• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Potential Problem with Glass or Gun

Psycho_Smurf

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
Piney Woods
Ok Well I took my second range trip with the new 700AAC-SD yesterday only to be very agrivated.

Lets start from the begining, I mounted a Millet TRS-1 on her and boresighted it, took it out to the range and fired 3 round to get it track. I cleaned the barrel, fired foul shot and four others touching each other. Practicly extatic I quickly shifted gears to getting 2 other rifles sighted in thinking this one was fine.

Well the next day I figured I wold do some dry firing stints in the back yard so I lay out only to notice I can see faint fuzzy areas some times ? kinda like when you get the black when you have an improper sight picture only its just hazzy ?

The next day I run out to recheck Zero on my .223 and the AAC-SD .308 The .223 shot lights 5 rounds stacked on each other again I'm extatic. I bring up the .308 fire 2 rounds touching, and then the 3rd and forth drop 2-3" to the 8 O'clock position the 5th round strikes dead in the center. I'm at a loss so I pack it in and head home.

Questions
I have mounted several scopes in the past, yet this one I can't seem to find a good eye releaf/sight picture without getting BROW CHECKED, is there something wrong the scope ?

Would extreme humidity and 95 degree heat make the rifle act that way ?

I have one millet buck gold on my .223 yet this TRS just doesnt seem to be the same Has Millet really gone that down hill ?

Re: Potential Problem with Glass or Gun

If you're getting brow checks you may be too close to the ocular. Eye relief on the millett should be 3.5". I've never had tacking or holding problems with my milletts, but I have had a had time getting a good site picture sometimes - I usually ends up being due to artificial light conditions or me just being tired.
As for the fogginess, it could be that the tube sprung a leak? Mine was consistent from 40-105 degrees.

My main issue seems to be, eye relief concerned. For instance to get a good sight picture without any blurryness I lose all eye relief and wind up getting hit with the scope. If I back off to get proper eye relief I lose my sight picture and start seeing blurryspots around the edges but never top the point of them turning black.

That combined with jumping zero makes me think the scope is fryed ? But there has been no damage to it that I can tell, I have a Millet Buck Gold on a .223 and love it but this TRS sucks..

I sent my TRS-1 back to SWFA due to extra crappy glass.

What mine had was almost like a washing-out effect, but only in direct sunlight and at powers above about 10x. In the shade it looked fine.

Hope you figure it out, keep us posted. I'd say call Millett but they didn't have anything to say to me except accusing me of not having it set up right.

My suggestion: Send it back and get a Vortex Viper or Bushell Elite series scope for about the same price. Also the SuperSniper is an excellent scope but not variable magnification.