• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Portable hand saw

jff_stvns

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Seen a guy on YouTube building a small log cabin with one of these, from what I seen it do I had to have one.
For $ 80.00 it’s a lot of bang for the buck, this thing is beyond impressive.

1664318201742.jpeg

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I have the exact same one. I've been running Silky saws for a while. LOVE them. Have the PocketBoy model all the way up to the Katanaboy. Bigboy and Gomboy are my most used models. I used to do all my camping wood prep with a Busse ASH 2 knife or an Gransfors axe but realized one winter camping trip the handsaw was the way to go. Been using it as my primary wood processing tool since.

Edit: add pic and note that the smaller ones are in different camping/bugout bags in my house/truck. :)

IMG_4661.jpg

Last edited:
I have several and would recommend looking at the similar-styled Swiss Bahco Laplander 2 folding saw. Light and super-sharp.

Bahco Laplander.png
Bahco saw.jpg

Yea, I cannot believe how this rips threw wood, it’s insane. I Love Busse knives as well but as far as sawing threw logs this is the ticket for sure.

Silky makes the best saws like that in my opinion. I help run a tree service, and thats what all of our trucks have and our climbers use Silky.

You should check out the Silky Zubat professional line. A 330mm model in 7.5tpi will hog through some serious wood. The slightly curved blade with a fixed handle provides a lot better cutting power than the foldable ones and is only a few inches longer. I prefer those.

Reactions: jff_stvns
Don't have one, but only hear good things about them

I've always (well not always, maybe last 6-8 years) used a milwaukee cordless sawzall with a carbide tipped 6 or 8 tooth per inch 12 inch blade.
I also have the one handed "hackzall" from Milwaukee.
With the carbide tipped pruning blades they will destroy desert iron wood that you find in Arizona.
I spent a whole winter in Az warmed by mesquite and iron wood, all of it cut by my sawzalls.
Call me lazy, I have some bitchen axes and hand saws....but if I don't have to sweat for it I ain't gonna :)
BTW, I do have some chainsaws too, but noise and gas/oil just make it easier to grab a cordless.

:)

I've always (well not always, maybe last 6-8 years) used a milwaukee cordless sawzall with a carbide tipped 6 or 8 tooth per inch 12 inch blade.
I also have the one handed "hackzall" from Milwaukee.
With the carbide tipped pruning blades they will destroy desert iron wood that you find in Arizona.
I spent a whole winter in Az warmed by mesquite and iron wood, all of it cut by my sawzalls.
Call me lazy, I have some bitchen axes and hand saws....but if I don't have to sweat for it I ain't gonna :)
BTW, I do have some chainsaws too, but noise and gas/oil just make it easier to grab a cordless.

:)
I can't lie even some of the new electric chainsaws are pretty cool.

If seen people modify silky blades to fit in sawsalls, they just traced, cut, filed the end to match a store bought blade.

A few years ago, I started carrying one of the Silky Pocket Boys in my biking Camelbak to clear fallen trees from trails. Since then, our camping gear includes a couple other sizes. It's a damn fine tool for the money.

I started watching Alone over the summer and looked into gear lists of the contestants over the nine seasons. I figured that you’d have to bring some pretty decent gear or you’d be pretty SOL the duration of your stay on the show. There was some interesting gear choices but the Silky saws were nearly chosen by the majority of contestants. Maybe a few picked something decent.

As for the Bahco Laplanders, if you do some shopping you can find them with a knife that is incredibly similar (if not the same) as a mora companion for less than most places sell the saw and I’ve seen fairly good reviews for being such an inexpensive knife.

My silky gomboy was awesome for cutting trails in the alders hunting Alaska. Pretty impressive speed cutting. Also use it to get firewood for my tipi tent titanium stove set up. I’m a fan.