• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Polygonal barrel?

Blutroop

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2018
    Alaska
    Was looking for a ar barrel in 17rem for a decent price and found Columbia arms. They do polygonal barrels. That got me to thinking.. does anyone have any experience with polygonal rifling? Like it? Hate it? Read up on it? Or experience with Columbia arms? Their prices seem good for a not common caliber in a Ar barrel. If I remember correctly glocks use polygonal rifling.

Didn't the older S&W M&P15s use polygonal barrels? No experience with them, but might be a starting point for finding basic info on the barrels rifled that way.

Found this old thread by searching.
    I´m infront of a barrel swap and am limited to only a few barrelmakers in my country.

One of them is Lothar Walther and you can have normal or polygonal barrels from them.
    I had two of his polygonal barrels in pistols and they were shooting much better than me.
    But with rifles it is a different thing I guess, much higher pressures and velocities.

Are there any further informations or a comparison between those two profiles in rifles?

I've got three of them. A 223 Wylde, a 6x6.8, and a 308.

The 223 and 6x6.8 shoot incredibly well, and are easy to clean.

I haven't shot the 308 yet.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.

Contact Ritch at Ritch's Precision Guns. He's extremely helpful and can get you a good price on your barrel.

Columbia River Arms used to be Black Hole Weaponry, so you'll probably have better luck searching for that instead for more reviews.

Reactions: Jayjay1
    Every barrel is a polygon so you could call any barrel a polygon and not be lying BUT HK, Glock and Lothar Walthar are true polygonal barrels. Some are female type and some are male type. Some barrels called polygonal are really more like a 5R sloped land kind of rifling(Noveske). From what I have seen of the BHW/Columbia barrels the lands are shaped like triangles very pointy and not very wide.

No, it is not.
    Polygon means multiple corners.
    A polygonal barrel has no lands or grooves, it just has corners, its profile is a hexagon (most of them) or an octagon, etc.
    Just sometimes, what I know, the corners are rounded.

This photo courtesy of BHW.
    532eb0975a599f29dbb9c75228f336ed.jpg

They put out that photo but looking down the BHW polygonal barrels I can't tell they are not conventional rifling. The BHW barrels look like every other barrel I have ever shined a light down.

Sorry, but I had several and still have one polygonal pistol barrel.
    All of them made hexagonal holes in the paper.

Maybe your eyes, but you have to adjust your knowledge in this one.
    Polygon barrels have a polygonal profile, maybe with rounded edges, but still polygonal.

No, it is not.
    Polygon means multiple corners.
    A polygonal barrel has no lands or grooves, it just has corners, its profile is a hexagon (most of them) or an octagon, etc.
    Just sometimes, what I know, the corners are rounded.
    Polygon
    Polygon
    In geometry, a polygon (/ˈpɒlɪɡɒn/) is a plane figure that is described by a finite number of straight line segments connected to form a closed polygonal chain or polygonal circuit. The solid plane region, the bounding circuit, or the two together, may be called a polygon.