• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Choices/Burn Rates Etc..

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Note: This is NOT about specific powders--its about how to figure what powders will work for a given cartridge.

With all the asshatery of components I've looked at the burn rate chart for various powders, and cannot for the life of me figure out rhyme or reason as to why some powders are used in some rounds but not others. Not only that but it seems everyone has slightly different burn rate charts and that triggers my OCD like no other.

Example: Varget is all the rage in 6 and 6.5 (and unobtanium---but that's another thread). I look up alternatives and use burn rate charts to find similar:

However other sites had DIFFERENT Burn rates
https://www.1967spud.com/powder-burn-rate-chart/ (Closer to IMR/Hodgdon)

Crazy Enough of all it seems 308 uses faster burning powders and 6.5 Creed uses "Almost Magnum" Powders ad 300 Win Mag uses "Mostly Sorta Magnum Powders" I can't make heads or tails of what should work, what's a good alternative, and what is useless Internet BS.

And that's before we even get into Temp Stability and actually performance for my bullet etc...

Is there a rhyme or reason or is it really trial and error. To me it seems when most people are using Varget/H4350 in 6.5 they must be on to something (including top shooters on the PRS blog). But Varget and H4350 are WAAAY different (or at least it looks like they are)--one is a "Medium Rifle" Varget the other is a "Semi-Magnum" H4350

And trying to find 300 Win Mag alternatives to H1000 when that thing will eat just about any powder and everyone claims that they can get 2900 FPS on a 200gr round with any powder on the Far right of the IMR chart and I REALLY don't have barrel life or components to f around with 5 different powders.

Feeling really freakin lost or like there is some piece of the picture I am missing.

Last edited:
Short answers ... I use Winchester StaBall 6.5 for my 6.5 Creedmoor, and Accurate MagPro for 300 Win Mag and 300 PRC. Good results thus far, that are mapping pretty close to projections from my QuickLOAD software. I try to pick a powder that gets to about 95% fill, and 100% burn prior to projectile exit, and has a strong velocity profile. YMMV ... this is just what I've used for powders, and what I've been able to stock up on recently. Good luck finding what works for you. Lately it's more about what you can find, than what you prefer. It sucks.

All depends what a given vendor tested a powder with. Burn rate can vary based on case capacity and projectile.

One of your missing x-factors is density. The Lee dipper chart is about as close you will get for a comparison (or even stated density...)

there’s generally ranges for all cartridges depending on Bullet weight, case volume and caliber.
Eventually you kinda learn what powders are appropriate for what applications.
I learned rifle loading starting with 223 then 260 then 7 saum and 338 Norma , I kinda learned a fairly wide application of powders.
l learned stuff like H4831 is just slow and bulky enough that it’s not optimal for 260 but would probably come into its own for a full power 6.5x55 with just a bit more case volume than the 260 and it’s absolutely amazing in the 7 saum with lighter 168/175 Bullets.

I agree with OP this is kinda like some vodo stuff. I can use varget for .223, or .308 but not apparently for .243 which is right in between. Totally nuts!!

I agree with OP this is kinda like some vodo stuff. I can use varget for .223, or .308 but not apparently for .243 which is right in between. Totally nuts!!
Not nuts at all.

How much powder is burning and what size of hole it’s burning through is a major factor in powder choice.

243 uses similar charges as 308 but through much smaller hole do a slower powder is a better choice than 308.

Last edited: