• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Post your Lapua Scenar VLD kills

Arif

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Canada
i just saw a thread by SAKOstalker and was very pleased to see the performace of Berger VLDs, i would like to request if you can share your pictures of Lapua SCENAR kills for comparison?

Pat(PGS) I know you have had great experience with Scenars, appreciatte if you can post some pictures please

thank you

Cheers

Re: Post your Lapua Scenar VLD kills

139 grain Lapua Scenars, got this guy @ 400yds, scored just over 170.

DSC09594.jpg

MMFDeer3-email.jpg

MMFPSElk-email.jpg

Nice buck and a cow elk taken a few hours apart by the same gal using my GAP .308 and 155gr scenars. If I recall, the elk was 460 meters.

bear2011021.jpg

Last spring's black bear....250 scenar and .338LM from 570 meters.

alandpat027.jpg

139gr scenar.

momsantelope010.jpg

139gr.

antelope2010031.jpg

250gr .338LM, 600 meters. My cousin from Iowa...

antelope2010018.jpg

Same as above but 882 meters.

IMG_1247.jpg

Wyoming, 155gr scenar GAP .308, 530 meters.

bearhunt2010032.jpg

Montana black bear same rifle and load, 450 meters.

NZtrip2010016.jpg

Red Stag, GAP .308 and 155gr scenar.

IMG_0371.jpg

Couple friends with bucks they shot with 155's out of their 30/06's.

scan0007-4.jpg

Good friend and Hide member, dyoung with a nice antelope he killed with my Surgeon .308 at 500 meters and a 155 scenar.

scan0053.jpg

30/06 and same bullet.

scan0039.jpg

scan0036.jpg

My Surgeon .308 was on loan to these two guys from Iowa. They wanted to take it home after the hunt.....grin!

Great pictures,great times...PGS your a killin machine..
That's why i like you..Great...waggs

Thanks Pat, you made my day by sharing the pictures of great Trophis taken with Lapua Scenars at great distances. I know you are also trying out the Bergers as well, how do they both compare? any winners here between the two? Scenars/Bergers

From what I've seen, the scenars are a little harder and penetrate more. I see more exits with them. I like them both. accurate with good BC's. I'll continue to hunt with them...

You guys running the 139's.

How do the 139's perform as far as expansion? So they separate ala smk? Or do they tend to stay together and mushroom?

What would you say would be the minimum impact velocity for the 139?

great buck, thanks for sharing Skinney

A

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys running the 139's.

How do the 139's perform as far as expansion? So they separate ala smk? Or do they tend to stay together and mushroom?

What would you say would be the minimum impact velocity for the 139? </div></div>
i think the 139's hold together a bit more, just got some HD video shooting a nice white female @ about 150yds and the entrance wound was as small as the exit... i actually thought i missed the way the dog ran off, but after reviewing the video footage, we found the coyote 100-150yds down the draw... perfect double lung shot, although i do believe i got lucky not hitting any bone.

Seems like the Bergers and the Scenars perform best on game out past 300yds. The animals I've taken with the Berger VLD's inside 200yds are all just tiny entrance and exits. I've had good results with them out past 300yds though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys running the 139's.

What would you say would be the minimum impact velocity for the 139? </div></div>
i think the 139's hold together a bit more, just got some HD video shooting a nice white female @ about 150yds and the entrance wound was as small as the exit... i actually thought i missed the way the dog ran off, but after reviewing the video footage, we found the coyote 100-150yds down the draw... perfect double lung shot, although i do believe i got lucky not hitting any bone. </div></div>

Thanks

That's not all bad really. Put him on the stretcher and you'll still get good money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckelberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i need to be in montana more... </div></div>

Appearently near Glasgow.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Amen to that.

Nothing impressive this past season. With the drought and Texas not really having big bodied deer these are the 2 of 5 I harvested this year with 155 grain Scenar in my .308. I later moved on to a .223 rifle and neck/head shots on the other 3.

Doe quartering away at about 130 yards. I thought I had a good angle and would miss the shoulder...I was wrong.
Doe.sized.jpg

Buck taken quartering towards me at 80 yards. The bullet hit his spine on the backside of his neck sending bone and jacket downward in between his shoulder blades. My wife recovered a small chunk of the copper jacket in a backstrap I smoked.
Buck_7_Point.sized.jpg

those are some awesome animals you took wow. those scenars look like they did the job. congrats