• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder choice for 16" AR15 loads

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
My reloading books are still in the mail, but I'm doing some research. I'm told that I need a fast burning powder to feed my AR15, to get more combustion in the shorter barrel (vs longer barreled bolt guns). It's a 16" 1:7 twist barrel, which will get 55 gr bullets for the most part, though I did get a few hundred Hornady 77 gr bullets from a friend.

So far I've heard ARComp and IMR4350 are good powders for this application. Thoughts?

Re: Powder choice for 16" AR15 loads

I don't think you'd classify IMR-4350 as a fast burner.
The AR-comp should be good, if not look at H335, Win 748.

This is stuff I've tried, many more out there.
Do you know where to find a burn rate chart?

I did not even know burn rate charts existed!

P.S. should I be looking for a fast burning powder for my .308 as well? I have a Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD 18" barrel bolt gun that I would like to reload for as well.

H 335, Tac, Win 748, and BLC2 up 60gr bullets.
69-75gr Varget and RL-15 seem to work well...

Also look at CFE 223.

Benchmark would be and excellent choice for that bullet weight and Benchmark is not only a temp stable powder but it flows and meters like water which makes using it a pleasure. Especially if you're using a progressive.

I like accurate 2230 for everything from 52grSMK to 60gr Nosler Ballistic tips.
2230 is a ball powder that meters through a powder measure like water.

ARComp works well for 55gr through 77gr in my 16". The burn rate is right where you need it for .223, not like other common .223 powders. For example, VARGET is on the slow side, so it works well with heavy bullets, but not so much with the lighter stuff.

CFE-223 and Varget topped off with 69 smk's have worked well in my LWRC's and KAC SR-15....

Think I might try Benchmark with my 10.5" AR pistol and 55gr bullets. Out of everything talked about, it's the fastest burning so far. Any other suggestions? I currently have been using RL-15 for my 16" setup with 62gr bullets.

Be loading with IMR4895, got some AR-COMP a few weeks ago. Testing some AR-COMP loads today in the AR, and also in single shot 308 with a 147gr FMJ boat tail. Not many reviews on AR-COMP and not a lot of guys around here use it or even heard of it, so I want to be a pioneer. haha.

Bullet weight is a very important factor in powder selection. H335 works well for lighter (55 grn) 223 bullets and Varget for 69grn+.

OFG

I agree with 100% OFG, but am wondering why you would want to shoot 55gr bullets with 1:7 twist. Seems like you shouldn't shoot less than 6gr. IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flintlock Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with 100% OFG, but am wondering why you would want to shoot 55gr bullets with 1:7 twist. Seems like you shouldn't shoot less than 6gr. IMHO.</div></div>

Price, availability, velocity, terminal performance, because you can? Contrary to popular belief, 55gr stabilizes fine in 1:7" barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H335 and BLC2 </div></div>

Agree. No muss no fuss. Hard to beat these two for the combination the OP has in mind. Does remind me I need another keg of BLC2.

H322 and 8208XBR. Just because they haven't been mentioned and that's what I get along with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H322 and 8208XBR. Just because they haven't been mentioned and that's what I get along with. </div></div>

I use IMR8208 xbr with a Hornady 68gr in a 16" AR15, and it shoots very well.

IMR8208 xbr is a short extruded powder that meters fairly well in a Hornady powder measure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullet weight is a very important factor in powder selection. H335 works well for lighter (55 grn) 223 bullets and Varget for 69grn+.

OFG </div></div>
couldn't agree more, no matter what barrel length.