• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post your funniest range story...

Many years ago I was living in an apartment in a old farm house surrounded by pastures and forest. A guy I was working with bought a H&R single shot 12 gauge shotgun. I beieve it weighed less than five pounds and was full choke. He did not have anywhere to shoot so I invited him to my place. With my girlfriend we walked thru the woods to a secluded cornfield that had been recently harvested. On the way we found a pile of empty cans and put them on the stalks and started blasting away. My girlfriend who never had fired a gun in her life thought it looked like fun and wanted to try it. I showed her how to hold it and stressed that she should pull the butt hard into her shoulder as it kicked like a mule. We put a can on a stalk about ten yards away, loaded and cocked the hammer before handing the gun to her. Made sure she was reasonably lined up with the target and told her to pull the trigger. Just as she pulled the trigger she straighten her arms pulling the butt about four to five inches off her shoulder. One of the nastiest bruises I have every seen and a busted nose to boot. The rest of my weekend did not go well either.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Not a funny story...but I was doing construction on 2 indoor firing ranges and 4 shoot houses for the FBI, the morning 9/11 occurred. I told my boss that the U.S. is going to wage war over the incidents. That's when the FBI & Marine base really started coming to life with activity --- Like low level F15 bombing runs, Marines parachuting from Chinook helicopters and extensive machine gun, pistol an rifle fire coming from the existing FBI firing range.

Yeah, that prevented me from being able to use range four to the point that I gave up trying to get down there.

...and the SS doesn’t seem to want to share the 1000 yard lanes at Ft. Meade.

I pulled up to the range I belong to and there was a car parked in front of the gate and the guy was out reading the sign. The gate was locked with a padlock and the members knew the combination. This fellow apparently wasn't a member.

I parked beside him and got out and he asked if the range was open to the public. I explained it was open to members but membership was open to the public.

He introduced himself as a state trooper, so given he just passed a little background check, I invited him to shoot that day as my guest. He was sighting in his deer rifle for hunting season.

I had brought another friend who is the best natural marksman I've met. He was there to check zero on his rifle, his father-in-law's rifle, his grandfather-in-law's rifle and his uncle-in-law's rifle.

I was there to check zero and see where my fouler goes from a cold clean bore of my R700 .30-06 zeroed at 300 yards.

My buddy checks his zero. One shot. Then does the same three more times. I fire my fouler. Five inches low at 300, a group of three in the ten ring. Trooper has missed paper at 100 and 50 yards, and has brought the target back to 25 yards. Newly mounted scope, been there, no shame in that. Once on paper, he puts it back out at 100 for a group. His group is about 8"! I come back with my target. He sees our targets and decides he's ready for deer season, thanks me and gracefully excuses himself.

This range in entirely surrounded by No Trespassing signs warning of an active firing range. Another time on the 500 we were flabbergasted to see three or four of the Pumpkin Army's finest walk right across a hot range to get to their favorite poaching spot. To bad Mr. Trooper hadn't picked that day.

Re: LEOs and the range...

I belong to an IWLA club and range. Our top illegal trespassers are LEOs.

They will even go so far as to pack and walk to the range from a main county road, as they know there is a locked gate.

We actually had to install cameras to watch the property.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erno86
SO, a guy I hadn't seen before shows up on the 100 yard rifle range one day. He sets up some pretty elaborate rest/bag setup and nestles a really nice looking BR rifle into the setup. Guy fires a few rounds and I had already gone about my routine and I hear him request a cold range. I clear my chamber, remove my bolt and install a chamber flag before giving him the range cold command. He proceeds down range about 20 feet, turns back toward is rifle, leans forward with hands on knees and starts looking back at his rifle. Okay, so now I'm curious but try to mind my on biz. Guy comes down to me and says "I think there is something wrong with my scope. My bullets appear to be hitting sideways. Would you mind taking a look?" Sure enough, I take one peak thru the scope and see several full profile holes on his target. I ask what caliber and he answers 6BR and with a rather proud tone says "It was built by ______ _______." I ask what bullet and he says 107 SMK. Okay, so what twist is the barrel. I get a blank stare. SO, again I ask for twist. He says "WTF is that?" I say "you should call the gunsmith" go back to doing my thing.
I saw this guy over the next five years or so at several matches. He almost never failed to have a ND. One time he showed up with 50 rounds of reloads only to have them not fire. When he asked me to check them out I could see that the bullet had moved ever so slightly forward from the force of the primer. Yup, fifty rounds with no powder.

SO, a guy I hadn't seen before shows up on the 100 yard rifle range one day. He sets up some pretty elaborate rest/bag setup and nestles a really nice looking BR rifle into the setup. Guy fires a few rounds and I had already gone about my routine and I hear him request a cold range. I clear my chamber, remove my bolt and install a chamber flag before giving him the range cold command. He proceeds down range about 20 feet, turns back toward is rifle, leans forward with hands on knees and starts looking back at his rifle. Okay, so now I'm curious but try to mind my on biz. Guy comes down to me and says "I think there is something wrong with my scope. My bullets appear to be hitting sideways. Would you mind taking a look?" Sure enough, I take one peak thru the scope and see several full profile holes on his target. I ask what caliber and he answers 6BR and with a rather proud tone says "It was built by ______ _______." I ask what bullet and he says 107 SMK. Okay, so what twist is the barrel. I get a blank stare. SO, again I ask for twist. He says "WTF is that?" I say "you should call the gunsmith" go back to doing my thing.
I saw this guy over the next five years or so at several matches. He almost never failed to have a ND. One time he showed up with 50 rounds of reloads only to have them not fire. When he asked me to check them out I could see that the bullet had moved ever so slightly forward from the force of the primer. Yup, fifty rounds with no powder.
ND?

Just some friendly advice, you should bore sight before sending any ammo down range. Makes things a lot easier and you don’t use any ammo.

If I don't have a muzzle device I use the Bushnell bore-site with the collet and works really well. I was really close to begin with at 25 and 50. Issue was with the angle to the 100 yard target I was shooting through a 2"x6" chunk of wood sending the bullets everywhere. The 25 and 50 yard targets I just cleared the wood so they were right on.

When I hit the range with my buddies, we shoot at a 2” circle with 1 full mag of the same pistol (we all shoot g19 and g43), except the gay ones, they dont participate in mens shooting night much. Interferes with quilting.
Most shots in circle wins. Loser buys beers.
Havent bought a beer yet. ?

Will start to include 10 rds from AR off-hand as a contest too.
Pretty sure I can win that too.

Momma said she doesnt like the inside range. The other people with loaded guns and she doesnt know how competent they are makes her nervous.
I explained thats why I always have a loaded pistol on my hip and my expanded trauma blow-out kit in my bag, it has better goodies than the bag the range has...... And i stand in a place I have a great visual of the rest of them (always get the end lane).
She liked that and said it still makes her nervous.
I told her that kind of paranoia was a little arousing....?

We will try to shoot outdoors at my friends place here shortly.
Then beers and use their hot tub...... gonna be good.
You reading this @Claymorx ? ?

A very long time ago, maybe very early 1970s, when I was about 12 years old, my dad granted me the use of his Red Ryder. He got it when he was around 10 from his aunt, and I still have it today. We lived in a suburban North NJ town that had a very large cemetery right up the block from me, and the other side of that cemetery was what we all called "the meadows". It was old dump areas, tidal flats from the Hackensack River, and loaded with targets of opportunity for me and my buddies. My sister made a cloth case for me on my mom's sewing machine, and my dad's only rule was that I couldn't take the gun out of the case until we were actually across the road from the cemetery and in the meadows, and NEVER take it out of the case before that. So, after lots of trips doing exactly what I was told, I'm walking with a buddy through the cemetery, and the area around this little stream in the middle is just loaded with starlings. I uncased and loaded up. That Red Ryder would take the entire milk carton thing of BBs all at once, so I rolled up the case, stuck it in my pocket, and poured the whole carton in. Before I could even cock the rifle, I hear a couple blips of a siren, and sure enough, there's a car with two of our town cops calling us over to the road where they were watching us. I figured I was dead. They would take the rifle, and I'd have to tell my dad I lost it doing exactly what he told me to never do. Those two cops made me and my buddy sit on the curb while they spent the next hour shooting every last BB in the gun at anything and everything, then they gave it back to me and said to never let them catch me shooting in the cemetery again. I only had to learn that lesson once.

A very long time ago, maybe very early 1970s, when I was about 12 years old, my dad granted me the use of his Red Ryder. He got it when he was around 10 from his aunt, and I still have it today. We lived in a suburban North NJ town that had a very large cemetery right up the block from me, and the other side of that cemetery was what we all called "the meadows". It was old dump areas, tidal flats from the Hackensack River, and loaded with targets of opportunity for me and my buddies. My sister made a cloth case for me on my mom's sewing machine, and my dad's only rule was that I couldn't take the gun out of the case until we were actually across the road from the cemetery and in the meadows, and NEVER take it out of the case before that. So, after lots of trips doing exactly what I was told, I'm walking with a buddy through the cemetery, and the area around this little stream in the middle is just loaded with starlings. I uncased and loaded up. That Red Ryder would take the entire milk carton thing of BBs all at once, so I rolled up the case, stuck it in my pocket, and poured the whole carton in. Before I could even cock the rifle, I hear a couple blips of a siren, and sure enough, there's a car with two of our town cops calling us over to the road where they were watching us. I figured I was dead. They would take the rifle, and I'd have to tell my dad I lost it doing exactly what he told me to never do. Those two cops made me and my buddy sit on the curb while they spent the next hour shooting every last BB in the gun at anything and everything, then they gave it back to me and said to never let them catch me shooting in the cemetery again. I only had to learn that lesson once.
Sounds like Bergen county?

I have 375 H&H that I had GA Precision put a brake on years ago... (they weren’t GA Precision at the time),

One day I’m getting ready to shoot another 5 rounds and some dude walks up to me and asks if its. .50 cal.

I say “no, just a project rifle tomsee what it can do...”

He hangs around and wants to see me shoot it. He goes so far as to get down on my level to watch me shoot.

I warn the dude that there will be a blast due to the ridiculous muzzle one the rifle and that he needs to move.

He doesnt. He actually gets annoyed.

So I ignore him and start shooting....

His toupee gets blown back...

I have 375 H&H that I had GA Precision put a brake on years ago... (they weren’t GA Precision at the time),

One day I’m getting ready to shoot another 5 rounds and some dude walks up to me and asks if its. .50 cal.

I say “no, just a project rifle tomsee what it can do...”

He hangs around and wants to see me shoot it. He goes so far as to get down on my level to watch me shoot.

I warn the dude that there will be a blast due to the ridiculous muzzle one the rifle and that he needs to move.

He doesnt. He actually gets annoyed.

So I ignore him and start shooting....

His toupee gets blown back...

Was it DJT? ??

Reactions: camotoe
Years ago, I took a friend and his two boys to a private range I helped build, as he wanted to do some shooting. He fired a magazine's worth out of my Mossberg 590 with cheap Federal bulk low-brass birdshot, and made the mistake of complaining about the recoil. I walked up, slipped in a load of #4 Turkey shot (3" magnum, if I remember right), and told him to pump it and pull the trigger.

He was not amused. I saw him at the bar that night, and he was stretching his shoulder before warming up to play (he was a musician playing in the bar that night). When he noticed me chuckling at him, he stopped, gave me a half-laughing glare and flipped me off. Later on he told me he learned his lesson - don't complain about recoil, and keep the stock tight to your shoulder with a shotgun.

Years ago, I took a friend and his two boys to a private range I helped build, as he wanted to do some shooting. He fired a magazine's worth out of my Mossberg 590 with cheap Federal bulk low-brass birdshot, and made the mistake of complaining about the recoil. I walked up, slipped in a load of #4 Turkey shot (3" magnum, if I remember right), and told him to pump it and pull the trigger.

He was not amused. I saw him at the bar that night, and he was stretching his shoulder before warming up to play (he was a musician playing in the bar that night). When he noticed me chuckling at him, he stopped, gave me a half-laughing glare and flipped me off. Later on he told me he learned his lesson - don't complain about recoil, and keep the stock tight to your shoulder with a shotgun.
That story brings up a good point about newer shooters and especially the ones who won’t listen because they think they know better. When showing a new shooter how to shoot a rifle or shotgun, I always tell them to make sure that the butt if the stock is firmly against their shoulder. Many times, usually with men, they ignore this and get a good dose of recoil reality.

They think that when I tell them to pull the butt in right that I must be wrong, even though I explain why that reduces felt recoil. They somehow think that they can hold back the recoil.

On the other side of the spectrum, I’ve taught youngsters, who listened well, that have no problem with the recoil.

Reactions: seansmd
That story brings up a good point about newer shooters and especially the ones who won’t listen because they think they know better. When showing a new shooter how to shoot a rifle or shotgun, I always tell them to make sure that the butt if the stock is firmly against their shoulder. Many times, usually with men, they ignore this and get a good dose of recoil reality.

