• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Popular choices for PRS matches?

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
What are some of the most popular choices or most used scope brand and type for PRS matches being used today?

In brief: basically any $2k+ 5ish power scope on the low end, 25-35x on the high. See the article below:

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/ (note this is from 2014, and the PRS scope world has changed significantly since then)

The Burris XTR II and Bushnell DMR/LRTS scopes are also noteworthy here, in the sub-$2k category.

Highly recommend you check out the site above, it holds a wealth of information on the PRS discipline.

I see a lot of Razor Gen2s, some Nightforce, Athlon, other odds and ends.

From most expensive to least expensive common choices:
Tangent Theta 5-25x56 Gen 3XR reticle = $4,500
Zero Compromise 5-27x56 MPCT2 Reticle = $3,600
Nightforce ATACR F1 7-35x56 Mil-XT or Mil-C reticle = $3,200
Kahles 5-25x56 SKMR3 = 3,200?
Vortex RZR Gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR7C reticle = $1,800

ZCO has been getting more and more popular. There are a lot of shooters all across the country now using our products with excellent results. We are very happy to be at this level of the rifle scope industry.

Yeah, y'all make an amazing scope. I'm saving up for one as much as I can. 😅

According to the PRS website here all the 10 most popular scopes:
  1. Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 (308 shooters)
  2. Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1 (152 shooters)
  3. Kahles K525i 5-25x56 (81 shooters)
  4. Kahles K624i 6-24x56 (58 shooters)
  5. Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 (56 shooters)
  6. Tangent Theta TT525P 5-25x56 (55 shooters)
  7. Leupold Mark 5 HD 5-25x56 (50 shooters)
  8. Bushnell Elite Tactical XRSII 4.5-30x50 (49 shooters)
  9. Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 (44 shooters)
  10. Zero Compromise [unlisted magnification] (43 shooters)

This article shows a survey of the top competitors in 2018 with breakdowns of where they finished in addition to a comparison of most popular reticles.

Reactions: Joe Hendricks
According to the PRS website here all the 10 most popular scopes:
  1. Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 (308 shooters)
  2. Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1 (152 shooters)
  3. Kahles K525i 5-25x56 (81 shooters)
  4. Kahles K624i 6-24x56 (58 shooters)
  5. Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 (56 shooters)
  6. Tangent Theta TT525P 5-25x56 (55 shooters)
  7. Leupold Mark 5 HD 5-25x56 (50 shooters)
  8. Bushnell Elite Tactical XRSII 4.5-30x50 (49 shooters)
  9. Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 (44 shooters)
  10. Zero Compromise [unlisted magnification] (43 shooters)

This article shows a survey of the top competitors in 2018 with breakdowns of where they finished in addition to a comparison of most popular reticles.

Will be interesting to see this year's breakdown. Couple years ago, seemed like you'd only see a handful of Tangents at a match.. "wow, there's a guy in my squad with a TT"
Fast forward to today, you feel like the poor guy in your squad who ISN'T running a TT.. haha

That list is this year's breakdown from the PRS site of all the PRS shooters. "What the pros use" is a year or so back though.

Will be interesting to see this year's breakdown. Couple years ago, seemed like you'd only see a handful of Tangents at a match.. "wow, there's a guy in my squad with a TT"
Fast forward to today, you feel like the poor guy in your squad who ISN'T running a TT.. haha
Funny enough I actually just ordered a TT earlier this week.

I think it's a matter of PRS having existed for long enough that people could try it, get hooked, and then have time to save and progressively upgrade pieces of their gear. I started shooting matches almost 4 years ago now with a Savage, and slowly upgraded pieces until I ended up with custom-built match rifle. I did the same with scopes, starting with a cheap Athlon, then buying an Ares ETR, then eventually splurging on a S&B two years ago.

Earlier on only people who had a TT before PRS or people who were very wealthy were using them. Now that it's had time to grow and become more popular some of the people who started off with less expensive gear have had time to slowly upgrade, some of them to a TT. Zero Compromise I think really found a winning combination with their quality and the price point to match a new S&B or NF, because it makes it a much more attractive offering for people making their first upgrade to a "top-tier" scope. I haven't seen anyone go out and buy a TT as their first "top-tier" scope, everyone I know who uses or has used one started with a Schmidt or Nightforce before saving for a while and upgrading afterwards.

Reactions: gebhardt02