• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Poor accuracy with better quality brass

Ryguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2013
Las Vegas
Hello everyone. I am loading for a 6mm Creedmoor with H4350/108 ELD. I found necked down and turned Norma and Lapua brass to produce poor accuracy at every charge weight and seating depth. Hornady 6mm brass shot excellent without any prep at all but case life is terrible thus, the desire to switch. Any ideas?

With Norma and Lapua brass I turned to .005 neck clearance and tried every charge weight, seating depth, and neck bushing with very poor results.

I am wondering if the thicker brass reduced case and chamber dimensions enough to require a slower powder. I don't have any H4831 and am wondering if that would be worth trying. Thanks for the input.

Ryan.

How does felt neck tension when seating a bullet seem? Wondering if you turned too much off. Theoretically, going off case volumes, a guy should almost be able to duplicate the old load in Quickload, with pressures, barrel time etc..
Have to say, sometimes switching midstream not always best, I did the same with a 6slr earlier this spring, Win to Rem brass, took 300 shots to sink in, but was tough because to 500 yards I think the rem brass outshot the win, it was at 700 yards things started to go south big time.
Give me your oal tip to base, case capacities from 3 fired cases of each used in water weight, and barrel length, plus original powder charge. 108 eld not in my program, but will substitute it with a 107 sierra.

Also, don't get upset, it's not the brass, it's your reluctance to start from scratch, you have a standard you're going off but you've just changed 45% of your load with a component change. The bullet would be another 45% and primer 10%. Sometimes you just have to forget what worked and build from the ground up providing you have some barrel life left.