They think that when I tell them to pull the butt in right that I must be wrong, even though I explain why that reduces felt recoil. They somehow think that they can hold back the recoil.

On the other side of the spectrum, I’ve taught youngsters, who listened well, that have no problem with the recoil.

The guy in question is prior service, and had a decent amount of range time at the time this happened. He definitely should have known better, but the reminder was effective. His boys got a laugh out of their dad's reaction, too, as did all of the rest of us.

Reactions: lash
I was about 12 years old with a few of my male friends of the same age at a local pond, when one of these three male (approx. 18 years old) white yahoos sauntered up and started using me for target practice, at about 80 yards away with a Crossman CO2 22 caliber pellet rifle.

They where at the outlet of a pond...while I was out all alone on the pond (80 yards away) standing on top of a homemade 1 man wooden raft.
Then one yahoo started playing chicken with me by cracking shots about 3 feet away from me left and right of the raft that I was standing on with a wooden pole shaft --- Pellets were ricocheting off the flat surface of the water right next to me --- I pleaded with them to stop shooting at me. I then got the raft stuck out on the pond on a submerged deadfall tree.

They finally stopped shooting at me, an walked over to us after I freed the raft from the deadfall. We treated them with caution --- Then the one that was taking pot shots at me decides that he is going to get on that same raft and go out on the pond.

His buddy then took possession of the pellet rifle and him and I started walking up the shore to the pond stream inlet. Then to my astonishment...his buddy started playing chicken with the yahoo out on the pond, by cracking off shots to the left and right of him about 70 yards away.

Sure nuff...one of the pellets ricocheted off the flat surface of the water and hit the guy right in the nuts. The guy suddenly clutched at his privates with both hands through his white Levi jeans as he slowly drifted to shore. The bunch of us were waiting for him at the shore. I saw him take his hands away from his crotch and take a peek at the bloody 22 pellet hole in the crotch of his jeans.

He hops on shore...grabs the pellet rifle, and says to the guy that shot him --- "I'm going to give you 10 seconds to start runnin' then I'm going to start shootin'." The guy said his "wasn't gonna run", so the fella then grabs the barrel of the rifle away from the guy and a fist fight ensues.

So that's when I decided that I had enough and started to run all the way home. Later...my friends came up and said they saw the two finally made up later without any more shots being fired. Not sure whether the guy was really shot in the privates...but the pellet hole looked really close to em.

Last edited:
I was about 12 years old with a few of my male friends of the same age at a local pond, when one of these three male (approx. 18 years old) white yahoos sauntered up and started using me for target practice, at about 80 yards away with a Crossman CO2 22 caliber pellet rifle.

They where at the outlet of a pond...while I was out all alone on the pond (80 yards away) standing on top of a homemade 1 man wooden raft.
Then one yahoo started playing chicken with me by cracking shots about 3 feet away from me left and right of the raft that I was standing on with a wooden pole shaft --- Pellets were ricocheting off the flat surface of the water right next to me --- I pleaded with them to stop shooting at me. I then got the raft stuck out on the pond on a submerged deadfall tree.

They finally stopped shooting at me, an walked over to us after I freed the raft from the deadfall. We treated them with caution --- Then the one that was taking pot shots at me decides that he is going to get on that same raft and go out on the pond.

His buddy then took possession of the pellet rifle and him and I started walking up the shore to the pond stream inlet. Then to my astonishment...his buddy started playing chicken with the yahoo out on the pond, by cracking off shots to the left and right of him about 70 yards away.

Sure nuff...one of the pellets ricocheted off the flat surface of the water and hit the guy right in the nuts. The guy suddenly clutched at his privates with both hands through his white Levi jeans as he slowly drifted to shore. The bunch of us were waiting for him at the shore. I saw him take his hands away from his crotch and take a peek at the bloody 22 pellet hole in the crotch of his jeans.

He hops on shore...grabs the pellet rifle, and says to the guy that shot him --- "I'm going to give you 10 seconds to start runnin' then I'm going to start shootin'." The guy said his "wasn't gonna run", so the fella then grabs the barrel of the rifle away from the guy and a fist fight ensues.

So that's when I decided that I had enough and started to run all the way home. Later...my friends came up and said they saw the two finally made up later without any more shots being fired. Not sure whether the guy was really shot in the privates...but the pellet hole looked really close to em.
Nature weeds out the stupid ones...

