• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Choices

Woolsocks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
Washington
new to reloading. I’m going to be loading 30-06 and 28 nosler. In the interest of economy, are there powders that work well for both?

Looked at load data for both, but they just tell you what “could” be loaded safely, regardless if it’s likely to perform well.

Should note, I’m looking to push 180grain bullets down a 22 inch barrel on my ‘06, and 175grain down my 24” 28nos barrel.

I’m a big fan of Reloader. 26 has been fantastic for my WM and PRC

I use rl16 in 3006, rl33 in 28 nosler, these powders are worlds part.

Do not try to load the same powder in these two completely different cartridges.

Get a reloading manual and read it.

I use rl16 in 3006, rl33 in 28 nosler, these powders are worlds part.

Do not try to load the same powder in these two completely different cartridges.

Get a reloading manual and read it.

For example. Looks like Hodgden offers IMR 7977 load data for both 30-06 and 28 nos.

Understanding all that means is that it theoretically can be used for both at safe pressures..my question is - is it particularly good for both?

Sounds like from your answer you’d say no. Perhaps it’s borderline for both, and will not perform all that well in either. I’d be better off not trying to be clever - just buy a can of Winchester 760, and a can of retumbo..

Understanding all that means is that it theoretically can be used for both at safe pressures..my question is - is it particularly good for both?
You have to try it in your rifles, no way of knowing how it will perform any other way . Variables make a huge difference also,such as primer, brass, bullet, etc.

For example. Looks like Hodgden offers IMR 7977 load data for both 30-06 and 28 nos.

Sounds like from your answer you’d say no. Perhaps it’s borderline for both, and will not perform all that well in either. I’d be better off not trying to be clever - just buy a can of Winchester 760, and a can of retumbo..
7977 has been great in my 300wm and 280. Another one to look at for both would be 4831 or 4831SC. They will both be best for heavy for caliber bullets in the 30/06 178+. 4000MR and hybrid 100V might be a couple more to look at.