• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible overpressure issue on 5.56 AR question

Serpico1985

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2008
Charlotte NC
Group,

This is an area I know hardly anything about so I figured I'd ask. I was hoping to get some info on if there is a possible over-pressure issue on a buddies AR.

Rifle: Completely factory Geissele rifle with a 16" barrel
Ammo: Federal 5.56 55 Grain OTM Reduced Lead Training Ammo

Am I seeing ejector wipe here? It is quite hard to photograph but I can see striations where the brass looks to have been scraped off so to speak.

At the 11-12 o'clock on the base:
IMG_1505.jpg

Thanks for any info.

It looks fine, I’ve seen much worse. The primer looks flat, and doesn’t show any damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfoosh006
Plenty of radius left on the edge of that primer. Maybe just like @TonyTheTiger said with soft brass, or could be new gun parts being stiff. Run it hard for a few hundred rounds and see what happens.
362EC2FA-19C3-4822-B274-BA19BF6DECCF.jpeg

5.56 is loaded hot already. That's totally normal. Been a while since I have shot Mil Spec 556 ammo but I do remember most of them having flattened primers and ejector marks.

Reactions: BCP
Typical of 556 guns that are made to shoot anything it is ask to shoot dependably.
That's the problem these days. The buyers want their AR to shoot with everything from shitty steel cased ammo to premium 5.56. The only way to do that is to open up the gas ports so the weak stuff will run.

Reactions: Evolution 9
That's the problem these days. The buyers want their AR to shoot with everything from shitty steel cased ammo to premium 5.56. The only way to do that is to open up the gas ports so the weak stuff will run.
Yep... If the users well being is at stake it has to run on anything.