th century there was no common definition of an inch. Every country had it's own version of inch. To make things more complicated a few countries and states (i.e. Sweden, Prussia and Bavaria) replaced old fashioned inches with decimal inches (before switching to the metric system). A decimal inch is 1/10 foot instead of 1/12 foot. And there were, of course, no common definition of a decimal inch. (Prussia and Bavaria are German states today. But they didn't have a common definition of an inch or <span style="font-style: italic">zoll</span> back in the day.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess I'll have to special order a metric Cresent wrench from Europe.</div></div>

I just bought "Super-Thin Bits For Narrow, European-Style Slots", from Brownells in the USA, because I couldn't find any suitable bits, in Europe, for my Blaser scope mount. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is so confusing, some of the nuts and bolts on my new Ford are metric</div></div>

ALL of the nuts and bolts on your new Ford or any vehicle made in the last 10 years for that matter are metric. The only things that aren't are the speedometer and odometer displays (the speedometer and odometer themselves are also metric). </div></div>

You guys know that I'm just joking around, right?

FYI, the drain plug on both my Ford's are 1/2", and not metric. Well maybe the threads might be metric, but I need a 1/2" socket to remove the plug.

Mil/Mil is leading in this poll @ 67%.

I was suprised to see Mil/Moa was last, due to the shear # of scopes avaible in that configuration for so long.

I could go to Mil/Mil since the math seems easier, but I prefer MOA/MOA since I've been in carpentry for the last 10 years or so. Working with my dad on many building projects, and now I help build grain bin loading/unloading systems. I've become very good with using fractions and not decimals. I don't shoot under stress unless hunting is that stressful. I probably would switch to Milrad if stress was one part of what I do. It isn't so tough to understand Mils, but since I know MOA already and don't have a reason to change over, so I haven't.

I started precision shooting with an old SS (1/4 MOA turrets, mil-dot reticle). Switched to a mil/mil USO with Mil-MPR reticle. Confusing at first (but not for long). Just completed a 4-day advanced precision course and I can definitely say mil/mil is easier on my brain. Far superior IMHO. And the USO Mil-MPR reticle rocks! (shameless plug for USO)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This metric vs. imperial thing is so confusing, some of the nuts and bolts on my new Ford are metric, and I haven't been able to change my oil in over 25,000-miles, or was that kilometers? My Cresent wrench says 12". So the other day I went to the hardware store and asked for a metric Cresent wrench, and the guy looked at me kind of funny. He handed me a Cresent wrench that was also marked 12", and said it would work. I just don't trust the guy because he kept laughing at me. I guess I'll have to special order a metric Cresent wrench from Europe. With my luck, it will be put on a slow boat, and it's speed will be measured in Knots ...talk about confusing! </div></div>
I'd be more concerned that your not using a socket or fixed spanner to remove a sump bolt but if you still want a metric shifter you will need a 300mm shifter if you want to try europe. Lol