• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder for Short Barrel 300WM?

LanceS4803

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2011
Middle TN
From reading old posts I see that RL-22 is one of the top recommended powders for standard length barrel 300WM, with IMR4350 right in there as well.

My rifle has a 21" barrel, so I am anticipating needing a slightly faster burning powder. Intended bullets are in the 180gr range for hunting.
A couple of questions:
Do I actually need a faster powder in the shorter barrel?
Is RL-22 recommended, or RL-17/IMR 4350? All three have loads for 300WM.

Last edited:
That thing must be a fire breather. I don't think you can get a powder fast enough to completely burn in that short barrel without blowing it to pieces.

I think the 4350 burn rate is your best bet with nothing slower than 4831.

4350 is what I was thinking would be in the ballpark.

Factory Savage 116 Bear Hunter
This rifle is very handy. 23" total length barrel when you consider another 2" on the end when adding the adjustable (on/off) brake.

My 700P has been cut down to 22" and it shoots 71.4grs of RL-22 with a 190gr SMK like a laser. Have had it cut down for the last 100 rounds and now, I'm wondering why I didn't cut it down sooner.