• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible to have a do all? Hunting and Comp?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
Hey guys I've got parts for two rifle running out my ears and now I'm kind of swaying towards selling parts to one and getting the other one done. One is a Surgeon RSR WSM for 7mm SAUM and the other is a 591 for a 260. Got almost all the parts for the 260, but had a new baby and haven't gotten it done.

Is it possible to build the 7mm saum up on a #5 barrel, McM A3 Stock, etc and it be a "do all" gun? The other parts is a bartlein 6.5mm barrel, 591, A5 with loggerhead, etc....

What do you think?

Re: Possible to have a do all? Hunting and Comp?

I think the 7 would be a geat do all gun. You would probably be happier at the end of a long match with at least a palma contour barrel, though.

Wade

I am a huge 7mm fan.

The .260 will most likely do everything you want, including taking Elk with less recoil, less muzzle blast and much longer barrel life.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone else?

As far as stocks go isn't the a5 just too bulky?

to bulky for what ?

I pack 17 lb rifle with A5 for bear... 12 lb with A5 for deer and goats...

depends what YOU want to carry and are comfortable with. Everyone is different. I personally like a heavier rifle
smile.gif

Sendero what calibers?

Build a 284 Win and be done w/it. With a palma contour and an A5 stock you can build one and it will weigh 12-14 lbs. Is that too heavy? That depends on you but I don't think so. I like a heavy gun. I would rather have a 15# gun that I am confident in taking long shots w/than a 7# gun I could only shoot 3-400 yds with. Just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3rdgss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Build a 284 Win and be done w/it. With a palma contour and an A5 stock you can build one and it will weigh 12-14 lbs. Is that too heavy? That depends on you but I don't think so. I like a heavy gun. I would rather have a 15# gun that I am confident in taking long shots w/than a 7# gun I could only shoot 3-400 yds with. Just my opinion. </div></div>

I am just starting a 284 build for mostly hunting/some long range. 7# is too light IMHO. 9-11 just about right... 15# would be too heavy..

YMMV

Mine would be a Surgeon 591 or Bighorn in .260
Bartlein or Krieger Heavy/Medium varmint at 21"
I know its a little short for a .260 but you can run a lighter hunting load like the TSX to bring velocity back up (or Hornady Superformance load) and the ballistics of the .260 is still great for comps even out of a 21" barrel.

It would sit in a A1-3 with a Premier Light Tactical riding it.

This is MY do it all. I gathered this information from what I have learned on this site so it's not a proven combo but in theory it seems like it would be a great do it all package.

I just finished having what i call an "all rounder" built,it's a 6.5-284 on a Lawton long action,Rock med palma fluted @29",Mcmillan A5 edge stock and BO dbm it weighs right on 11 lbs less scope,i could have gone a little shorter on the barrel but the trade of is it gives me a chance to set back for a little extra barrel life.In hindsight i should have gone for the straight 284win,live and learn they say!

KPK
I'm in the process of building my 'all-round' bolt gun.

Where I ended up at after many years shooting the gamut from heavy [14-15#] target stuff to lightweight [5.5 # titanium] hunters.....

Surgeon
260 Obermeyer in Rem Varm contour [thought about med Palma]
20" or 22"...still deciding...heavy leaning to 20"
McM A3
YHM Titanium Phantom suppressor
Leup 3.5-10 genII mildot

should go around 10-11 w/suppressor

Been shooting a savage in 260 at about that same weight package to prove the concept before I committed to doing up the Surgeon...works for me for a do-all

FWIW
YMMV

wes in AZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KPK
...Where I ended up at after many years shooting the gamut from heavy [14-15#] target stuff to lightweight [5.5 # titanium] hunters.....

Surgeon

</div></div>

So was your trade off barrel length for lighter weight? RV contour at 20" vs say a 5.5 contour at 26"? I would assume the 260 would like the 26" length barrel?

SG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Overflow10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KPK
...Where I ended up at after many years shooting the gamut from heavy [14-15#] target stuff to lightweight [5.5 # titanium] hunters.....

Surgeon

</div></div>

So was your trade off barrel length for lighter weight? RV contour at 20" vs say a 5.5 contour at 26"? I would assume the 260 would like the 26" length barrel?

SG </div></div>

Yep , for weight. Trying to get that LTR feel, and with running the suppressor on it most of the time that puts it at an effective 28" length.

