• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing powder coating

kish

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio
Has anyone ever heard of powder coated a barrel and action? A guy told me the other day he could powder coat a gun that he has a high temp powder for the barrel.
It came up when i was talking about duracoating a rifle in flat black. Dont know if this is the right place to post this or it should be under the stupid question category

It's been done a few times, just not that common. Cerakote is better and way more common.
Jim

I have powdercoated some other things, mostly aluminum parts, and I can tell you that I would powder coat only as a last resort on a firearm. I really don't like powder coating. Having done some cerakote work in the past as well, that is the cat's pajamas. If done right, its hard, its thin, its durable, and will last forever. Powder coating might end up being cheaper, but I think in the end you will not be pleased with it. Powder coating goes on something like 10-15x as thick as cerakote and its softer so its not as durable and will probably end up looking like crap in the course of a few shooting trips.

I have powdercoated some other things, mostly aluminum parts, and I can tell you that I would powder coat only as a last resort on a firearm. I really don't like powder coating. Having done some cerakote work in the past as well, that is the cat's pajamas. If done right, its hard, its thin, its durable, and will last forever. Powder coating might end up being cheaper, but I think in the end you will not be pleased with it. Powder coating goes on something like 10-15x as thick as cerakote and its softer so its not as durable and will probably end up looking like crap in the course of a few shooting trips.
Well I think I will look into ceracote since I am ruff on things

Don't waste your time, and that's coming from someone who does powder coating as a profession. I've done a few shotguns with "vein" powders from NIC, looked cool as shit but nowhere near the corrosion or wear resistance of Cerakote. I added a coat of Duracoat clear to all of them and it helped seal things up and keep scuffing to a minimum, but still not as tough as Cerakote.

Most powders will apply at 2-2.5 mils, but some will go as high as 5-5.5 for optimum coverage, throw a coat of clear on and you'll add another mil or so to that. Most guns aren't built loose enough for that kind of material buildup.