• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Poly vs. Steel mags for AR platform

Broken_Reticle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Philadelphia Tn
First off I did do a forum search and couldn't find a recent post on this subject.

My Wife and my Mom both got Ar's for Christmas and I am looking to get some mags for both of them. I know one lower is a CMMG.

Since these are the first AR's to be owned in the family I am cutting my teeth on these two. What are the real pro's and con's to poly vs steel? Cost? and where is a good place to buy mags and average price?

I love this site. I post and read mostly over in the reloading section.

I appreciate the insight of people who have actually run both types in their guns.

Thanks in Advance,
Broken

Re: Poly vs. Steel mags for AR platform

Steel magazines should be avoided. They are heavy, corrode easily and most are shit anyway. USGI Aluminum are acceptable, if you use them get Magpul followers. PMAGs are the best. Greatest feature of plastic is they are either serviceable or broken, unlike aluminum which weaken and fail but look serviceable.

After having an AUG, I found once you go transluscent, there's no going back. My vote goes to the Lancer L5 smoked transluscent. People can debate all day that PMAGs are better, but they're equal in reliability.

If you're lucky enough, you can get a killer deal from any vendor with remaining stock on the 1st gen (non-AWM) mags. I stocked up when SGC was blowing them out at $3.60 each.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MagPul PMags and don't look back... can get them from any decent vendor... pick one that supports the hide</div></div>

^^^ This right here. Someone even had 10 of them for sale for a total price of $130.

My vote goes to PMAG's as well. I do have a bunch of USGI aluminum mags, and they're okay for the range where reliability is less of an issue for me. I've found that keeping the USGI's loaded 24x7 has had intermittent results in terms of functionality after a period of time. My experience with leaving PMAG's fully loaded 24x7 is all good without a single FTF or FTE.

I also am a fan of the PMAG. While I have quite a few USGI mags, and they work fine, they do scratch up the mag well. The PMAGs don't scratch nearly as bad. I also am a big fan of the mag cap that keeps pressure off of the feed lips while in storage. You can fill them up and leave them sit without worrying about wearing out the mag. Search for a best price.

I have a boatload of USGI mags, but I've been moving to primarily PMAG over the past few years. I love the PMAG, good quality product.

I prefer USGI Al mags with Magpul followers and floor plates.
Steel mags are too heavy and the quality ones are too expensive.
I'm not a fan of PMags either though.
The plastic feed lips have not held up as well as the USGI ones for me.

Ask Steve from Trident Tactical about PMags.
He is an RO for a PD that ran PMags on their training range.
They did not wear well it that environment.

For 30 rounders I would go with P mags, but for 20 rounders I can not recomend Magpul. I got a few of the 20's and had nothing but problems, also a quick google search will show the 20's seem to have a few problems. They might have fixed the problems with the newer versions, but I have not tested anymore. YMMV

Like most other core AR guys, Ive bought, tried, or used every "newest thing" out there including mags from pmags to HK Steel.. HK steel are about as good as it gets metal wise in mags, and cost it too at about 35$ a piece.. and I STILL find my way back to PMAGS everytime..

Thanks guys. So I am gathering so far to go with the Pmags, and get the caps to help keep the pressure off the lips of the mag while in storage.

I doubt my mom and wife are going to work these mags like leo would at a shooting range. Prob about 4 or 5 reloads a month when we have family range day down on the farm.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Broken

Steel have proven themselve's in some extreme conditons, but will bend if dropped on a hard surface. A bent mag will malfunction. I purchased a batch of MagPul mags for our department, so far they have worked well. I opted to use the steel, having done so for years. The plastic mags use different couplers than the steel and don't know if keeping them loaded in extreme heat will cause them to swell or not. Price wise they are comparable.

There is a whole thread on mags on m4 carbine and the move back to GI mags with updated followers. I have both pmags and USGI mags, My go to mags are the Brownells with updated springs and followers. I have had issues with the magpul not dropping free.

Pmags for sure. Always have held up for me.

Would be a cold day in hell before my wife knows the difference between a Pmags and steel mag. It would be awesome to be able to blame ar accessory purchases on her though.
grin.gif

@ Elnino31
We live on a 50 acre farm with a wild dog problem, so I want a weapon system she can know inside and out. That way if dogs come by she can be confident to go out, setup her bipod on the backporch table, and send some dogs to doggie heaven.

Also we live in an area bad for meth production. So her rifle is outfitted with a pressure switch operated Surefire mounted on her quadrail with the switch on the foregrip.

Here is a pic.
[img:left]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mwpfKSJaGXFZs8c3iUT--T7rtt8FwLkvgVnTct-_Jho?feat=directlink[/img]

I have been shooting the AR for over 25 years and did not like the Pmags at first. Very reluctant to change. About 2 years ago, something clicked and I gave them a second chance. Now I won't use anything but Pmags. They are also very plentiful and priced right.

Don't even want to use the steel mags any more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steel magazines should be avoided. They are heavy, corrode easily and most are shit anyway. USGI Aluminum are acceptable, if you use them get Magpul followers. PMAGs are the best. Greatest feature of plastic is they are either serviceable or broken, unlike aluminum which weaken and fail but look serviceable. </div></div>

What he said....

HK steel mags are high quality, but heavy.

PMags are hard to beat.

Sounds like you've got plenty of room for good shooting. Nice!

Wild dogs are definitely bad news. At one point, I worked in the field as a utility worker. Spent a lot of time in the inner city and occasionally would run into small packs of abandoned dogs. They can get aggressive when you're alone.

Nice rig, those surefires are bright huh.

Both.

I cant bag on my P-mags as none have failed me. I had a few Thermold's split at the weld seam on the back side. It was really cold weather but the mags worked. It was just hard to insert into the gun and remove becasue they were expanding at the weld crack.

I have P-Mags, GI contract aluminum and a couple steel mags as well. It's nice to have extra's to cover any occasion or weather.