• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

'Powder for 7mm-08?

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
I am going to load some up for a buddy of mine's Rem model 7. It has a 20" barrel on it. This gun is strictly for hunting out to 400 yards and mostly in the woods. He gave me some 140 B-tips and IMR 4350 powder to load for him. His uncle(who undoubedtly just took a shot in the dark) loaded some with this combo in 47 grains and it shot like crap 6" at 200. I am thinking the powder is too slow for the short barrel and thought about loading it with Varget or Rl-15. What do yall think?

Re: 'Powder for 7mm-08?

I only have a 24" tube in my 7rem mag. I couldn't get as good of velocity from h-1000 as I could with 4831 and the 162's. My velocities maxed out 2 grains short of max charge, I believe this was because of my shorter barrel. Kinda thinking the same thing might happed with 4350 in 7-08 in the short tube. I loaded from 42-44 with Varget last night and will report back on my velocities, it might help somebody in the future.

I had a Remington 700 LVSF in 7mm-08 that loved 140gr B-Tips and RL-15. It shot that load way to good for a off the self Remington. Many 100yd. three shot one hole groups. Varget should also do good for you. The gun liked Varget too but not as much as RL-15. Like an idiot I sold the rifle to my brother and I so far have not been able to buy back.

I have a 700 SPS Varmint 24" barrel coming in this week or next. Will be using RL-15 and Varget for 140gr. and below. H4350 for 162 Amax.

I load the 139 Hornady GMX over 42.5gr Varget, Win brass, CCI 200 primers. This load is for my rifle so work up to it. I know it's not the same bullet but it should be in the ballpark. It's an accurate load out to 300. That's as far as I've shot it. I found Varget works well for bullets 140gr and less in the 7-08. YMMV..

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to load some up for a buddy of mine's Rem model 7. It has a 20" barrel on it. This gun is strictly for hunting out to 400 yards and mostly in the woods. He gave me some 140 B-tips and IMR 4350 powder to load for him. His uncle(who undoubedtly just took a shot in the dark) loaded some with this combo in 47 grains and it shot like crap 6" at 200. I am thinking the powder is too slow for the short barrel and thought about loading it with Varget or Rl-15. What do yall think?</div></div>

Is the rifle bedded/barrel floated?

Also is the scope a proven scope, and everything tightened up? Seen many "bad" groups not be due to the ammo...

43.5 grains of Varget was the ticket. .642" outside .358" center to center. Only had 3 fps E.S. between the 3 shots. Same point of impact as factory loads running 2795 fps. The h4350 loads that his uncle had loaded at 47 grains (1 grain under book max) were running 2577. So undoubtedly 4350 is too slow for a 20" tube. The barrel was contacting the stock in one place so I sanded it down before shooting, gun is not bedded.

IMG_0017.jpg

If you've reached the max at 43 grains, forget what the chrono and paper says and get a slower burning powder and work up another load.

I think I'm done with this one. I shot a sub .5" group at 120 yards out of an unbeded 15 year old hunting rifle. Was shooting off a wadded up jacket for a front rest and sand bag rear rest off of a wooden wire spool for a table at duck camp.