• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing potholes in the bore

Silvan

Sergeant of the Hide
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
Texas
Gents,
What could cause these potholes / damages throughout the bore?
200 rounds, 6.5 Creedmoor
Foreign material, improper cleaning?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 109
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 128
So ... I'm going to ask a stupid question. Are you "sure" they're "potholes"? I had a similar view of a new barrel and initially thought they were potholes. Then I started scrubbing the ever-lovin' crap out of it and they started to clean away. So admittedly, mine were a bit larger, with fewer occurrences, and most in the last 1/3 of the barrel, but my point is still (sort of) valid. Here's my advice ... if you're absolutely certain they're "ditches", then the barrel needs to be replaced by the maker. If you're not sure, zero in on a particular formation at a particular distance, and clean the barrel really well, and see if some of the "potholes" shrink or go away altogether. If you're sure they're actually holes, then please ignore me.

Looks like corrosion, Can you detail your cleaning ritual and products used please.
Yes, I think it's corrosion, too.
Just a regular cleaning, maybe not at the same day after the shooting range, bore tech

Don’t want to open a can of worms.
Seriously dude? Just say who made the blank... If you say Bear Creek Arsenal or Criterion (or several others), then we know it could legit be a shit barrel blank. And if it's a big name with a good reputation, maybe they would be willing to look at it, or replace it for you...

Or, are you 99% sure you did something that caused this, and don't want people to think it was a bad barrel...