• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Powder choice

Cancon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2012
Greetings Gents, first post!

I'm really just looking for an excuse to share my current favorite pic disguised as a question.

So first, the question. I'm just beginning to work up a load for my 300 Win Mag. I'm looking for max vel at reasonable pressures. Extending the tube life and my shoulder are also a consideration, but of course accuracy is the name of the game at long range. If that means a little less barrel life and a bit more kick so be it. The rifle is a rebarreled Savage 111 now sporting a 30" McGowen. I've already loaded some 200 gr SMK's using IMR 7828 and had good groups at 68.9 gr, 70.9 gr, and 71.9 gr. COL is 3.495". I'll be switching to the 208 A-max for the projectile (As soon as I get some more primers
mad.gif
). My intent was to use Retumbo but since I can get good vel out of 7828 and I'm already onto a node (with the SMK) is it worth the barrel life and time? I'm assuming 7828 and 7828SSC are interchangeable, will a switch to 7828ssc just mean it will go down the funnel faster and not much else? I'm also assuming a 208 A-Max will shoot about the same as the 200 SMK at about the same vel with the same powder (hoping is more like it). My original intent with Retumbo was to avoid temp sensitivity and to take full advantage of the 30" barrel. Switch to Retumbo with the new bullet, or stay with 7828, what do you think?

First group after a rough zero, 165 gr SGK not sure powder other than IMR 4350 or H 4831. How's this for a good omen?

6 shots at 100 yds (had 6 left, what good is 1?).
IMG_2254.jpg

I had good groups at 68.9 gr, 70.9 gr, an 71.9 gr. I think this one shows the potential.

5 shots at 100 yds 71.9 gr IMR 7828 200 gr SMK COL 3.495"
IMG_2262.jpg

Re: Powder choice

I have seen some impressive velocities from Retumbo in the big magnums, plus it is as you stated and "extreme" series powder. I would give it a go.