• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post 64 Winchester Model 70 Question

ericboj

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Venus, PA
I am not sure where to post this so I'll put it here. Moderators feel free to move this to the appropriate forum.

I am cleaning up a post 64 Winchester Model 70 308 (actual date manufacture is 1965) for a friend to sell. The rifle is rough on the outside but the bore and chamber are very good and the barrel looks to be a heavy sporter. I would like to know if this is a good platform for a long range rifle? I have always wanted a 30 caliber long range rifle. If I bought this from my friend it will serve dual purpose as a hunting rifle and long range shooting. I thank everyone for there time and opinion on this. Here is a picture of the rifle in question.

WinchesterModel70308.jpg

Re: Post 64 Winchester Model 70 Question

I think you'd be better off with a brand new Savage.

If you want to put a little work into the rifle it would certainly be suitable for the purpose.

Welcome to the hide. You may want to ask this in the Bolt Action Rifle section up toward the top.

You could EASILY take the action out... have it refinished and parts replaced pretty cheap...

Then... re-barrell it and re-stock it... your good to go with a NEW rifle...

Matt.

what is he selling it for? That would be helpful to determine an answer.

You may need a little of this...

turdpolishSM.png

Unless it is cheap as dirt, buy something else. If you are just going to use the action, pick up an FN SPR from CDNN for $400.

Thanks guys! I know what I am going to do now. I can wait till another 308 comes my way.