• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post your range tips. My range tip # 134

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
When travelling to the range with your ladder test rounds all set up in your range box, make sure that they can't go flying and all land in a big mixed up pile when the deer jumps out in front of your truck and you gotta jam on your brakes to avoid hitting it. The fitted white foam inserts can help keep your rounds in place.

Ask me how I know this....

Brown packing tape is a cheap and plentiful option for pasting holes in cardboard targets.

Circle labels and printer paper make for a good target alternative when you leave all the targets you meant to bring at home.

Orange zip ties make for good empty chamber indicators when you leave your actual ECI at home.

Always bring a Sharpie.

9 gauge wire from the hardware store can be really handy to whip up some clay pigeon holders or a drive in the ground target holder.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Less is more. Pack your kit with what you want to do. ...Then grab your next smallest bag and take half of what you initially planned.

I write number/letter codes on my cases with a sharpie. If they do get tossled u can sort them out

I’ll load test two or three rifles in one trip. Targets are at two or three hundred yards. I can’t read the load data on targets that I label that far. So I take a picture with my cell phone before I put the targets up and use the pictures for reference to the loads I’m shooting. It helps alot!!

Rule #1 Leave with the same number you came with.
Rule #2 Carry sufficient insurance in case you forget rule #1

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Don't forget water and snacks. Nothing makes you lose focus like a dry mouth or grumbling tummy!!
Great tip! My buddy and I did that couple years ago, did not take water, and ended up spending a longer time at the range than planned and it got hotter than the forecast. Left the range and raced to the nearest place where we could buy a couple bottles of water. Never again!!

Reactions: clcustom1911
Bring your own staple gun or tacks to hang your targets. Just assume the last jackass used all the tacks as targets before he left

Reactions: LG65CM
Rule #1 Leave with the same number you came with.

Same # of what?

Bullits? I spoze I could hold other shooters at gun point and steal their ammo....

People? Not sure insurance covers shooting someone you brought to the range with ya.....

Guns? It would make it a memorable range trip to leave without one of yyour guns....

Same # of what?

Bullits? I spoze I could hold other shooters at gun point and steal their ammo....

People? Not sure insurance covers shooting someone you brought to the range with ya.....

Guns? It would make it a memorable range trip to leave without one of yyour guns....

Let’s just say mine was a “memorable” trip. Fortunately, I’d exchanged phone numbers with someone I met that day and he called to let me know he had my $6k setup in the back of his truck.

Bought “we pay regardless how stupid you are” insurance that day.

Reactions: garandman
Let’s just say mine was a “memorable” trip. Fortunately, I’d exchanged phone numbers with someone I met that day and he called to let me know he had my $6k setup in the back of his truck.

Bought “we pay regardless how stupid you are” insurance that day.

Good tip ! LOL

Check the range calendar before driving an hour only to discover that the range was closed for scheduled maintenance that day. :)

Don't forget a way to post your target!! We are a paper only club, I like to go out in the late afternoon, so as to avoid the Bozo's.
The club is 50 miles from my house and when I got there it was good so far... no Bozo's. It was then I realized I had no staplegun, no tape no nails, screws or any other way to attach my target to the frame.
So....Important lesson! remember your staplegun !!

This did have a happy ending though, I did remember my cigar, I had my coffee and an hour later a nice fat chuck decided to feed near the 200 yard line. Poor choice......

After spending a half hour pasting all the bullet holes in the backer and stapling a new center on, make sure you run you target up in the cartridge before you leave the pits.

I usually discover mine isn’t up and the pits are sealed right after I’ve driven back, parked and walked down to thousand yard line to shoot.