Few years ago at an outdoor range, i was talking to a guy next to me. He was sighting in a brand new rifle, and new scope if I remember it correctly, it was a Weatherby Mark V, don't remember the scope, but the whole set up was worth at least 3 mortgage payments. He had just bought it for a guided Colorado sheep hunt. Anyway, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and he's complaining that every adjustment he makes it gets worse. I could tell from where I was that the scope was not leveled and loose as it was getting worse with every shot. I tried to explain what I was seeing and he just didn't get it. He just complained that the gun and scope were crap. I left after 3 hours and he was still trying to work it out.

You're a racist misandrist aren't you? It's no wonder you hate Trump so much. I'll have you know that I'm offended by your prejudice.

Not really a funny story, but the range I used to shoot at a lot used to stack all the cartridges people left in the gun from their rentals in the windowsill behind them. It was quite the collection.

BoD president caught a young active duty GI acting the fool. When he read him the riot act, kid bows up and says, "I'm a trained operator. I guess you don't want operators on your range." The kid shut up when he saw me holding my sides laughing. The president was inducted into the USSOCOM Commando Hall of Honor in 2011.

Horrifying range stories, yes.

My funniest stories are match stories.

My favorite:
Overheard from know everything competitor, talking to one of his disciples:
"You know this stage can't be cleaned with a bolt gun."

5 minutes later from me and the boy's uncle.:
Unc: "Hmmm.....looks like a 15 year old kid can clean it."
Me: "Damn! How does it feel to let a kid wax your ass?"

I remember this!... LOL... I think I might even have a video!

• Love
Reactions: SilentStalkr
Damn some of these stories are great!

I remember going to the 100 yard range and just shooting my 308. I was a real beginner in terms of technique but even then I knew how to trouble shoot common problems thanks to forums like here and youtube. So I'm shooting and minding my own business, same as the other guys on the range. Then one guy walks up and starts shooting and starts complaining to everyone he can't get his rifle to group and can't zero. Everyone else ignores him but I take pity and try to help him out. So I look at this dude's Howa 1500 package with Nikon scope and I was like... something ain't right. So I stand up and look down the rifle and sure enough... The scope is mounted crooked and loose. So I tighten up the rings, still loose. I take off the scope and rings and guess what, this idiot not only misaligned the scope rings on his pic rail, he mashed that shit up and damn near sheared the screw and fucked up his scope base. So I tell him, there ain't shit he can do at the range and that he needs to order a new base and remount the scope.

This dude decides to keep shooting for another 30 min. then goes back to the office and demands a refund because no one was helping him out at the range :rolleyes:. Then he comes back and complains to us that they didn't give him a refund. Range officer comes over just in time to hear me say to this dude, "I told you man, you fucked up your scope base and no matter what you do, you won't be able to shoot groups with this rifle. I told you what to do, go home, order a new scope base and mount it up again... Carefully. Youtube is your friend." Needless to say this dude left embarrassed/mad and I just fist bumped the range officer and went back to shooting groups.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Last USMC birthday. Bunch of 'em standing around the fire at dawn slapping each other on the back shit talking me. No shit, they watched me toss a half full rattle can of black spray paint into the fire pit as I walked away. I soon forgot about it thinking they kept their distance and froze until it exploded. But no, they stayed right there and kept up their Merry bullshit. I had my ears on but heard the explosion. I turned to see a bunch of 'em scared shitless peppered with hot ashes and paint screaming what the fuck was that and blah blah blah. You should have seen their faces when the can finally flipped back down to the ground. They all started that ban cat eyeballing thing looking for me. I'm still waiting for the payback. :)

So my local range has a dedicated 100-yd range and also a separate 300-yd range complete with plenty of PRS type obstacles and props to practice from....steel etc. It's a great training ground even though it only goes to 300. I regularly have been taking my 12-yo son there to shoot. Teaching him how to be a well rounded marksman by not just shooting prone. At other ranges he's tagged steel out to 750-yds.

Anyway, new rule....we members have to "Qualify" to shoot on the 300 and no more guests allowed on the 300! It's pretty much the only range I use at this club.

Here's the funny part....the qual-test.

Bench or prone:
5 shots on paper at 100
3 out of 6 hits on 18" steel at 200
3 out of 6 hits on 18" steel at 300
No time limit.