Also .... short 260's will get it done !
I don't want to start another 'short vs. long' barrel debate as this is not what the OP was about , but check out the thread/videos on Lowlight's 18.5" 260.

Besides...I already have a long 260 ! he-he

YMMV
wes

was it cold that day bolt?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was it cold that day bolt?
wink.gif
</div></div>

frozen fog in the am, dictates putting on every thing i brought, totaled six layers

the .300wm could have been jocked up with a shark,,,,,but it would not have been kosher for the white tails

My "do-it-all" rifle. Beanland built 18.5 inch 6.5x47 Lapua. Just under 12 pounds fully equipped as you see it.

-McMillan A1-3 Stock in "Edge" Construction 2 flushcups and a bipod stud painted Flat Dark Earth
-Surgeon DBM Bottom Metal
-Surgeon 591 Action
-Small-firing-pin-hole Surgeon Bolt w/FP turned down to match
-Shilen Trigger at 2.5 pounds
-18.5 inch Lilja 3 groove 8 twist
-Sendero/Varmint Contour Fluted and threaded for my Omega
-Viper PST 4x16x50 FFP MOA
-Coated in Coyote Tan CeraKote
Beanland_6_5X47_002_crop.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scoop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My "do-it-all" rifle. ........
-McMillan A1-3 Stock in "Edge" Construction 2 flushcups and a bipod stud painted Flat Dark Earth....
[/img] </div></div>

Nice rig. I really like the A1-3 stocks. How is the balance with the Edge layup?

SG

Nice photo. Where on the Caprock? My horse pasture looked that way for most of December and January, and now it is hot, dusty and very, very dry.

What does "do it all" include, you are in OK so whitetails and hogs are on the menu and blackbear in SE OK. The heavy 7's will do the trick for all of the above and buck that gawdawful wind you people get in the OKC area, a windgust almost blew my car off the road on I-40 a few years ago.

I'd go with the 6.5 myself and have two stocks for it. Heavy one for target shooting and light for hunting.

Thanks for all the info gentlemen, very informative!

I've decided to stick with building the 7mm SAUM on the RSR WSM action. This rifle will be (hopefully) around 10-11 lbs with the fluted #5 barrel. It'll be nice to have it mid weight so I can take it to CO with me and not have to carry around a 15lb'r. The A3 will have the loggerhead hardware, which will make it weigh more, but oh well, it works good.

Now for the custom I'm going with the one above...........but I'm going to keep the 6.5 barrel and have it stuck on an SPS action I have in the safe and stick it in an AICS stock. This should be a good/fun shooter as well!

TrainingWheels - I agree the 7 should do well out here...bad thing about Western Oklahoma is that the wind is usually 10-20mph stronger here than in OKC...seems about 10 degrees hotter to...................sux!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....I've decided to stick with building the 7mm SAUM on the RSR WSM action. This rifle will be (hopefully) around 10-11 lbs with the fluted #5 barrel....</div></div>

KPK - did you see this post not too long ago by Skyking?????

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2576888

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Overflow10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scoop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My "do-it-all" rifle. ........
-McMillan A1-3 Stock in "Edge" Construction 2 flushcups and a bipod stud painted Flat Dark Earth....
[/img] </div></div>

Nice rig. I really like the A1-3 stocks. How is the balance with the Edge layup?

SG </div></div>

Thanks Of10. The balance point w/o the suppressor is at the front action screw. It handles really well offhand. Pretty quick to the shoulder too. As you would expect, with the suppressor, it is slightly front-heavy. Not as bad as you might imagine though. Easily useable offhand with the can attached. BTW, that stock weighs just 24 ounces. Absolutely love the A1-3 for a do-all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scoop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
just 24 ounces. </div></div>

Wow that makes me want to reconsider a Manners in 90% carbon. I wonder what an HTG in edge would come out too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scoop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
just 24 ounces. </div></div>

........ I wonder what an HTG in edge would come out too?

</div></div>

I talked to McMillan about this already. The difference between the HTG/A1-3/Varmint stocks using Edge was +/- an oz or two....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Mule</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice photo. Where on the Caprock? My horse pasture looked that way for most of December and January, and now it is hot, dusty and very, very dry.</div></div>

this was near Paducah on about a 26,000 acre lease,,,,,