• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Polymer lowers for AR

Kclaypool

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2020
Ohio
I was thinking of ordering an 80% lower that is a polymer to reduce the weight of the rifle. How do they compare to an aluminum version?

You should do some more research. There is primarily one company that is working with Ian from forgotten weapons to make the " what would stoner do" rifle.

Most companies that made a polymer lower, made it in the same footprint that a aluminum lower takes up.

When using a weaker material you cannot use the same design. Sure you could buy some random poly lower and it might work, might last awhile. But I wouldn't count on it lasting.

Just buy aluminum.

Or look up the WWSD rifle. I believe they are available from Brownells. Most likely they are all sold out.

A quick search brings up some reading material.

The ONLY poly lowers worth having are the old CavArms Cav-15, and the new KE Arms KP-15 mentioned above that’s being used in the WWSD2020. Literally all other poly lowers are junk. Unless you hate money and enjoy range trips, hunting trips, and competitions being ruined when your receiver extension snaps off, don’t buy anything else.

I've used Tennessee Arms for years for competitions. No issus. They are beefier than aluminum and have brass inserts for the receiver extension, grip screw, etc.
I can see how all plastic ones would be weaker in those areas, but no issues so far with the TN Arms.

I've used Tennessee Arms for years for competitions. No issus. They are beefier than aluminum and have brass inserts for the receiver extension, grip screw, etc.
I can see how all plastic ones would be weaker in those areas, but no issues so far with the TN Arms.
I’ve also had very positive experience with Tennessee Arms poly lower- got it very cheap at instructors conference the newer one sorta “Gen2” been running it on a tractor/ farm work type rifle, swapped back and forth with 5.56/300 uppers. This is its second MI winter; it’s zero today- spends most of its life outside and several hundred rounds later and some bouncing and abuse it’s still in one piece and working. Another lower made of aluminum is on standby if this one gives up and it’s not my Man the Trenches front line battle rifle but I was curious so I tried one and don’t have any complaints. It is of course lighter than Aluminum but not by much maybe oz or 2 or 3 but there would be other ways to cut weight.
there does seem to be a lot of poly lower haters out there , your mileage may vary but I’d buy another one or two if I could find them in stock for the same “show special “ price I got 2 years ago.

I have one on a 22LR dedicated gun so I couldn’t tell you if it would take any abuse besides that. I just wanted light weight since it was a 22. So far it has ran good on that setup.

Running a poly lower based on a p80 has its purposes for the obvious.

Running a poly lower for the sake of running a poly lower is retardation. Weight is negligible and drawbacks are massive.

I have a new frontier polymer I bought Along time ago from joe bob outfitters because it was super cheap and I’ve had 0 problems and it actually is a really accurate rifle

The new KE Arms ones, mentioned earlier, are pretty cool if you like Magpul grips and are willing to accept a fixed stock. The compatibility restraints seem a bit annoying though, Triggertech and CMC won't fit in the receiver without modification and if you want Geissele or LaRue with ambi safety, you then need KE Arms' own safety to enable full disassembly. Per KE Arms website.

Kinda want to try the KE lower just to see if it works, but you couldn't give me a fixed A2 stock lower with a fixed Glock-esque grip molded onto it.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I would have said "FUCK NO" but now with the SCAR shit and all the B&T shit being plastic (and same size as aluminum) it's kinda hard to say now.

That said, it better be made of the kind of plastic these two companies are using, it's not the same as regular plastic. Hard and dense almost like metal.

New Frontier lower with A1 upper receiver, pencil thin 16" barrel, A1 butt stock. Weighs less than 5lbs.

I have a Tegra lower that was given to me and I must say SO FAR it isn't bad, still a little tight even after a couple of years. Peace geek has them for sale right now for $35.

For $120 you can get a aero lower and not worry about a thing.

I bought my New Frontiers for $17 each. My uppers from a Shotgun News vendor $70 each. My bcg (colt) for $40 each. My FCGs for $25 each. My A1 butt stocks for $50 for all 3. No free floating, no match grade anything. Just fun trunk style/range runner rifles.

These cheap ARs are some of the best running rifles around. Great range guns.

But this was some time ago, in a far away galaxy.

• Haha
Reactions: aw0l
I have the KE lower. Finally got it after what felt like a 10 year long pre-order. I've been to the range with it once so obviously no durability reporting but it seems well made. It is very light, mostly due to it being all one piece and there's not even a proper buffer tube. The buffer rides on plastic ribs inside the stock. I'm happy with it. No way I'd consider one of the mil-spec copy polymer lowers.

I have the KE lower. Finally got it after what felt like a 10 year long pre-order. I've been to the range with it once so obviously no durability reporting but it seems well made. It is very light, mostly due to it being all one piece and there's not even a proper buffer tube. The buffer rides on plastic ribs inside the stock. I'm happy with it. No way I'd consider one of the mil-spec copy polymer lowers.
Don’t see a whole lot of advantages of an 80% polymer lower vs aluminum. Yes a few ounces can be shaved but at the cost of durability.

OFG

IDK i just bought 5 aero gen 2s for $60 and 5 M4E1 lowers for $80.

There is zero reason to fuck with a polymer lower. There are no benefits and the drawbacks are significant.