???

I hope I pass!

Not worrying about that, but knowing my kid isn't allowed to shoot that range anymore really pisses me off. He's a better shot than 90% of the Fudds out there. This range is 30-min from home. All others are 2+ hours.

So my local range has a dedicated 100-yd range and also a separate 300-yd range complete with plenty of PRS type obstacles and props to practice from....steel etc. It's a great training ground even though it only goes to 300. I regularly have been taking my 12-yo son there to shoot. Teaching him how to be a well rounded marksman by not just shooting prone. At other ranges he's tagged steel out to 750-yds.

Anyway, new rule....we members have to "Qualify" to shoot on the 300 and no more guests allowed on the 300! It's pretty much the only range I use at this club.

Here's the funny part....the qual-test.

Bench or prone:
5 shots on paper at 100
3 out of 6 hits on 18" steel at 200
3 out of 6 hits on 18" steel at 300
No time limit.

???

I hope I pass!

Not worrying about that, but knowing my kid isn't allowed to shoot that range anymore really pisses me off. He's a better shot than 90% of the Fudds out there. This range is 30-min from home. All others are 2+ hours.
I'm assuming then, that your range doesn't have 'family' memberships?

I used to do modeling for a friend that was a photographer. When he found out I was a Vet and loved to shoot he came up with the idea for doing a double shoot day.. shoot some pictures and some guns.. We had not done a shoot in a few years as I had gained weight (bad knees and back from service injuries.) so I agree'd for old times sake.. plus who can turn down an opportunity
to go to the range and shoot a few hours??
I dolled up, put on 6" high heeled knee high snake boots, gathered up my custom pink AR I had built along with my purple reptile skin Glock holster and met him at the range.
We had shot there many times before so the range officers knew me and we told them the plan. They informed us that it seemed no one was on the 100yrd pistol/rifle range at the moment we could take pics there, but if anyone decides to shoot the range goes hot again. We thanked him and headed over to that range. Sure enough not a soul present so we start taking some pics. About 15 minutes later a guy comes over and asks if the range is closed since we were just taking pics. We told him he could shoot and that we would be shooting guns as well.. He looked me up and down.. saw my purple range bag, pink rifle case, etc and sneered laughing to himself..
He proceeds to start unloading his car.. This guy had like 10 rifle bags and 20 range bags.. all of them "Tacticool".. about half way through unloading I gave up waiting for him and we called the range hot and started shooting. half way from the car to his bench spot he stops to watch me put 3 in the chest and 2 in the head with rounds almost touching in just under a second..
This guy proceeds to put all his stuff back in his car and drives down to the next range to shoot with all the guys down there. =D

View attachment 7069027

Not gonna lie that's kinda hot.

Last edited:
Was at the SLOSA fish fry, held at the range after hours. The range is shut down, but the event opens up to the shotgun range. While we are all eating merrily, I look out and see what appears to be a pair of kids, about 10, playing pretty downrange in the skeet range.

I was reassured that they knew not to do that when the range was active, but, still gave me the heebie jeebies.

Soooo, this just happened today...(my buddy's scope)

download_20190907_165148.jpg

I have my own range, on my own 120 acres, fully fenced and posted. It is not unusual to find people climbing my gate to use my range or otherwise trespassing. Its about 45 mins from my house, the steel targets are camouflaged and rusted in so they are tough to see from the road. No matter, they still invite themselves. When I'm out there, the gates are closed and locked. Occasionally they park on the highway and glass me, if they can see me. I literally watched a guy, drive to my gate, read the no Trespassing signs and look around, go get his crap from his truck and climb my gate. He went to jail not long after that.

My favorite range stories usually start with finding a car or truck parked at my gate and one, two or three idiots on my property. Holding them for the sheriff and swearing out a civil complaint for "Armed felony Trespass". This is an annual event, sometimes more.

Other than that, for Veteran's day we have a hundred pumpkins, tannerite and a class 3 dealer out for a celebration. It has been pretty impressive, clouds of orange pumpkin goo in the cold autumn rain are a hoot. This is a vet's only event for my cohorts and it has become a tradition. I even have a kid who grows pumpkins for me.

Shooting a danger close tannerite filled pumpkin is actually funny to those of us who stood farther back. For the guy wearing pumpkin guts..............................not so much.

I have a friend with a full auto MP5, the local indoor range that we use to shoot at allowed full auto, but were still uptight about full auto.

