• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post Your Targets, Please, for Research

Josh Smith

Mosin Fan
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Wabash IN
smith-sights.com
Hello,

I'm always improving the stuff I make.

Will you folks please post your 100 or 200 yard targets shot with c. WWII sniper's rifles? Mosins, Mausers, etc; snipers and ex-snipers would be appreciated.

Distance, load, and rifle as well as irons or optics would be appreciated.

Regards,

Josh

Edit: I was asked via PM to be more specific: Any surplus rifle is allowed. My methods for the Mosin can get sub-moa with a lot of rifles, and I'd like to see anything with any surplus rifle and any ammo. Just specify!

Last edited:
I just talked to a guy today, he had to be 80ish and he told me when he was in the military they shot 100 and 200 yards standing, 300 kneeling and 600 yards laying down and he was amazed he could get MOA at 600. I think he said an M1 or something of that nature,, I have my doughts,, but maybe a 3 shot group?

Not sure if this fits the bill the rifle is a 1934 mosin but modified, shortened floated barrel. Stock trigger with a trigger job. 47.9 grains of reloader 15, 155 grain spitzer 100 yards with optics. image.jpg it felt like a pulled the one low right.

Thank you, Gents! I'm suspect of that Garand report, too, but there's always one accidentally in every batch built accidentally. That's how Mosin snipers were selected.

Heywire, that's great!

By the way, I was asked to be more specific: Any surplus rifle is allowed. My methods for the Mosin can get sub-moa with a lot of rifles, and I'd like to see anything with any surplus rifle and any ammo. Just specify!

Regards,

Josh

M1 Garand, (Springfield built in Nov. '41) TE & ME says it should be shot out:

M2 Ball Greek HXP, fired prone, slung un-supported using SR-1 (200 yard target reduced for 100 yards)

M1%20Target.JPG

Another Old Post, but I'll add some targets from the rifle I built at the CMP's Advanced Maint. Course a year ago last Aug.

Take into account this is a new barrel, and greek M2 HXP, right out of the class. They yard line is listed under each target, 200, 300, & 600 yards, shot prone with sling.

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

I wasn't impressed with the HXP at 600 so I tried some reload 168 A-max. As you can see it shoots lower but tighter groups. A couple clicks north would be better.
IMG_1068.JPG