We had shot this exact gun at this exact range two prior times, and going full auto for the full magazine never seemed to be a problem for anyone

What I didn't know at the time:
1. there was only one range officer that allowed me and my friend to go full auto for an entire magazine, my friend always found him and talked with him before I ever arrived at the range
2. Official range rules on full auto weapons were if you shot full auto you had to do 2 second bursts (they were afraid of you hitting something other than the target)
3. The cool RO from #1 was not on duty this one day

Well I am not new to full auto, I know how to handle the gun

I grab a mag, full auto the entire thing into a target that was 12 yards down range all at once

Short old range officer with an attitude comes running into the bay screaming stop shooting stop shooting flailing his hands around, I mean you would have thought that someone got shot with the animation and loudness this little man was going on with

and to my surprise he comes running up to me and is telling me I am OUT OF THERE, he is THROWING ME OUT OF THE RANGE for going full auto for more than 2 seconds.

I was like, what? completely dumbfounded, I do this all the time here was my response, he was like no you don't that is not allowed here and you were told.

Well I was never told, my friend owned the gun and he went through the 15-20 minute run down of everything related to shooting full auto at this range, and he failed to mention to me that we had a 2 second rule TODAY that we never had before.

Anyway, here is the funny part, an off duty officer was in the bay next to us, and he obviously knew this range officer really well, he comes over into my bay, looks at the target, looks at the RO and says, Bill I am not sure what your problem is, that guy shot a better group in the dead center of that target with full auto than 90% of the people coming in here shoot with anything else.

I could not help but laugh and I know that did me no good.

Needless to say after that I was allowed to stay, but agreed to stick to the stupid 2 second rule even though I proved there was no need (they are just worried about people shooting the walls and ceiling and going out of control with their full auto, assumption is no one knows how to handle a weapon :rolleyes:

Why 'O why do stupid uneducated and untrained idiiots have to ruin everything for everyone? I am sure the 2 second full auto rule exits because someone did something stupid and they then needed a rule for EVERYONE....

I was at a single lane 100 yard range one morning before deer season. Its a public deal with no posted rules and no range officer. A guy pulls up, gets out and ask if he can run his target down to the end. Once back at the line he shoots 3 shots to check zero, then sends his wife down to mark the shots. She marked them, stepped 10 ft to the right of the target, and he sent 3 more into the paper like it was something they did on th regular. I figured I'd better just leave at that point.

• Haha
Reactions: QuickNDirty
My Dad grew up in rural Canada around Vancouver B.C.. Dad occasionally wrote notes about what he had been doing in a sort of Diary, but didn't write regularly enough to really call it a diary...more of a notebook he occasionally wrote in. They grew up poor, and Dad and his older brother would often go hunting with a 22 rifle the family owned. I was reading in his note book and they would record what kinds of animals they got for the family stew pot.

One entry really disturbed me, and I asked him about it. Dad had written that he and his brother had sneaked into a local dump and waited for sun up to start shooting. He then wrote that he and his brother shot three Chinese peasants. I thought "holy shit, I know times were different, but...." So I asked Dad about the entry. He said "Oh, yea, that was when I was in grade school (I thought YIKES!), and my spelling wasn't so great. It should have been Chinese pheasants....I left out the "h"". I was much relieved.

Mmmmm. Chinease peasant. Tastes like stray dog...

A few years ago a group of us from our pistol club arrived on the 100m range for a rifle shoot. A magpie was pecking around in the dirt at the far back corner of the range.

As I was getting my .22 out, one of the guys says "I bet you can't hit that magpie!"

The range floor wasn't flat, so just to see the bird I had to take the shot standing at a little over 100m with a 4x scope and sub-sonic ammo.

One of the hardest shots I've ever taken, not so much technically but just the (imagined) pressure of only having one shot at the magpie in front of the rest of the club members.

Of course my shot connected, blowing feathers into the air for everyone to see. I just unloaded and calmly walked off acting nonchalant, to the calls of "Fluke! Tin-arse! Lucky etc."

When my 13 yr. old son came to visit, I took him out shooting, but I first loaded the Ruger single six with blanks, then handed him the pistol. He could not hit any of the soda can targets I had set up. I teased him about it, then reloaded with real ammo. I aimed at a can in the middle and knocked off a can on each side of my intended target which amazed me. Naturally, I took it in stride and told him, "There, two for one"... ;)